02-06-13 01:11 PM
    Yep, always good to get it right from the source. Glad they sorted this out!!!
    02-06-13 01:13 PM
    Well that seems pretty straight forward. I'm happy to hear it. Now they just need to keep improving it and getting apps on board in time for the US launch.
    02-06-13 01:15 PM
    where is the hard numbers, they must have them to make this statement
    Admorris likes this.
    02-06-13 01:18 PM
    someone find their current record for best launch, then do the math...lol
    digitalman101 likes this.
    02-06-13 01:23 PM
    They don't
    02-06-13 01:26 PM
    Well we can try and extrapolate a bit here...

I think the Storm was their previous most successful product launch (at least as far as pre-orders and opening week sales are concerned).
    The storm sold about 500k in the first month, so at 50% better we could expect 750,000 first month sales.

But that being said, the article only states that it was 50% better in Canada, and I couldn't find any Canada-only storm sales numbers.
    richardat likes this.
    02-06-13 01:28 PM
    The storm sold about 500k in the first month, so at 50% better we could expect 750,000 first month sales.
    mikeo007, can you let me know where you found the 500k number? I'm interested in doing some research myself. I'll share on this thread once I'm done.
    02-06-13 01:30 PM
    Well we can try and extrapolate a bit here...

I think the Storm was their previous most successful product launch (at least as far as pre-orders and opening week sales are concerned).

But that being said, the article only states that it was 50% better in Canada, and I couldn't find any Canada-only storm sales numbers.
    It's not the whole month's sale but first day's sale that they are talking about.
    02-06-13 01:30 PM
    i was thinking the storm was the biggest launch also. maybe 9900 but couldnt find any data really
    02-06-13 01:31 PM
    Yeah it'd be good if we had some numbers.
    02-06-13 01:31 PM
    WATERLOO, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Feb. 6, 2013) - BlackBerry� (BBRY)(BB.TO) today issued the following statement:

"In Canada, yesterday was the best day ever for the first day of a launch of a new BlackBerry smartphone. In fact, it was more than 50% better than any other launch day in our history in Canada," said Thorsten Heins, President & CEO of BlackBerry. "In the UK, we have seen close to three times our best performance ever for the first week of sales for a BlackBerry smartphone."
    02-06-13 01:33 PM
    I'm reluctant to go with PR speak. Remember this:

StreetInsider.com - Research In Motion (RIMM) Fights Back Against Negative PlayBook Rumors

Let's not over-project... be happy that the current offering is selling, and cross fingers for the US release.
    Shanerredflag and drummer_god like this.
    02-06-13 01:33 PM

StreetInsider.com - Research In Motion (RIMM) Fights Back Against Negative PlayBook Rumors

Let's not over-project... be happy that the current offering is selling, and cross fingers for the US release.
    Your point is great. That's the thing that I think is being lost everywhere. It doesn't need to outsell the iPhone. it just needs to reverse the trend of declining BlackBerry sales. That's a great start.
    02-06-13 01:36 PM
    Also in the statement, 3x record in UK means it is 200% better than any launch in UK.

Imagine replicating one of these numbers in the US.

Just to give everybody some perspective, BlackBerry does NOT need to achieve Apple level volume to sky rocket. With only <5% market share last year, BBRY only needs to convert 1 in 10 iOS/Android buyers and their revenue will TRIPLE.
    Tom689 likes this.
    02-06-13 01:37 PM
    Does anyone remember a line up for any BlackBerry ever? With the exception of the PlayBook when they cut the price, I don't remember any before. Never struck me as
    'that kind of product'. Apple is all about 'launch day sales' but they don't hold up throughout the quarter. (If so, the iPhone would be moving - what - 90 million units a quarter). It's part of their marketing strategy.
    02-06-13 01:38 PM

Very different non-speak there. In that article they talk about exceeding expectations. In this one they use numbers: >50% better than any Canadian launch; 3X any UK launch.
    02-06-13 01:40 PM
    mikeo007, can you let me know where you found the 500k number? I'm interested in doing some research myself. I'll share on this thread once I'm done.
    Good ol' Wikipedia, in the BB Storm article. Didn't follow the source link though, so not sure where the number came from originally.

It's not the whole month's sale but first day's sale that they are talking about.
    Ya I know, that's why I said "we could expect 750,000 first month sales"
    kelexiong and richardat like this.
    02-06-13 01:40 PM
    if they are selling more phones at launch that any other point in thier history - even in their prime - then this is a good sign.
    if we keep hearing things like this as the phone launches in France, China, India, etc. how can this not be viewed as successful?
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    02-06-13 01:41 PM
    Does anyone remember a line up for any BlackBerry ever? With the exception of the PlayBook when they cut the price, I don't remember any before. Never struck me as
    'that kind of product'. Apple is all about 'launch day sales' but they don't hold up throughout the quarter. (If so, the iPhone would be moving - what - 90 million units a quarter). It's part of their marketing strategy.
    Storm had quite a few lineups in North America.
    02-06-13 01:41 PM
    playbook on release day also had some small lines, it sold like 50k first day i tihnk
    02-06-13 01:43 PM
    when i was in rogers there were line ups for the Z10 and there were 4 rogers employees taking customer requestsi picked up mine when the rush died down then as i was leaving there were another 15 people waiting.

there was also a BlackBerry rep and he told me he couldn't say when they would release BB10 for the playbook which is a damn shame lol but they had a concrete date
    02-06-13 01:46 PM
    playbook on release day also had some small lines, it sold like 50k first day i tihnk
    Also there were less places carrying the PlayBook because there were only WiFi versions and carriers didn't carry them at first.
    02-06-13 01:46 PM
    Might come down to the type of users and fans rather than type of product, if you think about it.
    02-06-13 02:00 PM
    If the Storm sold 500.000 units worldwide in the first month, I think this is not so good news.
    02-06-13 02:02 PM
57 123