*cough* *cough* so another Passport? *cough* *cough*

Had loads of adverts, from golf grounds to a few banners here and there, also the device itself was an advert so many threads of people getting asked about it...

Posted via CB10
    Yeap great device but no apps unfortunately. Plus passport's form factor is not pretty user friendly. Aiming for enterprise but lacking one handed use. Interesting. Even though bb10 classic and passport reached 3 million I guess. How many did Chen need to keep hardware?
    10-16-16 01:50 PM
    Haven't you answered your own question - if it's such a potential moneyspinner - why isn't anyone doing it?
    Who said money-spinner? Please cite. It could sustain itself. With little profit.
    10-16-16 01:55 PM
    10-16-16 01:58 PM
    Who said money-spinner? Please cite. It could sustain itself. With little profit.
    Em.. so why do it? There is an opportunity cost - why would you do something that you are claiming has little profit when you could use those organisational resources to do something with a better chance for profit like say software?

WAIT A MINUTE!

BlackBerry to release new keyboard smartphone within six months, executive says-b821766820z.1_20141110141640_000_grs1c37mn.2_gallery.jpg
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-16-16 02:25 PM
    Em.. so why do it? There is an opportunity cost - why would you do something that you are claiming has little profit when you could use those organisational resources to do something with a better chance for profit like say software?

WAIT A MINUTE!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B821766820Z.1_20141110141640_000_GRS1C37MN.2_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	410134
    Then why is Thurber saying it's coming within 6 months? Is he lying?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-16-16 02:29 PM
    Then why is Thurber saying it's coming within 6 months? Is he lying?

Blackberry doesn't have to release a phone and Thurber can still be telling the truth - they aren't exclusive options. What do we know? That there is only one phone left that we know about - the mercury - Chen said it was a) only a prototype and b) he hadn't decided to develop it or not before they exist hardware on the 28th January 2017. We also know that BBRY has one partner who wants to licence their IP when they exit.

So what does that leave us with ?

The mercury could come out or it could be cancelled, Chen is undecided. However Furber seems pretty certain that a keyboard phone from someone will come out in the next six months. If Chen is undecided if the mercury is coming out, but Furber is certain one is coming out - we only have a few options.

Option 1) Chen was lying to us all when he said he was undecided
    Option 2) Chen very quickly changed his mind after saying he was unsure - literally in a matter of hours
    Option 3) Furber knows a keyboard phone will certainly come out because that is what the only partner they have is making.

You can pick your own option but I'll go with three based on the information we have.
    Last edited by cgk; 10-16-16 at 03:59 PM.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-16-16 02:49 PM
    Blackberry doesn't have to release a phone and Thurber can still be telling the truth - they aren't exclusive options. What do we know? That there is only one phone left that we know about - the mercury - Chen said it was a) only a prototype and b) he hadn't decided to develop it or not before they exist hardware on the 28th January 2017. We also know that BBRY has one partner who wants to licence their IP when they exit.

So what does that leave us with ?

The mercury could come out or it could be cancelled, Chen is undecided. However Furber seems pretty certain that a keyboard phone from someone will come out in the next six months. If Chen is undecided if the mercury is coming out, but Furber is certain one is coming out - we only have a few options.

Option 1) Chen was lying to us all when he said he was undecided
    Option 2) Chen very quickly changed his mind after saying he was unsure - literally in a matter of hours
    Option 3) Furber knows a keyboard phone will certainly come out because that is what the only partner they have is making.

You can pick your own option but I'll go with three based on the information we have.
    Again that is all your own interpretation of everything simply because that's what you want to believe. All I'm saying is one is coming. But if you want to interpret then within 6 months would mean the device is still releasing before the date Chen himself said his new strategy (licencing and outsourcing) goes into effect which is February 28th. The reality is the device is coming so interpret it however you please regardless of how much you are hoping it doesn't so you can say "i told you so" .

Edit: so you are saying the Indonesian partner will make a PKB device simply for that market? That is your final answer? Okay lets wait and see.

