Insight into what's next....

Move over Apple: Even BlackBerry is working on a smartwatch.

"We're doing internal research on different wearables," said John Sims, president of BlackBerry enterprise solutions, in an interview with several reporters at Super Mobility Week in Las Vegas.

The wearables research at BlackBerry includes smartwatches and even smart glasses. Sims oversees BlackBerry's BBM messenger service, and added, "I would love to have...BBM on a wearable," he said. "It's definitely an area of research for us."

Whether BlackBerry will ever sell a wearable device is unclear, but BlackBerry CEO John Chen has committed to continue selling smartphones and tablets as long future products make money. "There are still a lot of loyal BlackBerry users," Sims said, including many who still love a physical qwerty keyboard.

BlackBerry won't disclose the size of its installed base of users, but it accounted for less than 1% of all smartphone sales in the second quarter, according to IDG and other analyst firms. A big hardware focus going forward will be on emerging markets outside of North America and Europe; BlackBerry announced its Z3 smartphone primarily for that market in February.

BlackBerry is expected to launch a 4.5-in. display Passport smartphone later this month that features a keypad that doubles as a touchpad. Images of the device have surfaced, including on GSMArena.com.

BlackBerry recently signed Sandeep Chennakeshu, a former BlackBerry technology consultant, who now serves as president of technology solutions. Chennakeshu also appeared before the same group of reporters to describe several BlackBerry patented technologies aside from its wearables research.

One such technology measures frequencies and power used by cellular antennas and is licensed to semiconductor companies. But BlackBerry also designs efficient antennas for its own use. "We're well ahead on this technology," Chennakeshu said.

He also ticked off BlackBerry initiatives in elliptical curve cryptography to improve secure key efficiency, "which will be very useful for the Internet of Things."

More directly in IoT, BlackBerry is building an infrastructure that can collect data used in workplace applications such as truck fleet tracking, he said. BlackBerry also continues work with its QNX operating system and is "moving into new areas" that include infotainment in telematics used in vehicles.

Sims said BlackBerry is also committed to shipping the newest version of its BlackBerry Enterprise Server, BES 12, in November. "It will be best in class," he said.

Sims said work on a dual personality BlackBerry Balance technology for separating work and personal uses of smartphones on other OSes than BlackBerry is under way, as well. "That's an area you can expect to see from us in the future," he said.

One purpose of the dual personality on smartphones of all types will be to help IT shops track virtual identities so that businesses can bill services for work-related calls and data. A recent California court decision requires companies with workers in that state to pay for work-related calls made on their personal smartphones, something that BlackBerry hopes to address.

http://www.computerworld.com/article...Computerworld)
    09-10-14 09:56 PM
    Please just don't make it rectangular/square.
    09-10-14 11:42 PM
    If a person did not know better, one could not help but be optimistic and curious to see where BlackBerry goes in the future. They seem to have their hands on a lot of things still - they do not appear to be a company just about ready to go belly up.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-14 11:54 PM
    Another smartwatch? Lol this is turning into a joke.
    acovey likes this.
    09-11-14 12:02 AM
    Another smartwatch? Lol this is turning into a joke.
    Read carefully. BlackBerry isn't developing their own. What they are most likely doing is making sure BB10 is as compatible as possible with the devices that are already available.
    09-11-14 12:04 AM
    Read carefully. BlackBerry isn't developing their own. What they are most likely doing is making sure BB10 is as compatible as possible with the devices that are already available.
    Yeah... sounds like they would "love BBM on a smartwatch". So perhaps they are looking into them much more like a developer, rather than a manufacturer.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-14 12:11 AM
    That's an interesting take on the above comments..

I'm not sure that's what they're doing.. (I'm not sure they aren't either) It would probably be a good way for them to go though.. and it makes sense given their shift to android apps and their upcoming blend apps for Android and ios tablets.. sad as I am to admit it a BlackBerry wearable would likely be a failure today.. wearables as a whole are a small percentage of that platforms market, and with BlackBerry market share being what it is, a small percentage of that base just isn't enough.. but crafting a way to tie bb10 phones into existing tablets, smart watches and other accessories on the market is small cost and can only be a benefit to phone sales.. if your goal is to sell phones and software, why build an ecosystem when you can leverage existing.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-14 12:22 AM
    Yeah... sounds like they would "love BBM on a smartwatch". So perhaps they are looking into them much more like a developer, rather than a manufacturer.

Posted via CB10
    My biggest hope is that they're maybe building their own support for these devices into BB10.
    09-11-14 12:22 AM
    My biggest hope is that they're maybe building their own support for these devices into BB10.
    My thoughts exactly, as others above have said as well they are looking at it from a developers perspective

Why build your own smartwatch when you can get your software on the competitions hardware for free

But man O man... the more I think about a BlackBerry designed watch the more I really think I would like one... Imagine a Bold 9900 design but a watch? Carbon Fiber backing... stainless surround... mmmm

