From BGR:

As we�ve observed before, if BlackBerry is going to mount a comeback it will likely have to do so without a significant presence in the United States. The latest report from Kantar Worldpanel shows that BlackBerry devices accounted for only 0.7% of U.S. smartphone sales during the three-month period that ended in May 2013. This not only marks a year-over-year decline of 3.9 points, but also shows that BlackBerry sales are now roughly on par with the now-defunct Symbian operating system, which accounted for 0.3% of U.S. smartphone sales over the same period. Things weren�t much better for BlackBerry in other countries either, as its smartphone sales share declined to 2.5% in the five largest European markets.
    07-01-13 08:12 AM
    Looove iBGR's headline. Totally on par with the article

Quite a leap to compare quarterly sales with overall market share. Do they realize that for their headline to be true, not only the BB adoption rate would have to be negative, but the overall turnover rate would have to jump so high that it wipes out the difference between Symbian and BB marketshares? So, if Symbian had 2.5% share and BB had 4% share (I'm just making these percentages up,) there would have to be a >1.5% share loss for "BlackBerry's U.S. smartphone share to sink to Symbian levels." And this isn't even accounting for Symbian's loss within the same period.
    Last edited by raino; 07-01-13 at 01:06 PM. Reason: clarity
    Mecca EL likes this.
    07-01-13 08:23 AM
    there is no BB presence in the US simply because... there is NO PRESENCE. the salespeople at the carriers laugh it off as a joke, 8/10 stores dont have a demo unit that is ON or displayed, let alone the lack of signage in the stores, the phone comes out extremely late in the US with lagging/nonexistent software updates, and most importantly, the marketing and PR in the states is horrid and unimpressive. what does one expect really? its a shame cause these phones are PHENOMINAL, but how would anyone know?!

i bought the Z day 1 it came out, just because i was abt the throw my iphone against the wall after years of not being able to type on it. i missed my blackberry desperately, and once i heard it was coming out, you betcha i was there that morning 8am to buy it. all without PR/Marketing etc. it was my memory of how amazing the device once was to me...and i couldnt be happier. i now have both the Q and Z and love them both so much more than any iphone. so F*CK BGR.

remember this?

-screen-shot-2013-05-21-8.48.20-am.png
    07-01-13 08:24 AM
    Is that the Blackberry R2D2?
    jegs2 and newcollector like this.
    07-01-13 08:30 AM
    i bought the Z day 1 it came out, just because i was abt the throw my iphone against the wall after years of not being able to type on it. i missed my blackberry desperately, and once i heard it was coming out, you betcha i was there that morning 8am to buy it. all without PR/Marketing etc. it was my memory of how amazing the device once was to me...and i couldnt be happier. i now have both the Q and Z and love them both so much more than any iphone. so F*CK BGR.

remember this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-05-21 at 8.48.20 AM.png 
Views:	1373 
Size:	192.1 KB 
ID:	177861
    So you bought an iPhone and kept it "for years," even though you couldn't type on it. Makes perfect sense.
    07-01-13 08:49 AM
    The problem is that the BlackBerry name WAS iconic, but it now is viewed very negatively, just like Windows Phone, in some markets. Look at how hard it is for Windows Phone to gain traction with tons of advertising and strong reviews based on the fact that people don't like what is associated with the baggage that is Windows Phone, or Microsoft. Nobody associated the name RIM with the phones so changing the name of the company to the one people already associated with it, did little for re-branding with customers, and was purely a move for Wall Street. I truly believe that BlackBerry needs to look at a branding change for the US market, something to separate with the view of what a BlackBerry is here, a locked down device that does phone and email. Car Companies and other retailers do this with luxury lines and I think that it could help BlackBerry out to get a clean start in the US. You can keep the name BlackBerry in markets where the brand is still strong, but they would need to spend a lot to change the perception in the US for the name BlackBerry as a smart phone.
    richardat and Geeoff like this.
    07-01-13 09:56 AM
    Didn't they try that by renaming the company from Research In Motion to the better known BlackBerry?
    I agree that the name is tarnished but will using something else really help?
    07-01-13 10:01 AM
    I just like many are pulling for BB but its getting frustrating. I have my Z10 just parked on my desk while I'm using iOS. To many issues such as lack of sync with icloud that use to work when the Z10 was first released. BB is aware of the issue but will not give a time frame to be fixed,

Then the issue of waiting for the carrier to allow us to update to 10.1 some people could blame the carrier for the delay but the bottom line is it frustrates most users.

Then let's look at the people who have a PB. I am not one of them but I do feel for them. Some people say "get over it" but if your one of those owners of a PB and was told that BB10 was coming only to find out "na, we don't think so." That's a kick to the groin. BB promises its customers one thing and months later they take it back. How can you develop confidence in that kind of company.

Say what you want. Trash talk my post, but call a spade a spade. Don't be blind to a company that is not doing so well. You can love them all you want but do so with your eyes wide open.

I want them to succeed. I think the Z10 is by far the best typing experience I have ever had on a smartphone. But it's still half baked and needs a few updates before it was ready for prime time.

I'm just saying.....
    trsbbs, saalnaz, stoneland and 3 others like this.
    07-01-13 10:32 AM
    Didn't they try that by renaming the company from Research In Motion to the better known BlackBerry?
    I agree that the name is tarnished but will using something else really help?
    I thought that was a bad idea when I heard they were doing that. I don't think changing again will help now. No one knew it there that Blackberries were made by Research In Motion. No one ever said this RIM phone sucks, it was always this BlackBerry sucks.
    07-01-13 10:35 AM
    With those headlines is going to be a feat to sell phones in Q2. I think the CEO has to give interviews and make things look better.
    Geeoff likes this.
    07-01-13 03:06 PM
    With those headlines is going to be a feat to sell phones in Q2. I think the CEO has to give interviews and make things look better.
    I think it would be best for the CEO to keep his mouth firmly shut for once and do some serious thinking and planning on how BBRY can regain the confidence of users and attract those from other OS's.

What has the CEO said in the past that has helped?
    Example #1

What the CEO says: "All existing PlayBooks’ will get updated to BlackBerry 10," Thorsten Heins, Jan 30, 2013

What ends up happening: The BlackBerry PlayBook tablet will not be upgraded to BlackBerry 10, CEO Thorsten Heins has confirmed, reneging on an earlier promise that it would receive the update. June 29, 2013

Example #2
    What the CEO says: “In Canada, yesterday was the best day ever for the first day of a launch of a new BlackBerry smartphone. In fact, it was more than 50 percent better than any other launch day in our history in Canada,” BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins said in a statement sent to AllThingsD. “In the U.K., we have seen close to three times our best performance ever for the first week of sales for a BlackBerry smartphone.”

What ends up happening: 2.7 million BB10 devices shipped in the launch quarter (well below expectations) + 5% fewer BB users worldwide.

Example #3

What the CEO says: In an interview with The Australian Financial Review on Monday, Heins began by admitting: "Apple did a fantastic job in bringing touch devices to market. They did a fantastic job with the user interface, they were a design icon," he said. "There is a reason why they were so successful, and we actually have to admit and respect that." Despite this, Heins warned that Apple will need to boost innovation for its next iPhone in order to continue to be a success. "The rate of innovation is so high in our industry that if you don't innovate at that speed you can be replaced pretty quickly," he said. "The user interface of the iPhone, with all due respect for what this invention was all about, is now five years old."

What ends up happening: BB10 -- bugs to be fixed in 10.1 -- bugs to be fixed in 10.2...missing legacy features from BB7...battery issues, booting issues, and the list goes on and on...meanwhile, Apple announces iOS7 (maybe they took Thorsten Heins at his word).

Example #4

What the CEO says: Mr Heins said he expected 100,000 apps to be available for the US Z10 launch later this week. Much focus has been placed on the fact that popular apps like photo sharing service Instagram and video provider Netflix had not invested in developing BB10 apps, and Mr Heins said negotiations were advancing.

“We are working constantly on getting these important apps on board,” he said.

“I think we are seeing the dynamic changing over time as they want to watch and see how BlackBerry 10 is making it in the market. They want ROI on their development dollars as well. I think this is a very respectful way of looking at your business, and it is our job to convince them that BB10 is a successful platform”

What ends up happening: Who knows about the quantity of the apps but where is Instagram? Where are the banking apps (even the Canadian ones)? Where is Netflix? Negotiations were advancing? I guess negotiations are more like stalled.

This CEO has a major credibility problem. He is either completely ignorant of the facts before he speaks or he is completely capable of half-truths to try to paint a rosier picture than exists. Either way, I would gag him and prevent him from opening his mouth.