10-16-16 02:55 PM
    Again that is all your own interpretation of everything simply because that's what you want to believe. All I'm saying is one is coming. But if you want to interpret then within 6 months would mean the device is still releasing before the date Chen himself said his new strategy (licencing and outsourcing) goes into effect which is February 28th. The reality is the device is coming so interpret it however you please regardless of how much you are hoping it doesn't so you can say "i told you so" .

there is no outsourcing - Detek50 and 60 were outsourcing.

I'm unsure that what you are actually claiming that is there another keyboard handset under development that isn't the mercury? Chen was pretty clear in the earnings call: "So with what I announced today, we will end that activity and rely completely on partners.". and As part of this strategy, we have decided to discontinue all the handset hardware development.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-16-16 03:08 PM
    there is no outsourcing - Detek50 and 60 were outsourcing.

I'm unsure that what you are actually claiming that is there another keyboard handset under development that isn't the mercury? Chen was pretty clear in the earnings call: "So with what I announced today, we will end that activity and rely completely on partners.". and As part of this strategy, we have decided to discontinue all the handset hardware development.
    To which he later came out to do damage control and stated they are outsourcing design and manufacturing. Yes i know what the dtek50 and 60 are. The difference will be that they also hand over everything that comes after the device is made and only take a royalty rather then all profit from sales. Now do you believe Thurber is confident with a PKB device because the Indonesian partner is the one who will be making one. That was your option 3. Is that what you are claiming?

10-16-16 03:10 PM
    So if passport and classic could ran android voila...
    10-16-16 03:10 PM

WAIT A MINUTE!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B821766820Z.1_20141110141640_000_GRS1C37MN.2_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	410134
    For the sake of revenue maybe?
    Plus first it was no profit now a little profit is not enough for you? ). Well I will let you be because I see no point. I'm awed why you even post in BlackBerry Devices actually. Anyways I choose not to care now because I feel Chen is posting stuff to defend himself lol. January can't come soon enough.
    10-16-16 03:11 PM
    To which he later came out to do damage control and stated they are outsourcing design and manufacturing. Yes i know what the dtek50 and 60 are. The difference will be that they also hand over everything that comes after the device is made and only take a royalty rather then all profit from sales. Now do you believe Thurber is confident with a PKB device because the Indonesian partner is the one who will be making one. That was your option 3. Is that what you are claiming?

Hope we'll learn before January.
    Last edited by ardakca; 10-16-16 at 05:28 PM.
    10-16-16 03:13 PM

Yes as I mentioned above - outside of the mercury (which I doubt we'll ever see for various reasons) I think it will be a lowish end device from the Indonesian licensee (not a partner*)

we have nothing to do with the JV, we are not part of the JV. We are licensing our technology and brand to this JV.

The JV was set up - the JV partners are not only the distributors of telcos and the telephone companies in - a number of them by the way is just led by this particular organization called Tiphone, which is the largest I guess holding - holders of the JV.

The JV is actually an Indonesian entity, developed and put together by them, specifically focused on BlackBerry and distributing BlackBerry handset in Indonesia. All we did was we licensed this JV our brand and the - and all the software. So that’s number one. Before I move on that that’s clear, right, I mean, okay. So therefore it’s definitely above the line not below the line because we are no partner to JV.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-16-16 03:14 PM
    Yes as I mentioned above - outside of the mercury (which I doubt we'll ever see for various reasons) I think it will be a lowish end device from the Indonesian licensee (not a partner*)

Okay so no Mercury and low end Indonesian PKB device? Alright, time to wait and see.

10-16-16 03:17 PM
    Let's lighten the tone in here, please and thanks.
    10-16-16 04:50 PM
    Mercury could be outsourced. BlackBerry can lend the design. I don't know. So tired of trying to guess BlackBerry roadmap. CEO says something Thurber says another, leaksters are talking different. Might end up buying the passport plus ipad mini and call it a day
    10-16-16 05:27 PM
    http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/8096116

Spotted on Geek Bench.

Last edited by ray689; 10-17-16 at 10:18 AM.
    10-17-16 09:39 AM
42 12