Let me start off by saying I was a BB fan since the first device ever launched.

2nd; I know each user has his or her own preferences as to what phone is right for them.

I finally left BB or at least I tried in 2007 for the 1st Iphone. At that time I kept going back and forth. In 2008, I went with the Iphine 3, then the 3GS, then of course the Iphone 4. All that time I kept buying a new BB and trying again for a few days but as the months and years went buy going back to the BB was harder and harder. The technology wasnt there.

It seems everytime RIM releases a device its already a couple of years behind. Its like they work in dog years. Its frustraiting to see this company fal so far. Ive tried Android phones as well but never really liked the OS. So far Apple has everyone beat hands down. With that said I do miss the profiles and led light and the keyboard on the BB but the company is headed for trouble and that is disappointing to me.

Why in this day and age does BB still have no real IMAP for BIS. FOr example I'm in government work and with my Iphone, Windows phone, Android phones in your email account you have all your folders listed such as "follow Up's, Saves, and any others that you created. They are all there so you can simply address emails and drop them in the boxes that they belong. You cant do that on a BB unless you pay an additional fee for the BES. What the **** is that? How do they justify doing that when every other OS is allowing everyine access to IMAP.

Please don't go on about security, security, security. Ive had the iphone and I as well as many other co-workers along with there Iphones or windows mobile or Androids have complete access to our government accounts and has never had any issues. That old security issue that BB likes to hide behind is getting real old.

My rant is simple, I still like BB, but they got to get there head out of there buts and not only compete with the other OS's out there but how about releasing the phone shortly after they announce them, there's an idea!

BB has become the new Palm, I do hope they turn it arround but I havent seen anything to show that yet.
    06-28-11 12:19 PM

Please don't go on about security, security, security. Ive had the iphone and I as well as many other co-workers along with there Iphones or windows mobile or Androids have complete access to our government accounts and has never had any issues. That old security issue that BB likes to hide behind is getting real old.
    So the fact that you've never had any issues provides proof that you wont ever? Japan never had a nuclear meltdown... until that one time...

BB has become the new Palm, I do hope they turn it arround but I havent seen anything to show that yet.
    Actually they are nothing like Palm. Palm failed to keep up with an emerging handheld market - RIM still provides a solid, functional phone with more than adequate technology. What - because they dont kick out 12 different form factors with tandem processors that means they arent keeping up? If you want to play games or stream an HD movie to a 3" by 5" screen - go get something else. If you want a solid, secure device with a great form factor that allows you to be productive - get a BB.
    STARSCR34M likes this.
    06-28-11 12:40 PM
    So the fact that you've never had any issues provides proof that you wont ever? Japan never had a nuclear meltdown... until that one time...

Actually they are nothing like Palm. Palm failed to keep up with an emerging handheld market - RIM still provides a solid, functional phone with more than adequate technology. What - because they dont kick out 12 different form factors with tandem processors that means they arent keeping up? If you want to play games or stream an HD movie to a 3" by 5" screen - go get something else. If you want a solid, secure device with a great form factor that allows you to be productive - get a BB.
    Yea, well you left out a few things like IMAP that I addressed above, and yes we meaning hundreds of thousands of Law Enforcement Officers both on the federal and State side have been making the swicth and yes no security issues whatsoever.

And lastly; know one needs them to put 12 devices out, they already have dozens out on every carrier out there but still loosing ground on a daily basis so maybe they should work on one good product that can compete with the rest of the OS's out there. I dont think thats to much to hope for.

Don't be upset, just look around and you tell me if they are loosing ground daily and why. I loved my BB for years but you have to be honest, after trying the Android and Apple, Rim just feels old. Im sorry if that offends you.
    06-28-11 12:51 PM
    What I don't understand is if you're so happy with all your other wonderful iOS and Android devices, if they're already so great, why are you here complaining about BlackBerry? You've obviously found what you like somewhere else. I like BlackBerry the way it is, and I don't want it to be like the other devices you think are so great. But I'm not going over to iPhone and Android boards crying about how those devices should be more like BlackBerry. [I had a different phone, too (that I now think sucks), before I had my BlackBerry, but it's now long forgotten; that is, I'm not still hung up about it.]

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by T�nis; 06-28-11 at 02:26 PM.
    06-28-11 02:21 PM
    What I don't understand is if you're so happy with all your other wonderful iOS and Android devices, if they're already so great, why are you here complaining about BlackBerry? You've obviously found what you like somewhere else. I like BlackBerry the way it is, and I don't want it to be like the other devices you think are so great. But I'm not going over to iPhone and Android boards crying about how those devices should be more like BlackBerry. [I had a different phone, too (that I now think sucks), before I had my BlackBerry, but it's now long forgotten; that is, I'm not still hung up about it.]

