So. My friend and I stared a business the other day repairing BlackBerry smart phones.

Today, I encountered my first problem with a customer.
    He wanted the rubber part on the 8520 changed. This I did do. However, the memory card in the phone was not working. I did not check this before, I never do.

He demanded a new memory card, accusing me of corrupting his memory card. The memory card would not repair, nor format. I tired to explain to him that there was nothing I could of done by replacing the rubber part around the phone that would affect the memory card. He would not take my word for it and insisted I replaced his memory card.

I asked him to prove to me the memory card was working before he gave me the phone; he could not. So basically, it was my word against his. I know for sure ( and I'm sure many of your here can vouch for me ), that the rubber piece around the motherboard cannot affect his memory card. I even put my memory card in his phone to prove to him that the memory card slot was working.

He was ignorant. I offered him half the cost of a new memory card so that he could put the other half and purchase a new one. This seemed like the most logical thing to do imho. He refused.

Without getting into too much details, my mother is going to buy him a new memory card. ( she agreed with my logic and was not biased about the situation - even though he told her she is ).

My question is, to prevent future encounters such as these, do I need some sort of disclaimer stating that I am not accepting liability? If so, can I find a copy online? Or how would I go about wording it my self? Maybe some sort of checklist is required?

If someone with similar experiences, or maybe a repair store themselves can shine some light on the situation, I would appreciate it much.

P.S This is not my first time opening an 8520. I repair phones on a daily basis.
    10-12-10 08:44 PM
    bumpp

>.>
    <.<
    10-13-10 12:43 PM
    I fix them all the time and make sure people know up front that they are voiding the warranty and I am not responsible for any damamge to the devices. Unless it is something that I have done. Why the **** is your MOM involved in this??!!??
    10-13-10 12:52 PM
    I'm a BB tech as well and BELIEVE me bro. I get people like this all the time. I personally tell people before i even touch their phone to remove their SIM and media cards to prevent situations like yours. Just give him a new media card, learn from this and let him be on his way.
    10-13-10 12:53 PM
    Congratulation on your small business venture.

You have just learned one of the critical lessons of business, cover your ***.

You would be wise to check out the service contract a professional firm will require you to sign before they will accept your product for service. The wall of fine print is there for a reason.

In this specific case, lesson learned. In future, pull the Media and SIM cards and give it to the owner, prior to service.
    10-13-10 12:55 PM
    Not meaning to hijack your thread but i'd like others who do repairs on this site to PM me their PINs. Maybe start a group where we can offer ideas, solutions etc to each other. Thx
    10-13-10 12:58 PM
    C
    In this specific case, lesson learned. In future, pull the Media and SIM cards and give it to the owner, prior to service.
    That's the thing. The repair was done in-front his face. I took the sim card and media card out.Every tech will know that the 8520 rubber cannot be removed with the media card in.

All I did was take it out and put it back in.. He SAW me do it.
    What a ******.
    10-13-10 01:10 PM
    That's the thing. The repair was done in-front his face. I took the sim card and media card out.Every tech will know that the 8520 rubber cannot be removed with the media card in.

All I did was take it out and put it back in.. He SAW me do it.
    What a ******.
    Dude i've got some stories for you that would make you think twice about fixing peoples phones. LOL
    10-13-10 01:18 PM
    .... Why the **** is your MOM involved in this??!!??
    That's exactly what I was wondering .....
    10-13-10 04:58 PM
    Lol. We needed a third opinion.
    10-13-10 08:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD