Of course, it's very well known that Apple has a strict release schedule for most of its products. In fact, it is so well known, proven, and recognised that analysts say that this awareness is actually impacting the sales of the 5S. It's so apparent that the market is actually holding back from buying a phone because they know a new one is coming out soon. The amazing thing is that Apple enjoys this extreme pre-release awareness with ZERO advertising. With no effort whatsoever, they know with certainty they will have huge opening sales because everybody knows about it. Samsung is also good at this, however can't match the scale of the iPhone.

It got me thinking that maybe Blackberry should establish its own schedule as well. I know that even if they do, they will probably never achieve awareness of that scale, but I believe that it could help. I also know that BlackBerry doesn't stick to only one flagship a year, so perhaps they could have two different seasons when they release their devices. This way they could generate their own hype, however little, to let the public know when they should expect something new.

So far, almost everything in Blackberry has been totally random. All over the place. Their naming, their releases, they're updates, etc. Blackberry needs to bring some kind of order to avoid confusing people. As a BlackBerry and CrackBerry user, sometimes even I get confused. I believe that this is the biggest problem BlackBerry has right now besides apps/games.
    laketrout73 and bspence87 like this.
    07-15-14 11:28 PM
    So the anticipation arises from the fact that there is a set release schedule? I doubt it.

In order to have a set schedule you have to control a lot of things that pretty much only Apple controls from your in-house design, supply chain, retail outlets, massive built in customer base, media attention, and developers.

Most importantly, people have to be willing to forego the competition and wait for your device. Look at how the iPad froze the tablet market prior to its release and how long they have held off on the iWatch. Most companies have to get their new devices ASAP before the competition announces something that overshadows it.
    07-15-14 11:57 PM
    So the anticipation arises from the fact that there is a set release schedule? I doubt it.

In order to have a set schedule you have to control a lot of things that pretty much only Apple controls from your in-house design, supply chain, retail outlets, massive built in customer base, media attention, and developers.

Most importantly, people have to be willing to forego the competition and wait for your device. Look at how the iPad froze the tablet market prior to its release and how long they have held off on the iWatch. Most companies have to get their new devices ASAP before the competition announces something that overshadows it.
    I think consistent yearly releases does generate anticipation. Apple's release season is in the fall, to prepare for the holidays. Samsung's flagship release is traditionally in the spring or late winter. That way people know that 1. A device will come each year and 2. When in the year it will be announced. Most people here know the iPhone 6 will be coming this fall, and people are also already making concepts and discussing possibilities for the S6, which they know will be coming next spring. It's very simple. You don't need massive assets to choose when to release a product.

Of course, there is a possibility that if you wait too long then the device might become obsolete before it's even released, but that's part of the schedule. Apple or Samsung never develops something and then waits around until they feel like releasing it. They're entire development and production efforts are timed considering the release date. It's almost like a deadline. BlackBerry is a niche company anyways (according to many people here) so they don't have to worry about someone else making a similar product.

I'm not asking BlackBerry to take the same form as Apple or Samsung. I'm not asking them to release only one flagship a year either. I'm only asking for some kind of order to be brought to their releases so people can guess when it's coming, and also because its simply easier for us to understand. I don't think that it would be that difficult.
    07-16-14 03:18 AM
    Have you thought that the 5s numbers are dropping because it is an uncompetitive phone both from a hardware and software perspective. Four inch screens are at best mid tier phones and have little appeal to the fickle youth of today. Even my long term Apple fans thinks it's uncompetitive with the alternatives. The only thing keeping the 5s afloat is the heavy discount price (oops my bad, In NA we call it a trade in offer). You can pick one of these puppies in China for 400 dollars since pre release.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-14 08:19 AM
    A couple of problems with this strategy for BB:

• BB doesn't have a single "flagship" phone - they have a huge array of phones with different features that attract different people.
    • BB has a lot of trouble sticking to a schedule.
    • BB may not be in the device business long enough for schedules to matter. The phone most likely to get BB10 sales up, the Z3, isn't selling anywhere close to the kind of numbers many on CB expected. Even Chen said that if BB can't sell 10M BB10 phones per year, then they won't stay in the device business for long.