Posted via my BlackBerry Z30
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    09-11-14 04:07 AM
    This probably won't happen. Apple Watch is intentionally locked to iPhones and Android Wear is intentionally locked to android devices (Android Wear relies heavily on Google Now which requires Google Services). The runtime isn't going to cut it. I think most future non-Apple smartwatches will use Android Wear as it is not worth it for OEMs to incur the cost of developing their own OS - same with phones. I'm thinking BB10 is not likely to have significant compatibility with the major smartwatches in the foreseeable future. BlackBerry would need to make its own watch, and I highly doubt it would seriously invest in the development of that kind of a long shot. They may talk about how they're researching it, but it would shock me if they actually developed and brought one to market.
    09-11-14 05:04 AM
    This probably won't happen. Apple Watch is intentionally locked to iPhones and Android Wear is intentionally locked to android devices (Android Wear relies heavily on Google Now which requires Google Services). The runtime isn't going to cut it. I think most future non-Apple smartwatches will use Android Wear as it is not worth it for OEMs to incur the cost of developing their own OS - same with phones. I'm thinking BB10 is not likely to have significant compatibility with the major smartwatches in the foreseeable future. BlackBerry would need to make its own watch, and I highly doubt it would seriously invest in the development of that kind of a long shot. They may talk about how they're researching it, but it would shock me if they actually developed and brought one to market.
    BBwatch...
    BBM and Maluuba integration? Might even get me interested...

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    09-11-14 05:37 AM
    ...Android Wear relies heavily on Google Now which requires Google Services). The runtime isn't going to cut it...
    The key is in the plumbing.. what they need to do is have it so every que an android app sends out is piped to a replacement BlackBerry service..

Google play services -> BlackBerry ID
    Google Now -> BlackBerry Assistant / Maluba
    Google maps -> BlackBerry maps
    Etc etc

I'm not saying that's an easy task.. but if they can pull it off its not only good for wearables it would solve almost all app deficiencies.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-14 08:28 AM
    I don't think it is a watch.

Some other type of wearable(s).
    More likely related to the Health sector.

Posted from my Z30 using CB10
    Reed Richards likes this.
    09-11-14 08:48 AM
    The key is in the plumbing.. what they need to do is have it so every que an android app sends out is piped to a replacement BlackBerry service..

Google play services -> BlackBerry ID
    Google Now -> BlackBerry Assistant / Maluba
    Google maps -> BlackBerry maps
    Etc etc

I'm not saying that's an easy task.. but if they can pull it off its not only good for wearables it would solve almost all app deficiencies.

Posted via CB10
    I'd certainly be happy if they can make it work. I'm just skeptical that it will happen. I'd like to be proven wrong though.
    just_luc likes this.
    09-11-14 08:57 AM
    Why not just have a wearable for doing simple tasks?

Read messages - Facebook, SMS, Twitter (Direct Messages). Have the wearable say it out loud or into a Bluetooth headset.

Then give the choice of replying, if so, do it by voice.

Tells you the forecast

Gives you directions from A to B

Just simple things like that really

Posted via CB10
    09-11-14 09:05 AM
    Why not just have a wearable for doing simple tasks?

Read messages - Facebook, SMS, Twitter (Direct Messages). Have the wearable say it out loud or into a Bluetooth headset.

Then give the choice of replying, if so, do it by voice.

Tells you the forecast

Gives you directions from A to B

Just simple things like that really

Posted via CB10
    Umm.. if the wearable, which is connected to your phone.. reads you messages over Bluetooth and takes voice commands over bluetooth.. why isn't the bluetooth headset just connected directly to your phone? What is the wearable doing in this situation?

Posted via CB10
    09-11-14 09:24 AM
    Sounds awesome!

Posted via CB10
    09-11-14 09:27 AM
    Umm.. if the wearable, which is connected to your phone.. reads you messages over Bluetooth and takes voice commands over bluetooth.. why isn't the bluetooth headset just connected directly to your phone? What is the wearable doing in this situation?

Posted via CB10
    What does any wearable do? Just relays information from the phone. Everything that is on a wearable is on the phone already. It was just a suggestion

Posted via CB10
    LoganSix likes this.
    09-11-14 09:31 AM
    What does any wearable do? Just relays information from the phone. Everything that is on a wearable is on the phone already. It was just a suggestion

Posted via CB10
    Which is why programming apps for the wearable to run on the wearable is backwards. The wearable should just send and receive commands. The commands should affect either the wearable's output or something on the phone (aka central controller).

09-11-14 09:40 AM
    That's the way to go. Otherwise they are crazy.
    09-11-14 09:44 AM
    They could get in vibrating underwear wearables too. No one is doing that yet
    09-11-14 09:46 AM
    Or, they are going to simply leveraging their QNX embedded devices by using already existing connection capabilities to connect to the devices and going to offer a more portable version of the chip to encourage companies to make their items "wearable".

ION
    Internet of Things

09-11-14 09:51 AM
    Pebble, Jawbone, and Nike are all platform agnostic. Not out of the question that BlackBerry could be seeking access to the APIs for these devices. And while GPlay is recommended for getting the best out of an Android Wear device, there may be ways to make use of at least basic functionality.

I see Pebble in particular as a potential partner. IIRC it was actually started by people with a connection to BlackBerry (maybe former BlackBerry developers?), and at this point they're probably feeling a little lonely.
    09-11-14 10:33 AM
    are they going to call it the "playwatch"?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-11-14 10:37 AM
    are they going to call it the "playwatch"?
    The PlayBook was the size of a PlayBook for sports. The Passport is the size of a passport. So, I am guessing that they would probably call it a button, badge or pin (if they keep with the p alliteration) .

kbz1960 likes this.
    09-11-14 12:00 PM
36 12