What features? Choosing an ftp server would be nice, but is there anything else that BB10 can't do?

A lot of them have built-in media players, and who knows what else. I think a lot of the extra features are simply bloat. They make navigating the browser more complicated than it needs to be. But I have felt that way about most Android apps that are aimed at power users.

Take a look at Neutron, the best sounding media player on BB10 with more features than anything I've ever seen, except it's effectively unusable due to its UI. I think it's a port, but you get my point...it wouldn't be usable on Android either.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-16 02:33 PM
    What features? Choosing an ftp server would be nice, but is there anything else that BB10 can't do?

Posted via CB10
    Split screens to copy and paste.
    Select All.
    Swipe up from anywhere to run File Manager.
    Chromecast support.
    Master password.
    Protect network locations with password.
    UI customizations up the wazoo.

And a whole ton of cloud connections:
    Attached Thumbnails Blackberry and the QNX team-1465155439133.jpg   Blackberry and the QNX team-1465155446387.jpg  
    Last edited by conite; 06-05-16 at 02:54 PM.
    Yasch22 likes this.
    06-05-16 02:37 PM
    That looks like a really good file manager, clean too.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-16 02:39 PM

Posted via CB10
    Solid Explorer just as an example..

FTP, SFTP, WebDav, SMB/CIFS (supporting all of those is huge). Native ZIP, 7ZIP, RAR, and TAR support. Able to create encrypted ZIP and 7ZIP archives. Support for pretty much every cloud service. Plugins support. Batch renames. Able to act as an FTP or SFTP server. Hiding folders. Chromecast support. Built in media browser. Drag n Drop with multi window support.
    cribble2k likes this.
    06-05-16 02:41 PM
    That looks like a really good file manager, clean too.

Posted via CB10
    It's Solid Explorer.
    06-05-16 02:42 PM
    Copy paste should be better in terms of UX.

Compressed file support is a must. Am struggling without having native, it's the one thing I wish it's native.

Connectivity to file servers can pose a security risk. I can understand why it's not native. But the bare minimum should be native, e.g. WebDAV, sftp, ssh, VPN, based file servers should be supported in the file manager for people accessing work's servers.

The possibilities are endless for software integration. I have no idea how it got blown out.

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    06-05-16 02:49 PM
    If I want to upload my iPhone's photo library to dropbox, I have to do so with the app open. If I pop into Safari or Youtube for a bit, the photo upload will pause after a minute or two. No wonder it has good battery life, it doesn't multask.
    Of course it multitasks (words mean things). If it didn't, you couldn't have left to go to Safari or YouTube in the first place until the upload was done.

Rather, you disagree with the power management of the iPhone, which suspends background tasks after a while to save power. It's completely fair to disagree with those types of decisions, but it is factually incorrect to state that the iPhone "doesn't multitask."
    06-05-16 03:09 PM
    Of course it multitasks (words mean things). If it didn't, you couldn't have left to go to Safari or YouTube in the first place until the upload was done.

Rather, you disagree with the power management of the iPhone, which suspends background tasks after a while to save power. It's completely fair to disagree with those types of decisions, but it is factually incorrect to state that the iPhone "doesn't multitask."
    But...but, it plays YouTube videos in the background...

I'm kidding.
    06-05-16 03:18 PM
    In this thread:
    Attached Thumbnails Blackberry and the QNX team-1465157933366.jpg  
    06-05-16 03:18 PM
    So you don't have to spend fifteen seconds on Google Play, big deal.
    Finding a good file manager that doesn't harvest data take a lot more than 15 seconds.
    06-05-16 07:17 PM
    At least it is an app that BlackBerry built and is secure.
    06-05-16 07:19 PM
    At least it is an app that BlackBerry built and is secure.
    So BB could make a file manager for Priv and the other upcoming devices and you would trust it, yes?

There is no technical reason BB can't make this. The support is there in MM on which to build this.
    06-05-16 07:53 PM

Multi-tasking is doing two things at once.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-16 07:57 PM
    So BB could make a file manager for Priv and the other upcoming devices and you would trust it, yes?

There is no technical reason BB can't make this. The support is there in MM on which to build this.
    I'd certainly trust it more than a Chinese company that I've never heard of before. Or even some American guy named Bob Smith. Or any company who I've never heard of before.

Heck, I could go write a simple Android app and request some permissions and datamine my users and take their photos, and this would be legal, right?

Posted via CB10
    06-05-16 07:59 PM
    I'd certainly trust it more than a Chinese company that I've never heard of before. Or even some American guy named Bob Smith. Or any company who I've never heard of before.
    I'm agreeing with you. I think BB really should build this app and ship it as part of the MM update.
    06-05-16 08:03 PM
    Yes. But Chen has said he doesn't plan to create this stuff since there are file managers already there. Guess they are not a software company. Oh wait..
    06-05-16 10:26 PM

Heck, I could go write a simple Android app and request some permissions and datamine my users and take their photos, and this would be legal, right?

Posted via CB10
    ... I guess if you hide it deep enough within your ten pages of EULA / T&C/ Legalese, etc. you could certainly get away with it.

It's probably legal, but not moral or ethical... :-|

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    06-06-16 01:48 AM
    With that sort of attitude, no wonder Trump, Clinton, Zuckerberg, etc. gets away with it.

Corruption in any form happens regardless of race/ethnicity. That's fact.
    06-06-16 02:01 AM
    BB10 is simply the best and far superior than any other smartphone Os. It works awesome, fast and productive on my Passport SE.

Posted via CB10
    Nope just your opinion, not a fact.
    06-06-16 05:16 PM
    I just bought an iPhone SE. It's my replacement for awhile, maybe until the next BlackBerry is released.

Moving back to my Passport to type this, I am AMAZED about how much smoother the BB10 UI is than iOS. The SE is running one of the highest benchmarked mobile processors on the market, but the OS is laggy and stuttery. Is this the app framework in iOS vs Cascades? I thought iOS was going to be smoother than anything else out there, but it pales in comparison to bb10 on my Passport.

I'm actually beginning to wonder if Android is smoother than iOS as well. I'm so surprised.

Just to note, the stutter is especially seen while swiping from the edge of the screen between pages (in iOS). Man BB10 is buttery smooth.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-16 08:21 PM
    Multi-tasking is doing at two things at once.
    If you have a least two cores it is symmetric multiprocessing. Otherwise, it is simulated multiprocessing--the OS switching among at least two processes or threads (very quickly).
    06-06-16 08:34 PM
    If you have a least two cores it is symmetric multiprocessing. Otherwise, it is simulated multiprocessing--the OS switching among at least two processes or threads (very quickly).
    When Dropbox pauses its upload because I switched to a different app...that's multitasking?

I'm talking simply here. iOS does not have anything close to the kind of multitasking that BB10 has.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-16 09:21 AM
    Split screens to copy and paste.
    :
    Doesn't Work Wide allow this?
    06-07-16 09:39 AM
    Doesn't Work Wide allow this?
    No, File Manager is not part of that app inclusion.
    06-07-16 09:44 AM
    Nope just your opinion, not a fact.
    So is yours, just an opinion

Posted via CB10
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    06-07-16 11:47 AM
187 ... 5678