Tuesday, June 5, 10:19 AM Global phone sales are looking "modestly better" in Q2 than they did in a weak Q1, says Canaccord's Mike Walkley after conducting checks. However, U.S. smartphone sales have remained soft due to aging phone lineups (ed: other factors could also be playing a role). Walkley expects the Galaxy S III, next-gen iPhone, and other new hardware to produce a stronger 2H. His checks also indicate Research In Motion (RIMM) and Nokia (NOK) are seeing further weakness due to poor BlackBerry/Symbian sales.

Tech Currents - Seeking Alpha
    06-05-12 10:03 AM
    Tuesday, June 5, 10:19 AM Global phone sales are looking "modestly better" in Q2 than they did in a weak Q1, says Canaccord's Mike Walkley after conducting checks. However, U.S. smartphone sales have remained soft due to aging phone lineups (ed: other factors could also be playing a role). Walkley expects the Galaxy S III, next-gen iPhone, and other new hardware to produce a stronger 2H. His checks also indicate Research In Motion (RIMM) and Nokia (NOK) are seeing further weakness due to poor BlackBerry/Symbian sales.

Tech Currents - Seeking Alpha
    your title and this last line dont match....
    06-05-12 10:08 AM
    your title and this last line dont match....
    If i switched it then the title and first line wouldnt match.

"His checks also indicate Research In Motion (RIMM) and Nokia (NOK) are seeing further weakness due to poor BlackBerry/Symbian sales."

Meaning, q2 is better than q1 but still weak. My headline does not lie.
    06-05-12 10:09 AM
    the first line is about "global phones" in general and nothing about BB specifically. You are taking the first line and just saying that must mean BB sales are up also which you cannot do.
    06-05-12 10:13 AM
    the first line is about "global phones" in general and nothing about BB. You are taking the first line and just saying that must mean BB sales are up also which you cannot do.
    MR howarmat. This is about q2 sales being modestly better than q1. Read it again. Its in the first line!
    06-05-12 10:14 AM
    ok lets break this down here...
    Tuesday, June 5, 10:19 AM Global phone sales are looking "modestly better" in Q2 than they did in a weak Q1
    That means ALL phones, not necessarily BlackBerry devices.
    His checks also indicate Research In Motion (RIMM) and Nokia (NOK) are seeing further weakness due to poor BlackBerry/Symbian sales.
    This indicates that RIM and NOK are continuing to see further weakening, meaning they are going against the trend of increased sales.
    06-05-12 10:16 AM
    ok lets break this down here...
    That means ALL phones, not necessarily BlackBerry devices.
    This indicates that RIM and NOK are continuing to see further weakening, meaning they are going against the trend of increased sales.
    It was filed under RIMM, the global sales are in reference to RIM's global sales in q1, not all phone makers in q1.
    06-05-12 10:18 AM
    It was filed under RIMM, the global sales are in reference to RIM's global sales in q1, not all phone makers in q1.
    It was filed under RIMM because it specifically relates to them. This information could be equally used for NOK. It again does not specify anything other than continued weakness for RIMM sales. Why would it reference the Galaxy SIII and iPhone 5 driving a stronger 2Q if it was only about RIMM? I understand the want for optimism but this particular reference doesn't provide any.
    06-05-12 10:20 AM
    Yeah, as much as I like good news, I think these guys are right. The article was listed under RIMM because the company is mentioned in it. Another analyst yesterday reported that his checks showed slowing sales for RIM last month, which prompted that maniacal sell-off yesterday (even though Thorsten had already warned about it a couple of weeks ago). But, while BB7 sales have been disappointing, it really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.
    06-05-12 10:36 AM
    I think we should all tighten our seat belts...the bumpy ride is far from over and we are likely to see more bad news.
    Would have been nice, but....
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-05-12 10:48 AM
    As has been said, the first line in the article is about all phone sales, not just RIMM. Global sales are increasing while RIMM sales are decreasing. Bad news. Please change misleading title.
    06-05-12 10:49 AM
    I clicked on one of the links in the article you linked. Here is the source:
    Canaccord Genuity on Communication/Wireless Equipment: Stronger Sales Weighted to Second Half of Year

Analyst, T. Michael Walkley, said, "Our May channel checks indicated slightly better sales trends than April levels. However, our global checks indicated June quarter smartphone sales are tracking modestly better than seasonally weaker March quarter sales. In the U.S. market, our checks indicated soft smartphone sales due to aging flagship models from Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL) and Samsung somewhat offset by strong demand for but limited supply of new HTC One series smartphones. With the Samsung Galaxy S III smartphones and HTC One Series just starting to ramp volume into the channel combined with our expectations for the iPhone 5 to launch in October, we anticipate more H2-weighted 2012 smartphone sales than normal seasonal trends."

"RIM (Nasdaq: RIMM), Nokia (NYSE: NOK): Struggles continue Our May checks indicated sales trends remained very weak for both RIM and Nokia globally despite solid Lumia 900 sales at AT&T (NYSE: T). Given the HTC One series and recently launched Samsung Galaxy S III products, we anticipate RIM and Nokia will continue to struggle in the smartphone market. In fact, our checks indicate very high levels of BlackBerry inventory, and we anticipate RIM will need to write down inventory when it reports May quarter results in late June.
    Nokia's sales are down, despite a new product launch. RIM's products are sitting on shelves.
    Last edited by lak611; 06-05-12 at 11:20 AM.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    06-05-12 11:06 AM
    Considering that many people say the media has nothing to do with what's going on with RIM, I think this proves it! Not that RIM didn't have anything to do with the situation at hand, just saying that people believe what they want to from a simple headline without really understanding it.
    mcmolineux likes this.
    06-05-12 11:10 AM
    *shakes head and walks away*
    06-05-12 11:26 AM
    *shakes head and walks away*
    Hold the door, I'm right behind you.
    Just... wow
    06-05-12 12:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD