Despite the recent news that BlackBerry may have finally found a buyer if the Fairfax deal doesn�t fall apart, the company�s future as a smartphone vendor is still in jeopardy. The company�s global subscriber base had been holding up as users waited to see what BlackBerry 10 would offer. Since the new platform�s launch, however, BlackBerry has been hemorrhaging users and its worldwide count fell to 60 million from 76 million during the May quarter. According to one industry watcher, the bleeding won�t stop until BlackBerry�s subscriber base hits zero.

�We have been steadfast in our position that BlackBerry should downsize and focus on the enterprise, a strategy the company will now pursue,� National Bank Financial analyst Kris Thompson wrote in a note to investors on Monday evening. �Our view now is that any recovery is very unlikely.�

Thompson cut his price target on BlackBerry shares to $1 from $2 and said that within the next two to three years, BlackBerry won�t have a single smartphone subscriber left.
    09-24-13 08:55 AM
    Even smart people say stupid things from time to time. BBRY is in alot of trouble but their user-base will be at least 1 person in 2-3 years. I have no intention of leaving the platform.
    Lph190e, ital1, jevinzac and 2 others like this.
    09-24-13 09:04 AM
    Maybe OP and Kris should read today's announcements about the BES 10.1 installations?
    09-24-13 09:10 AM
    Even smart people say stupid things from time to time. BBRY is in alot of trouble but their user-base will be at least 1 person in 2-3 years. I have no intention of leaving the platform.
    But if the platform leaves you.... you still won't be a subscriber.

It's all guess work right now.... but it is a safe bet the the subscriber base is going to continue to FALL. Even as a "niche" company they won't see these types of numbers.
    09-24-13 09:11 AM
    Agree with LifeLong... smart people can say stupid things sometimes. I'm no statistician, but I don't think it's fair to use figures from a transitionary period to try and project 3 years down the line. Just my thoughts.
    09-24-13 09:11 AM
    Despite the recent news that BlackBerry may have finally found a buyer if the Fairfax deal doesn’t fall apart, the company’s future as a smartphone vendor is still in jeopardy. The company’s global subscriber base had been holding up as users waited to see what BlackBerry 10 would offer. Since the new platform’s launch, however, BlackBerry has been hemorrhaging users and its worldwide count fell to 60 million from 76 million during the May quarter. According to one industry watcher, the bleeding won’t stop until BlackBerry’s subscriber base hits zero.

“We have been steadfast in our position that BlackBerry should downsize and focus on the enterprise, a strategy the company will now pursue,” National Bank Financial analyst Kris Thompson wrote in a note to investors on Monday evening. “Our view now is that any recovery is very unlikely.”

Thompson cut his price target on BlackBerry shares to $1 from $2 and said that within the next two to three years, BlackBerry won’t have a single smartphone subscriber left.
    Where did you get the 60 number? BBRY doesn't release subscriber counts anymore.
    09-24-13 09:13 AM
    Despite the recent news that BlackBerry may have finally found a buyer if the Fairfax deal doesn’t fall apart, the company’s future as a smartphone vendor is still in jeopardy. The company’s global subscriber base had been holding up as users waited to see what BlackBerry 10 would offer. Since the new platform’s launch, however, BlackBerry has been hemorrhaging users and its worldwide count fell to 60 million from 76 million during the May quarter. According to one industry watcher, the bleeding won’t stop until BlackBerry’s subscriber base hits zero.

“We have been steadfast in our position that BlackBerry should downsize and focus on the enterprise, a strategy the company will now pursue,” National Bank Financial analyst Kris Thompson wrote in a note to investors on Monday evening. “Our view now is that any recovery is very unlikely.”

