I've been searching for some updates on Blackberry Radar and Blackberry's collaboration with Nanthealth. I believe Blackberry Radar was supposed to ship in volume sometime in July 2016, but no news on that IoT device. Also, there was rumors one of the big pilot clients for Blackberry Radar was Walmart, but nothing of the sort was mentioned during Walmart's most recent quarterly conference call.

On another note, Blackberry made an investment in Nanthealth before it went public. Nanthealth is now a $1.5 billion dollar company and the stock looks like it's on an uptick from its recent lows. I know QNX plays a key role in most of Nanthealths solutions, I'm just surprised we havent heard a peep for some time now, especially after Nanthealth had its IPO.

Can any Blackberry insiders (Bla1ze) provide details on both of these areas of investment?
    08-24-16 06:27 AM
    I've been searching for some updates on Blackberry Radar and Blackberry's collaboration with Nanthealth. I believe Blackberry Radar was supposed to ship in volume sometime in July 2016, but no news on that IoT device. Also, there was rumors one of the big pilot clients for Blackberry Radar was Walmart, but nothing of the sort was mentioned during Walmart's most recent quarterly conference call.

On another note, Blackberry made an investment in Nanthealth before it went public. Nanthealth is now a $1.5 billion dollar company and the stock looks like it's on an uptick from its recent lows. I know QNX plays a key role in most of Nanthealths solutions, I'm just surprised we havent heard a peep for some time now, especially after Nanthealth had its IPO.

Can any Blackberry insiders (Bla1ze) provide details on both of these areas of investment?
    1) BlackBerry Radar....ship in any kind of "volume". Assists management isn't new, and not really sure if current system are really seen as overly unsecure. Will take time for BlackBerry Radar to "break into" this market.... if ever.

2) Nanthealth.... Has a number of software solutions, along with hardware solutions. As far as we know only the HBox, has any BlackBerry magic in it? But it sounds like the HBox is a "medical-grade gateway".... so you might have a large medical facility with a number of Nanthealth solutions... but just one or two gateways. Yearly sales probable at this point don't reach more than a few hundred units.

Chen isn't shy when it comes to talking about products that are seeing some type of positive results. If you haven't heard anything that is because there is simple nothing happening with those products. They make great announcements for shareholders desperate for good news, and might possibly at some point become profitable.... or maybe open the door for other products that will become profitable. Or they might just never be heard of again.
    08-24-16 07:21 AM
    Thanks for the info! On your first point, John Chen did state at the annual shareholder conference that a "massive" shipment of Blackberry Radar was expected in July 2016 - which in my humble opinion amounts to shipping in volume. Just quoting what came from the horses mouth. I guess we'll see whats up at the quarterly conference call next month. Glad to see Blackberry is now a well diversified company.
    08-24-16 08:39 AM
    If you say so....

Just know a little about Asset Management and BlackBerry isn't even on the Radar that I've seen.

Most of the existing entrenched Asset Management providers out there... offer so much more than just tracking. Have seen no info on BlackBerry Radar being able to "connect" to the onboard computer of a truck, to help with planned maintenance, detect incorrect driving patterns, warn of detected mechanical issues, of to be alerted of manufacturer recalls that need to be addressed.

BlackBerry Radar seem to only be for the trailers or shipping containers. But most all those existing companies that do the full monitoring of the TRUCK, also have secondary devcies that just do the basics like BlackBerry Radar.

But the real kicker is... you can get this stuff pretty much for FREE. It's the cellular connection that you are paying for, and that's why the CARRIER's are the ones driving all of this, they are the ones with the networks. So unless BlackBerry is working to have their more "limited" solutions offered by AT&T or Verizon...

Now if BlackBerry's hardware could be used with other vendors software packages... maybe that would allow them to compete in that segment of the market. But if Radar is and end-to-end solution that must stand on it's on.... doubt it will get anywhere.

As Verizon is going all in.... Verizon acquires Fleetmatics in $2.4 billion deal
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    08-24-16 11:09 AM
    Thanks again for the post. Enlightening to say the least. Much appreciated.

If you say so....

Just know a little about Asset Management and BlackBerry isn't even on the Radar that I've seen.

Most of the existing entrenched Asset Management providers out there... offer so much more than just tracking. Have seen no info on BlackBerry Radar being able to "connect" to the onboard computer of a truck, to help with planned maintenance, detect incorrect driving patterns, warn of detected mechanical issues, of to be alerted of manufacturer recalls that need to be addressed.

BlackBerry Radar seem to only be for the trailers or shipping containers. But most all those existing companies that do the full monitoring of the TRUCK, also have secondary devcies that just do the basics like BlackBerry Radar.

But the real kicker is... you can get this stuff pretty much for FREE. It's the cellular connection that you are paying for, and that's why the CARRIER's are the ones driving all of this, they are the ones with the networks. So unless BlackBerry is working to have their more "limited" solutions offered by AT&T or Verizon...

Now if BlackBerry's hardware could be used with other vendors software packages... maybe that would allow them to compete in that segment of the market. But if Radar is and end-to-end solution that must stand on it's on.... doubt it will get anywhere.

As Verizon is going all in.... Verizon acquires Fleetmatics in $2.4 billion deal
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    08-24-16 07:24 PM
    If you say so....

Interesting comment, however, I think your a bit off track. Container shipping and trucking are two different beasts and it is the former and not the latter that they are addressing. Container tracking is a global business and something carriers are simply not positioned to take advantage of. You need a global low cost, global and robust solution and cell towers certainly aren't going to work. Might be OK for a domestic trucking fleet. Frankly, I think Verizon is a bit over its head on the Fleetmatic deal.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-16 07:05 AM
    Interesting comment, however, I think your a bit off track. Container shipping and trucking are two different beasts and it is the former and not the latter that they are addressing. Container tracking is a global business and something carriers are simply not positioned to take advantage of. You need a global low cost, global and robust solution and cell towers certainly aren't going to work. Might be OK for a domestic trucking fleet. Frankly, I think Verizon is a bit over its head on the Fleetmatic deal.

Posted via CB10
    Most of the current competition that is doing "container tracking" also does "truck tracking" it is the same thing, just less advance. Now some manufactures use other tracking systems to "log" containers at various "check points" from the factory to the distribution point. Variety of RFID products in conjunction with equipment at ports and warehouses take care of that - both Globally and domestically. Just takes the hardware at each location, but it's not full tracking . If you go to BlackBerry Radar... theirs is a cellular system.

Not sure was a global low cost, robust, cell free solution would be?
    08-30-16 02:22 PM