Exactly!! I like the BB and visit the Crackberry forum all the time.
    I rarely go to an iPhone or Android forums, and even if I do go there (once a year), I have never once posted there leave aside posting rants against their devices.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that iPhone fans or Android fans shouldn't come here or shouldn't post. The more the merrier.
    But they should realise that this is really for people who like BB's and that's why people jump over them when they post their rants.
    Each and every device has it's strengths and weaknesses and it is for the end user to decide what his priorities are and buy accordingly. I don't need to be told if I need IMAP, or e-mail flags etc. I know what I need and I bought it. iFans know what they need and they buy the iPhone. But why this mission to convert everyone else to their side?
    This is not religion where you need to convert the other guys to your religion otherwise they might kill you.
    If the device doesn't work for someone then they should buy what works and move on.
    larry5332 likes this.
    06-28-11 02:53 PM
    It is funny how to see what people will convert to a religion/team in this world, and I guess that's part of the need to fit in.

I am curios to why most of you other BB fans like BB. I mean Apple's product can do so much more, but doest give you much options to choose from a device preference.
    Andriod is considered to be second best right now, but comes with many models to choose from. I mean even some that are supposed to resemble the BB/Iphone, and yet you guys stay... Why?
    Now the Iphone/Andriod doesn't fall far behind in terms of features (or whatever else) BB, that BB has pronounced king of. Although most things that BB lacks are greatly behind competition.
    Now you can't say there battery life is the far supier, couse some of those phones out their are quiet compareable and the security is good enough for corpreate to use now. Although if that's the reason then fine.

Now I'm sure there is atleast one of you who choose to stay cause you never signed up with another brand for the full 2 years, or see this BB as your CrackBerry. Although I'm curious why you let a brand define who you are, instead of letting youself have other choices?
    06-28-11 03:32 PM
    It is funny how to see what people will convert to a religion/team in this world, and I guess that's part of the need to fit in.

I am curios to why most of you other BB fans like BB. I mean Apple's product can do so much more, but doest give you much options to choose from a device preference.
    Andriod is considered to be second best right now, but comes with many models to choose from. I mean even some that are supposed to resemble the BB/Iphone, and yet you guys stay... Why?
    Now the Iphone/Andriod doesn't fall far behind in terms of features (or whatever else) BB, that BB has pronounced king of. Although most things that BB lacks are greatly behind competition.
    Now you can't say there battery life is the far supier, couse some of those phones out their are quiet compareable and the security is good enough for corpreate to use now. Although if that's the reason then fine.

Now I'm sure there is atleast one of you who choose to stay cause you never signed up with another brand for the full 2 years, or see this BB as your CrackBerry. Although I'm curious why you let a brand define who you are, instead of letting youself have other choices?
    We have other choices and BB is one of them. And we chose BB.
    Apple Crumble and Jake Storm like this.
    06-28-11 03:37 PM
    Yea, well you left out a few things like IMAP that I addressed above, and yes we meaning hundreds of thousands of Law Enforcement Officers both on the federal and State side have been making the swicth and yes no security issues whatsoever.
    It doesnt surprise me the iphone is the cops phone of choice. The problem is that you have no way of knowing if hundreds of thousands cops are having issues. I could just as easilly say they are you would have no idea.

And lastly; know one needs them to put 12 devices out, they already have dozens out on every carrier out there but still loosing ground on a daily basis so maybe they should work on one good product that can compete with the rest of the OS's out there. I dont think thats to much to hope for.
    The only problem with your logic is that BB OS does work. Just because it doesnt have big, bright beautiful buttons and pretty graphics doesnt mean its broke. The stupidity of your average American consumer has increased exponentially the last few decades thus the dumbing down of smartphones. iOS is one big pretty picture - and that appears to be what attracts people these days.

Don't be upset, just look around and you tell me if they are loosing ground daily and why. I loved my BB for years but you have to be honest, after trying the Android and Apple, Rim just feels old. Im sorry if that offends you.
    Not upset at all nor am I offended. The only android OS I had crashed several times a day and lasted less than a month with me. My wifes iphone 3 is more suited for my 3 year old daughter than an adult with work to do. Blah blah blah you cant make folders with an IMAP account- while thats your opinion and you're entitled to it I think that reasoning is silly.
    06-28-11 05:16 PM
    ... you guys stay... Why?
    An abundance of my posts on this site make it clear why. But okay, here are the primary reasons why:

� BlackBerry security (password wipe, AES encryption of all device and media card data)
    � Highly customizable notification profiles
    � BIS push email which comes with the ability to set email filters and have emails of my choice pushed to my device with Level 1 notification. (And yes, I prefer to pay for my push email service rather than rely on google's "free" email and other "cloud" services.)
    � Battery life (BlackBerry's efficient handling of data)
    � Superior call quality
    � Form factor/physical keyboard
    � Overall stability and reliability