Thompson cut his price target on BlackBerry shares to $1 from $2 and said that within the next two to three years, BlackBerry won’t have a single smartphone subscriber left.
    Also, subscribers are on BIS, for every user who switches from BBOS to BB10, one subscriber is lost.
    mrm_090 likes this.
    09-24-13 09:14 AM
    Maybe that's why subscriber base will hit 0 in 2-3 years... everyone will get on BB10!
    ital1 and jevinzac like this.
    09-24-13 09:16 AM
    I was working for T-Mobile when the first Android device came out (the G1), and similar to Z10/Q10 sales it was popular at first and then dwindled quickly. Just like users had to adapt to the Android OS, even the most seasoned of BB users take a little time getting used to the BB 10. Personally I've exclusively used BB since 2006 and, especially going from my 9900, was hesitant and skeptical. However only a handful of my friends HAVEN'T been wow-ed by my Q10 when I show them how easy it is to use. As the consumers who love the product, WE have to also actively try to push it. We have long been viewed as this brain-washed "cult"ure that breathes BIS/BES, however I feel that with our beloved company in such a slump that we need to also rise to the occasion and try to spread the news and exposure to our OS 10 BBs (but skip the religious door-to-door pamphlet approach). We all know that RIM, at the time, really dropped the ball on staying up with trends and what most consumers wanted; that doesn't mean that we can't help them pick that ball back up and start running with it again.
    09-24-13 09:17 AM
    I guess the analysts need to get their final shots in before BB goes private?
    09-24-13 09:22 AM
    people have too much time to write bs here and speculate nonsense, I wonder if thats the case on other platform's forums too
    ital1 likes this.
    09-24-13 09:23 AM
    people have too much time to write bs here and speculate nonsense, I wonder if thats the case on other platform's forums too
    You'd be amazed at the Samsung/Apple hate that goes on (tech sites I visit outside of Mobile Nations)...BlackBerry doesn't even get drive bys, that's now Windows Phone...
    09-24-13 09:31 AM
    Since the new platform’s launch, however, BlackBerry has been hemorrhaging users and its worldwide count fell to 60 million from 76 million during the May quarter.
    In Q4 of the last fiscal year?
    Because according to Q1 results of the current fiscal year, it was at 72 million.
    09-24-13 09:38 AM
    How could that be? I will have one in 3 years.

Posted via CB10
    ital1 likes this.
    09-24-13 09:40 AM
    1 dollar price target... Thats great tell your clients to sell the stock at 1 dollar when they have been offered 9.

I watched CNBC last week, over 30 analysts predicted Ben Bernanke to Taper Bond Buying...guess what

all were wrong
    LoganSix likes this.
    09-24-13 10:37 AM
    What shares? If the company goes private there wont be any shares. This statement completely misses the mark.
    09-24-13 10:41 AM
    Maybe OP and Kris should read today's announcements about the BES 10.1 installations?
    this has no bearing on subscriber base.
    09-24-13 12:56 PM
    1 dollar price target... Thats great tell your clients to sell the stock at 1 dollar when they have been offered 9.

I watched CNBC last week, over 30 analysts predicted Ben Bernanke to Taper Bond Buying...guess what

all were wrong
    yet the price of gold and silver skyrocketed a minute prior to the announcement.
    09-24-13 12:58 PM
    WE have to also actively try to push it. We have long been viewed as this brain-washed "cult"ure that breathes BIS/BES, however I feel that with our beloved company in such a slump that we need to also rise to the occasion and try to spread the news and exposure to our OS 10 BBs ...... We all know that RIM, at the time, really dropped the ball on staying up with trends and what most consumers wanted; that doesn't mean that we can't help them pick that ball back up and start running with it again.
    This is the fanboy attitude I've never understood. I understand being loyal to family and friends when they screw up. But loyalty to a huge corporation that doesn't even know (or care) that you exist just strikes me as very odd. Why do you care about saving their business when they don't even care about it? Do you know people who work for BBRY? Please explain this to me.

I use Android now but I couldn't care a whit about Google. The phone has good points and bad points and I'm very vocal about both. I'm glad I switched from BB but it's certainly not my personal savior. It's a piece of plastic and metal and glass that hopefully spends more time being useful to me than being a liability to me.

Please help me understand this mindset.
    09-24-13 01:36 PM