This isn't a bash of BB, but simply recognition that Apple's model and BB's model is very, very different, and while a set schedule isn't a bad thing, BB doesn't have the kind of stability that is necessary to achieve a set schedule (IMO). I'm not sure they know what they're going to be releasing a year from now. Apple insiders know what Apple will be releasing in Fall of 2016 already.
    Mr.Willie likes this.
    07-16-14 08:53 AM

• BB doesn't have a single "flagship" phone - they have a huge array of phones with different features that attract different people.
    • BB may not be in the device business long enough for schedules to matter. The phone most likely to get BB10 sales up, the Z3, isn't selling anywhere close to the kind of numbers many on CB expected. Even Chen said that if BB can't sell 10M BB10 phones per year, then they won't stay in the device business for long.

This isn't a bash of BB, but simply recognition that Apple's model and BB's model is very, very different, and while a set schedule isn't a bad thing, BB doesn't have the kind of stability that is necessary to achieve a set schedule (IMO). I'm not sure they know what they're going to be releasing a year from now. Apple insiders know what Apple will be releasing in Fall of 2016 already.
    Your last point is premature isn't it? Considering the z3 isn't going to provide much in terms of finances

Posted via CB10
    habs_fan likes this.
    07-16-14 10:36 AM
    Your last point is premature isn't it? Considering the z3 isn't going to provide much in terms of finances

Posted via CB10
    Yes I agree last point seems made up since no numbers have been said, plus it's been doing well. The classic and passport should help as well

Posted via CB10
    07-16-14 10:56 AM

Also to add the z30 imo was supposed to be a flagship of some sort...say the z line device. The Q10 was the flagship of the Q5..the Q line.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-14 07:55 PM
    There was a big hiccup in Apple's iPhone release schedule though...

1st gen (also called 2G): June 29, 2007
    3G: July 11, 2008
    3GS: June 19, 2009
    4: June 24, 2010
    4S: October 14, 2011 <--- HERE
    5: September 21, 2012
    5C and 5S: September 20, 2013

I understand what you're getting at, though: have some event every year. BlackBerry used to do this and couldn't deliver on time and it worked against them. I think they're better off keeping quiet until they have something ready and can have inventory available within days, not weeks or months.
    07-16-14 08:18 PM
    Have you thought that the 5s numbers are dropping because it is an uncompetitive phone both from a hardware and software perspective. Four inch screens are at best mid tier phones and have little appeal to the fickle youth of today. Even my long term Apple fans thinks it's uncompetitive with the alternatives. The only thing keeping the 5s afloat is the heavy discount price (oops my bad, In NA we call it a trade in offer). You can pick one of these puppies in China for 400 dollars since pre release.

Posted via CB10
    Well, ever since it's release nearly a year ago, it has never stopped being the #1 bestselling phone. Not even the S5 has ever passed it in terms of monthly sales.
    07-17-14 01:32 AM
    Well, ever since it's release nearly a year ago, it has never stopped being the #1 bestselling phone. Not even the S5 has ever passed it in terms of monthly sales.
    Being the #1 by a huge margin and by a small margin ain't the same thing in terms of drop in sales. Idk whether the margin has decreased much but if it has that's bad for Apple.

Although at my school gym I see why apple keeps selling. Every chick has a white iPhone. I mean every I've seen everyday

Posted via CB10
    07-17-14 11:31 AM
    BlackBerry has a specific release cycle too. It is always "Soon".

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    senel likes this.
    07-17-14 03:37 PM
    BlackBerry has a specific release cycle too. It is always "Soon".

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    Which is then followed by "In the coming weeks". I really hate when companies use that one (BlackBerry isn't the only to use that term either). What does that even mean - 2 weeks, 20 weeks or 200 weeks, they are all "coming" eventually.

Posted via CB10
    senel and spikesolie like this.
    07-17-14 03:46 PM