Apple Crumble and southlander like this.
    06-28-11 08:02 PM
    An abundance of my posts on this site make it clear why. But okay, here are the primary reasons why:

� BlackBerry security (password wipe, AES encryption of all device and media card data)
    � Highly customizable notification profiles
    � BIS push email which comes with the ability to set email filters and have emails of my choice pushed to my device with Level 1 notification. (And yes, I prefer to pay for my push email service rather than rely on google's "free" email and other "cloud" services.)
    � Battery life (BlackBerry's efficient handling of data)
    � Superior call quality
    � Form factor/physical keyboard
    � Overall stability and reliability

I agree with Battery Life, Superior call quality and most of all form factor. Not sure about stability and the dependence on BIS is a huge disadvantage IMHO and the only reason I am looking at other platforms.
    kbz1960 and howarmat like this.
    06-28-11 09:08 PM
    ... the dependence on BIS is a huge disadvantage ...
    I'm really excited with being able to set filters from the device on os 6. On my 8330 I had to do that from the computer, but I'm not sure if that feature was available on os 5; I skipped right over os 5.

I'll also mention that I love having one email that can't be accessed from any computer teminal, and that's my @carrier.blackberry.net BIS email. No one will be accessing that one by guessing my password any time soon!

06-28-11 09:36 PM
    IMHO, form factor and OS (UI, really) are the only reason to stick with BlackBerry. BES is a great service all around, but reasonable levels of security can be had without BES, and most organizations do not and will not use BES. ActiveSync with PIN locks and full-drive encryption are possible for Android and iOS using third-party software. Obviously it's not the same level as BES, but for most organizations even a PIN lock is overkill.

The problem with BBOS is that Exchange synchronization sucks without BES. BIS is simply not on par with ActiveSync (I'm can't fathom why anyone would ever use IMAP over ActiveSync with Exchange, by the way).

The other issue has been hardware. I've been holding off on replacing my 9000 because RIM hadn't come out with or announced a phone with a more powerful processor. I'm sorry, but three years on the same processor is not acceptable. Yes, adding RAM to each iteration of the Bold and then the Torch was nice, but even when I had a 9700 for work it was only marginally faster than my 9000. So, finally, nearly three years later RIM announces OS7 touchscreen-with-physical-keyboard phones with a processor upgrade.... as dual-core Android phones are coming out.

BlackBerry still has a place on the market, but RIM has to give into what consumers want and keep up with the technology curve. People want dual-core 4G phones with multi-touch, ActiveSync, and full-functioning web browsers, and they want them in Q1 or Q2 2011, not late 2012. I'm one of the few willing to give up all of these things for a superior interface and top-notch keyboard.
    06-29-11 02:08 AM

I din't know that. Can you provide a link to a tutorial to configure that. Seems like a neat feature.

Superior call quality

Exactly!! Everyone seems to gloss over the call quality. The Androids have the poorest voice quality and the iPhone is only marginally better.
    06-29-11 05:41 AM

Why in this day and age does BB still have no real IMAP for BIS. FOr example I'm in government work and with my Iphone, Windows phone, Android phones in your email account you have all your folders listed such as "follow Up's, Saves, and any others that you created. They are all there so you can simply address emails and drop them in the boxes that they belong. You cant do that on a BB unless you pay an additional fee for the BES. What the **** is that? How do they justify doing that when every other OS is allowing everyine access to IMAP.

I'm extremely curious as to which federal government agency is allowing Android and iOS behind firewalls. You see, those OS have not been certified for use. While iOS is close, Android is far behind. So I'm very curious as to who is using non-BES platforms behind firewalls.

As to security - pesky little detail. Security ensures that hacks don't happen and impede your student loan, your social security payments, your ability to move about freely without concern for walking into a train that is about to blow up, visit your family by getting into a plane. In this day and age, with the enemies this country faces, security is critical. And the intelligence infrastructure must ensure that there are are no breaches.

Name me one single government account you hold behind the firewalls that uses something other than Blackberry. Tell me what agency, not necessarily which office, and I will lay low that particular fantasy.

Because, you see, I work in an area very much related to security.

So until iOS and Android achieve the required certifications to go behind the firewalls they will not enter the federal government environment. By all means enjoy your iPhone and Android devices. But don't come and talk about their use in government agencies.

