launch was a massively stunning success, their numbers are still going to pale vs. the iPhone's, so why play that game?
    Apple's launches are always built around a gigantic keynote, media cover, long launch day line-ups and then crowing about big sales. Except that the sales don't hold up.

They recently crowed about how they moved 5 million iPhone 5's on launch weekend, which is terrific by any measure. But those sales don't maintain. As successful as iPhone is, have you ever seen Apple have 150 million iPhones sold in a quarter ?

There is no way RIM can match the Apple hype machine when it comes to a launch event.
    02-06-13 09:39 PM
    Well on that we agree - if he indeed used the statistic that way. I haven't seen it blatantly misused (though I've seen many examples where the READER could misinterpret it!). One other thing that is problematic however for RIM now is that, in terms of installed base, they are starting over at 0, given the complete break in platform! Quite frankly, it would be in their best interest to use deceptive stats on that front! As of now, there are many more Windows users than BB10. Blech...every time I even say windows I feel like I should spit. (woolerton!)

Only a Canadian even has even a 10% chance of understanding the last reference.
    The Corner Gas reference made me laugh.

This is what Eric said:

Windows Phone sales exceeded BlackBerry sales in the U.S. during the fourth quarter of 2012, says Strategy Analytics. (This implies "quarterly sales".)

The real battle in the U.S. smartphone market isn't for first or second place, at least not yet. Apple and Google will continue to tussle for the smartphone crown for some time to come. No, the real war will be waged for third place. Right now, it looks like there may have been a change in the rankings.

"Microsoft Windows Phone overtook BlackBerry OS to become the third largest smartphone platform in the influential United States market during Q4 2012," reported Strategy Analytics. "It was the first time Microsoft has surpassed BlackBerry since 2006." (This implies active users)

Note - I asked both the author of the study and Eric to confirm whether the study measures quarterly sales or active users ... neither replied.

Windows Phone Tops BlackBerry In U.S. - Mobility - Smartphones -
    02-06-13 09:43 PM
    They sold 6.9 million handsets in the prior quarter, but a year ago, they were selling 14 million handsets in the quarter.
    Actually, they shipped 6.9. They sold through 8.4 million to customers.
    kelexiong likes this.
    02-06-13 09:45 PM
    Actually, they shipped 6.9. They sold through 8.4 million to customers.
    Can you let me know where you found the 8.4 million number? I couldn't find it in their latest financial statements. Makes sense since they've been drawing down inventory for some time now. I'm trying to do some back of the envelope calculations which I will share with everyone once they're complete.
    02-06-13 11:52 PM
    Can you let me know where you found the 8.4 million number? I couldn't find it in their latest financial statements. Makes sense since they've been drawing down inventory for some time now. I'm trying to do some back of the envelope calculations which I will share with everyone once they're complete.
    I think it was on the conference call after - RIM's Q3 2013 earnings: $2.7 billion revenue, $114 million adjusted net loss, CIO to retire
    kelexiong likes this.
    02-07-13 12:36 AM
    That is assuming that the Storm remained the best-selling launch of any BlackBerry product until now. They didn't say that they sold 3x as much as the Storm did, but rather 3x their next best selling launch week in the UK.
    Also, it ignores the point that it was a regional comment since the top seller in one country may not be true for all of them since the popularity in for example the uk grew quite a lot from the days of the storm.

Realistically though, all this stuff is fairly meaningless since the lack of new releases recently will have increased demand not to mention that in the past BB was never one that lived or died by launch figures either as they maintained steady sales throughout the life of a product and all we can really look to right now is that places are selling out so that would seem to indicating that they are exceeding the expectations that they had for the device which is a good thing.
    02-07-13 01:47 AM

They usually give it out during the Q&A in the investor calls. Usually the CFO says it. Check the last earnings call but go right to the questions @ 22:30
    kelexiong likes this.
    02-07-13 06:24 AM
57 123