BlackBerry has been hit hard by Apple and Android in the enterprise smartphone market, and now it�s making some moves to make sure that it doesn�t face the same fate in the automotive segment. QNX, BlackBerry�s operating system subsidiary that makes the new BB10 operating system, today announced that it would be adding music streaming service 7digital into its in-car entertainment and information system, QNX CAR.

The deal gives QNX leverage against Google and its own car ambitions, as well as Apple, which has made some moves into the automotive segment, and is the world�s biggest seller of digital music today. The QNX deal will see access to 7digital�s catalog of 23 million tracks, and HTML5-based music store, preloaded on to the QNX system; the music service will work across the 40 countries where 7digital already has licensing agreements.

(As a point of comparison on footprint, yesterday music streaming service Spotify added several new markets in Asia, Latin America and Europe to its global coverage, and now works in 28 countries.)

QNX says that this will in turn mean that automotive OEMs and others working on in-car systems can now build customized digital music stores into QNX-based �infotainment systems.� These will link up with 7digital�s wider service across mobile and web platforms so that subscribers can access their music on all of them.

The move is another sign of how everything, including cars, are fair hardware game today. �The lines between in-car systems, mobile devices, and the web are blurring,� said Derek Kuhn, vice president of sales and marketing at QNX Software Systems, in a statement. �Our partnership with 7digital is a testament to how well digital music services can be integrated into a seamless automotive user experience.�
    BlackBerry�s QNX Inks Deal With 7digital For In-Car Music Service, Gears Up For Automotive Rivalry With Apple | TechCrunch
    Shanerredflag, zyben, s0be and 1 others like this.
    04-17-13 09:17 AM
    I'm not a fan of 7Digital's music service: I can't seem to find any of the music that I'm interested in, but I consistently do in Amazon.
    04-17-13 10:55 AM
    Awesome! It might take a couple of years for this to make it in to the market so based on my usual car purchases I will get it in 12 years or so. I can't wait
    pili4 likes this.
    04-17-13 11:21 AM
    Awesome! It might take a couple of years for this to make it in to the market so based on my usual car purchases I will get it in 12 years or so. I can't wait
    lol sounds about right for me too. I buy cars 1-5 years old.

You can save 40% off the price of the car if you don't care about that "new car smell"
    04-19-13 07:13 PM
    7digital is way overpriced IMHO. Bad partnership surely there are better companies out there. I'll stick to my xm.
    04-20-13 12:58 AM
    I am sure if Amazon (or one of the other big boys) cozied up to BBRY they would drop 7Digital in a heart beat. Of course Amazon has no interest which is why we see BBRY in bed with 7Digital

Posted via CB10 on my Commodore 64
    richardat likes this.
    04-20-13 05:41 AM
    I am sure if Amazon (or one of the other big boys) cozied up to BBRY they would drop 7Digital in a heart beat. Of course Amazon has no interest which is why we see BBRY in bed with 7Digital

Posted via CB10 on my Commodore 64
    It's a reality BB will have to face in dozens of different ways over the coming months.
    04-20-13 06:04 AM