By the way, before all the fanboys start jumping up and down in celebration of the $3.1 billion that BBRY apparently has on hand, without a one-time tax rebate, cash would have decreased by a whopping $350 million or about 12% in the quarter. That cash position is strong but that cash burn rate isn't exactly promising.
    Last edited by NYC10065; 07-02-13 at 11:48 AM.
    07-01-13 03:18 PM
    One website with a browsing metric is showing a good battle with Symbian:
    Attached Thumbnails -netmarket.jpg  
    dusdal likes this.
    07-01-13 06:14 PM
    NYC10065. I won't criticize your post. U have a point. He would have looked like he knew what he was talking about if last friday we saw some decent sales.
    But after last Friday he does look quite out of it. Like some preacher or politician promising the world and delivering nothing.
    Marketing absolutely atrocious, abysmal,
    And the phone has issues which should be fixed pronto.
    When I loon at samsung,hyundai,apple, toyota, these r hungry companies. They're so hungry they almost act scared. Like every model is life and death. And they execute new products with stunning success.
    BlackBerry does not seem to be in that league.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5828343) likes this.
    07-01-13 06:17 PM
    One website with a browsing metric is showing a good battle with Symbian:
    I like the look and direction of that curve..
    07-01-13 06:29 PM
    The problem is that the BlackBerry name WAS iconic, but it now is viewed very negatively, just like Windows Phone, in some markets. Look at how hard it is for Windows Phone to gain traction with tons of advertising and strong reviews based on the fact that people don't like what is associated with the baggage that is Windows Phone, or Microsoft. Nobody associated the name RIM with the phones so changing the name of the company to the one people already associated with it, did little for re-branding with customers, and was purely a move for Wall Street. I truly believe that BlackBerry needs to look at a branding change for the US market, something to separate with the view of what a BlackBerry is here, a locked down device that does phone and email. Car Companies and other retailers do this with luxury lines and I think that it could help BlackBerry out to get a clean start in the US. You can keep the name BlackBerry in markets where the brand is still strong, but they would need to spend a lot to change the perception in the US for the name BlackBerry as a smart phone.
    Funny! Exactly what I said when the name change occurred! I was so surprised that CB'ers were so wildly enthusiastic about it!

First, the general public ALREADY called them Blackberry - no change. "Blackberry" had a terrible reputation at that point. I went on several rants to people wherein I said: what are they thinking??? Why not KEEP "RIM". This is what you do: you rebrand as anything.....Aqua, Liquid, Onyx, Pumpkin.....you hit VERY hard with a huge campaign, and blow lotsa money. Suddenly Onyx is everywhere. The very fact that nobody has any idea where it came from, or who they are, attracts attention. Now people WILL go over and at least give your phone a cursory look. Maybe they say, oh interesting, this is different. When they ask the salespeople who/what this is, or see the small print at the bottom, they realize "Oh, this is RIM, they made BB"....now they're reassured that this isn't a fly-by-night operation, or 3rd tier Chinese brand. Now the RIM/BB name actually works for you, but it's already been established in their mind that this is something NEW.

...and yes, you can still keep the name in strong markets or put "Blackberry Aqua" "Blackberry presents Aqua" or whatever on your materials there.

STUPID: Hey, we should rebrand, and get a fresh start! Let's rebrand to BB, that's what everyone KNOWS us as anyways! AWESOME!!
    Fuzzballz and H_O_Boomaye like this.
    07-01-13 06:29 PM
    I like the look and direction of that curve..
    There is another thread about it. Some of the people there liked it also!

The scale however is so small for those two companies that the variance doesn't mean much to me on any practical level.
    07-01-13 06:33 PM
    I just like many are pulling for BB but its getting frustrating. I have my Z10 just parked on my desk while I'm using iOS. To many issues such as lack of sync with icloud that use to work when the Z10 was first released. BB is aware of the issue but will not give a time frame to be fixed,

Then the issue of waiting for the carrier to allow us to update to 10.1 some people could blame the carrier for the delay but the bottom line is it frustrates most users.

Then let's look at the people who have a PB. I am not one of them but I do feel for them. Some people say "get over it" but if your one of those owners of a PB and was told that BB10 was coming only to find out "na, we don't think so." That's a kick to the groin. BB promises its customers one thing and months later they take it back. How can you develop confidence in that kind of company.