If you work for a business that is under contract to the government then say so. But I won't accept at all the premise that there are iOS, Android and even W7 currently in use behind any firewall connected to BES, which is the only platform currently in use with any active directory.
    06-29-11 06:09 AM
    I BES is a great service all around, but reasonable levels of security can be had without BES, and most organizations do not and will not use BES. ActiveSync with PIN locks and full-drive encryption are possible for Android and iOS using third-party software. Obviously it's not the same level as BES, but for most organizations even a PIN lock is overkill.

The use of BES is not simply synchronisation. That is easy.

They key feature in BES is the monitoring that can happen to ensure the absence of breaches. A lot of people forget that.
    06-29-11 06:14 AM

Please name agencies for the hundreds of thousands of law enforcement officers in federal enforcement who are using iOS and Android devices without certification to do so. Because you see, there is no certification granted.
    06-29-11 06:20 AM
    I din't know that. Can you provide a link to a tutorial to configure that. Seems like a neat feature.
    I'll post the links when I'm home later this evening. What I just found out is that with my new BIS (or maybe it's os 6 I'm not sure which one), I can set and modify the filters right from my BlackBerry! With my 8330, I had to do it from my carrier's BIS web site.

06-29-11 06:49 AM
    This is what I enjoy out of my own device: E-mail, battery life, lossless video, memory card, additional browsers, apps (don't really care for them), physical qwerty keyboard, replaceable battery (all but iDevices, kindle, ebooks, tablets, etc.) & extended batteries, microUSB to charge/sync/transfer data/backup/restore, security, themes. No need to jailbreak or root the device.

Others stated things I missed, now this covers it. I'm an addict. I also broke the 5,500+ SMS barrier JUST on twitter and facebook alone...

06-29-11 07:46 AM
    Please name agencies for the hundreds of thousands of law enforcement officers in federal enforcement who are using iOS and Android devices without certification to do so. Because you see, there is no certification granted.
    Lol... grill 'em Red!!

This is what I enjoy out of my own device: E-mail, battery life, lossless video, memory card, additional browsers, apps (don't really care for them), physical qwerty keyboard, replaceable battery (all but iDevices, kindle, ebooks, tablets, etc.) & extended batteries, microUSB to charge/sync/transfer data/backup/restore, security, themes. No need to jailbreak or root the device.

Others stated things I missed, now this covers it. I'm an addict. I also broke the 5,500+ SMS barrier JUST on twitter and facebook alone...

How many times with this same text be posted and what exactly do you enjoy about a media card?
    06-29-11 08:07 AM
    Lol... grill 'em Red!!

How many times with this same text be posted and what exactly do you enjoy about a media card?
    Video capture is key, I need space, because in places where a camcorder isn't allowed, my blackberry is a non-flipVGA. Besides, I tend to forget my DV and USB cable wherever I go, when it's needed to get the video off the tape(s).

06-29-11 08:14 AM
    Video capture is key, I need space, because in places where a camcorder isn't allowed, my blackberry is a non-flipVGA. Besides, I tend to forget my DV and USB cable wherever I go, when it's needed to get the video off the tape(s).

Relevance?
    06-29-11 08:15 AM
    Relevance?
    Last week, I filmed two 60 minute speeches, another that was 20 minutes. I didn't need to go through two tapes, then wait 140 minutes in order to import in real-time, encode (double the time needed in HD) and then upload when the time was right. All I need to do is just connect the usb cable, copy the files over in less than 13 minutes. Or pop it in that reader.

Besides that, this media card acts as a linux live USB, meaning my BB carries a boot CD on a chip

06-29-11 08:21 AM
    Last week, I filmed two 60 minute speeches, another that was 20 minutes. I didn't need to go through two tapes, then wait 140 minutes in order to import in real-time, encode (double the time needed in HD) and then upload when the time was right. All I need to do is just connect the usb cable, copy the files over in less than 13 minutes. Or pop it in that reader.

Besides that, this media card acts as a linux live USB, meaning my BB carries a boot CD on a chip

I'm really begining to think there's something seriously wrong with you. What does any of that have to do with the OP???
    06-29-11 01:08 PM
    Lol... grill 'em Red!!
    Mmmmmmuuuuaaaahhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    06-29-11 02:02 PM

Well if you are amongst the "Hundred's of thousands of federal law enforcers" for whom security is not an issue, that can only mean that you are so low on the totem pole that your security clearance only allows you access to last week's news. That doesn't mean that those who are in senior positions can sacrifice security simply because a lowly beat constable who doesn't even know what his wife gave him for lunch doesn't need high security.
    A bus driver's security needs are not the same as those in high government or senior corporate executives.
    There are enough examples of corporate spying which can lead to loss of business. RIM guarantees wireless data to be secure. This has been tested by various independent agencies and found to be true.
    Your disdain towards security reflects that you are on the lowest level of security clearance. Not really a shining example for BB security.
    06-29-11 03:05 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD