Sales of BlackBerry handsets to consumers have all but fizzled out in the US, China, Spain and Japan, with the UK remaining its best-selling area, according to new data from Kantar Worldpanel ComTech.

The latest data for smartphone sales for the three months to the end of October 2013 shows that the company's share of sales in the US fell to just 0.8%, even as that market has grown in size as more and more smartphones become available.

In China, Spain and Japan, its share fell to less than a tenth of a percent - so that Kantar records it as zero.
    BlackBerry sales drop near zero in US, China, Spain and Japan, research says | Technology | theguardian.com

Edit: I find the actual figures on the Kantar site:

BlackBerry sales drop near zero in US, China, Spain and Japan, research says-capture.png
    12-02-13 01:25 PM
    I thought they pulled out of Japan. Also in China there was no way they could compete with the locals.

Spain and the USA though, those are troubling to me.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-02-13 01:28 PM
    Why are studies so inconsistent? I just saw a figure where us market share was 2.5%. The common consensus is 1.5% on the forums. Now this. I don't believe these figures are factual. Will wait to see BlackBerry report figures

Posted via CB10
    TheQuietRioter likes this.
    12-02-13 01:29 PM
    And they should scrap BB10 because they weren't established in Japan and China in the first place??? And that $200 Z10 sell that was sold out in the US wasn't taken into account I'm guessing.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    TheQuietRioter likes this.
    12-02-13 01:31 PM
    Pretty sure blackberry phones have to be smuggled into China because they are banned for being too secure for the Chinese government to hack.

Sent from my Z30
    12-02-13 01:33 PM
    It's all quotation but I can give you my analysis on it? It starts with "So Chen doesn't mention BB10 at all and..."
    Sorry to burst your bubble. BB10 is here to stay as long as BlackBerry is in business

Bb10 is an amazing software system built atop of QNX. Chen refers to BB10 as QNX

Why else would there be so much investment in the platform?

10.2.1 is allowing for some amazing capabilities. BlackBerry is here to stay.

Sorry to burst your bubble OP

Posted via CB10
    12-02-13 01:34 PM
    Isn't kantar methodology based on consumer surveys and excludes corporate purchases, which would make BlackBerry look even worse? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted via CB10. Join C001A8DC6 for bento-inspired lunch ideas
    wincyUt and Superfly_FR like this.
    12-02-13 01:35 PM
    So what about the USA, Spain and Japan?
    Blacklatino and shaleem like this.
    12-02-13 01:36 PM
    Isn't kantar methodology based on consumer surveys and excludes corporate purchases, which would make BlackBerry look even worse? Correct me if I'm wrong.

This is exactly the case. Kantar isn't to be considered a reliable source as they void to much critical information

Posted via CB10
    And they should scrap BB10 because they weren't established in Japan and China in the first place??? And that $200 Z10 sell that was sold out in the US wasn't taken into account I'm guessing.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    You'll take note that the data is through October 2013.
    Bacon Munchers likes this.
    They aren't even selling BB10 in Japan... they never went into it.... it still doesn't prove that BB10 should be scrapped...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    Mecca EL and MidnightSociety like this.
    12-02-13 01:37 PM
    Lol. BlackBerry 10 hasn't even been deployed in Japan. It may in the coming months as Japanese text was just introduced on the platform

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL and MidnightSociety like this.
    12-02-13 01:38 PM
    It's all quotation but I can give you my analysis on it? It starts with "So Chen doesn't mention BB10 at all and..."
    The BB faithful can't accept the truth and the cold hard facts that BB is failing and that BB10 has been a MASSIVE flop.
    12-02-13 01:39 PM
    The BB faithful can't accept the truth and the cold hard facts that BB is failing and that BB10 has been a MASSIVE flop.
    Last I checked BlackBerry was still selling millions of BlackBerry 10 devices a quarter. 10 million devices on the market in the near term can hardly be considered a flop. BlackBerry should hit 10 million in the upcoming months. That's a lot of devices

We don't have to have Samsung or Apple numbers. We need profitability.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-13 01:42 PM
    They aren't even selling BB10 in Japan... they never went into it.... it still doesn't prove that BB10 should be scrapped...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    I never said it should. If BBRY is going down it better be with the new and not going back to the old.
    Blacklatino and MarsupilamiX like this.
    12-02-13 01:42 PM
    BlackBerry now has a device targeting the mid tier price points. Adoption of the platform will surely increase

Posted via CB10
    jgilch likes this.
    12-02-13 01:45 PM
    I'm sure you know that it is entirely possible to acknowledge that bb10 has done poorly in the market while still loving the devices and OS and wanting and hoping for better days for BlackBerry in the future...

Some of the posters on CB really get off on BlackBerry's short comings. It's really disgusting and a reflection of their own character

Posted via CB10
    12-02-13 01:46 PM
    Last I checked BlackBerry was still selling millions of BlackBerry 10 devices a quarter. 10 million devices on the market in the near term can hardly be considered a flop. BlackBerry should hit 10 million in the upcoming months. That's a lot of devices

Posted via CB10
    Last I checked there was a massive billion dollar write down on Z10's that no one wants, a massive drop in revenue and a tiny market share (wow, 10 million devices out of a billion+ hey!!!).

Pretty sad when Android sells more devices in a few days than all the BB10 devices in a whole quarter. Time for you to get your head out of the sand, your love for BB on here is just plain sad and embarrassing.
    12-02-13 01:49 PM
    Why are studies so inconsistent? I just saw a figure where us market share was 2.5%. The common consensus is 1.5% on the forums. Now this. I don't believe these figures are factual. Will wait to see BlackBerry report figures
    Posted via CB10
    What some lump sum number of devices shipped figure that BlackBerry will relase?

These studies are a little inconsistent because they gather info in different ways and at different times. There aren't real number - most all manufactures keep those to themselves, but guesstimates. But they are better than nothing and Gartner and Kantar are pretty reliable..... now comscore on the other hand.

Being that BlackBerry has stopped just about all advertising and the fact that BB10's launch WAS a failure and that BBOS is being phased out, and the Z30 is being treated like a redhead step child by BlackBerry. Most everyone has been expecting the numbers to continue to go down... at least until BlackBerry does something different.

Windows Phones seem to be doing pretty good.
    12-02-13 01:49 PM
    Last I checked there was a massive billion dollar write down on Z10's that no one wants, a massive drop in revenue and a tiny market share (wow, 10 million devices out of a billion+ hey!!!).

Pretty sad when Android sells more devices in a few days than all the BB10 devices in a whole quarter. Time for you to get your head out of the sand, your love for BB on here is just plain sad and embarrassing.
    Android doesn't sell devices. 400 oems sell android devices and most of them arent even making money doing so.

Sent from my Z30
    12-02-13 01:51 PM
    I'm sure you know that it is entirely possible to acknowledge that bb10 has done poorly in the market while still loving the devices and OS and wanting and hoping for better days for BlackBerry in the future...

It is possible but a few posters on here need a reality check as they are completely ignoring all the signs and facts. But hey, Blackberry management has been doing this for years too, maybe its contagious
    milo53, Etios, techvisor and 3 others like this.
    12-02-13 01:52 PM

I was also called the biggest BlackBerry fan on CB the other day. An honor I hold in high regard

Embarrassing that I am a BlackBerry fan on a BlackBerry fan site. Lol. That's really too much.

Why would someone waste their time on a forum and not even support the platform?

Posted via CB10
    12-02-13 01:52 PM

How many companies make android devices? How companies make BlackBerry devices ? Do the math.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    12-02-13 01:53 PM
    How many companies make android devices? How companies make BlackBerry devices ? Do the math.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    OK, I'll pick one company selling Android. Samsung. What's your point now?
    Saiga, kbz1960, cckgz4 and 6 others like this.
    12-02-13 01:57 PM

Posted via CB10
    And profitability isn't coming from the massive write downs they are taking on the devices. I am not saying BBRY will scrap BB10 devices but selling too few devices at a loss isn't a long term viability solution. At some point soon they do have to either turn that segment profitable or scrap it. I do not think enterprise profits are enough to keep the handsets alive. The Kindle for free, content for $$ Amazon model isn't going to work for BBRY.
    JeepBB, Etios, MazoMark and 2 others like this.
    12-02-13 01:57 PM
370 123 ...