Say what you want. Trash talk my post, but call a spade a spade. Don't be blind to a company that is not doing so well. You can love them all you want but do so with your eyes wide open.

I want them to succeed. I think the Z10 is by far the best typing experience I have ever had on a smartphone. But it's still half baked and needs a few updates before it was ready for prime time.

I'm just saying.....
    Well said Sir..and I agree.

Using a BlackBerry Z10
    07-01-13 08:51 PM
    It is not the phone causing the lack of sales, it's to some degree not the marketing and it's not the lack of apps (again to some degree), it's the name on the phone.

BlackBerry for the past 4 years has taken up every chance they get to shoot themselves in the head. Starting with the Storm and peaking with the PlayBook. Comments and inaction of Mike and Jim really put a hurt on BlackBerry. Too snotty and too dorky for many to stomach.

Then along came Thor. His product, The Z10, at least has its own email and BBM. The product launch readiness did improve with the Z10 but is/was not on par with the products kicking BlackBerry's backside. Nor on par with many of BlackBerrys past successful launches.

Thor has been pouring salt in this open oozing wound the last three months. The reaction to this has been harsh and damaging.

BlackBerry folks are mostly willing to listen to a innovative and honest person or company.
    But that is not what they have been hearing and seeing for over 4 years now from BlackBerry.

You can't say that the U.S.A. doesn't like seeing the "Come Back Kid" or Underdog succeed. That is what makes us who we are. It's at our core. Ever watch Rocky or hear of Apple, Ford or Harley Davidson?

It's not that we don't want to see BlackBerry succeed it's that they have earned the rep they have and it will take a string of top notch products and a BIG change in their mind set/attitude before they get back what they once had.

Using a BlackBerry Z10
    07-01-13 09:25 PM
    You can't say that the U.S.A. doesn't like seeing the "Come Back Kid" or Underdog succeed. That is what makes us who we are. It's at our core. Ever watch Rocky or hear of Apple, Ford or Harley Davidson?

It's not that we don't want to see BlackBerry succeed it's that they have earned the rep they have and it will take a string of top notch products and a BIG change in their mind set/attitude before they get back what they once had.

Using a BlackBerry Z10
    Happy Canada Day!
    07-01-13 10:05 PM

I'm just saying.....
    i agree with just about everything you mentioned. the typing on Z10 was the best until i bought the HTC one and i downloaded swiftkey. my oh my...swiftkey is even better than the Z10 and quicker..just try it to know what im saying..to attest to their performance, it is the top paid app on Android store and that tells you something...
    07-01-13 11:49 PM
    yes..BB has taken a serious beating in all major markets..i think i saw yesterday one market where it improved very slightly..but serious shrinkage in most top markets...

Kantar: Android dominates EU, WP closes gap to iOS - GSMArena.com news

even the windows phones have made gains in most markets...but Droids are kings nowadays...if you cant beat them join them...
    07-01-13 11:52 PM
    Happy Canada Day!
    Happy Canada Day!

Using a BlackBerry Z10
    07-02-13 05:54 AM
    yes..BB has taken a serious beating in all major markets..i think i saw yesterday one market where it improved very slightly..but serious shrinkage in most top markets...

Kantar: Android dominates EU, WP closes gap to iOS - GSMArena.com news

even the windows phones have made gains in most markets...but Droids are kings nowadays...if you cant beat them join them...
    The Kantar graphic there is the writing on the wall. BB had a 0.7% share of smartphones sold in the US from March through May. Minus the first three weeks of March, this tracks the period when the Z10 was released. It means that of every thousand smartphones sold in the U.S. during this period, only 7 were BBs.

Ouch.

On the positive side, BBRY is beating Apple in Mexico, 11.3% to 9.9%. Although every silver cloud has a dark lining: that 11.3% figure is a 21% drop from a year ago, when BBRY had a 32.3% share. With BBOS phones, no less (the Z10 was also released in Mexico in March).
    07-02-13 06:21 AM
    Isn't the significant upswing in launch countries as well as globally in June writing on the wall as well then?

Posted via CB10
    07-02-13 07:23 AM
    Isn't the significant upswing in launch countries as well as globally in June writing on the wall as well then?

Posted via CB10
    Do you think it is for Symbian as well?
    07-02-13 07:37 AM
26 12