Hello all.

Long have i wondered when RIM would release their 'Torch' successor, which to me was one of RIM's finest phones i've ever used. Sure it had its flaws, but overall it was a phone ahead of it's time. The reason i used the codename 'Samson' is because i believe that RIM have ignored one of their stronger selling points, the QWERTY keyboard.

Samson lost all of his powers when his hair got cut off, and i believe that RIM have done the same by ignoring the community's cries for a Torch successor. They tried to keep up with the 'all touchscreen phone' hype, while they could have combined the two and make a large screen QWERTY high-end smartphone. The Q10 is a nice phone ( the one i use atm, great phone, but the screen is just too small ).

Specs :

- 5" Super Amoled screen, 1920x1080p resolution
    - 32 GB flash memory
    - 3 GB RAM
    - USB 3.0
    - 2.2 GHZ Snapdragon 800 processor
    - 3.200 mAH battery
    - 13 MP rear camera
    - 4G LTE ready

I am not a professional designer, so it might not look 'neat', sorry about that.

What are your opinions?

EDIT : Updated the pictures with the updated concept version, smaller trackpad, larger keyboard, cleaned it up a bit.
    Attached Thumbnails Blackberry Q40 'Samson' concept. 5 inch QWERTY.-blackberry-slider-front.jpg   Blackberry Q40 'Samson' concept. 5 inch QWERTY.-blackberry-slider-side-back.jpg  
    Last edited by SenorPistachio; 12-13-13 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Q30 typo
    12-09-13 10:50 PM
    Nice concept, but I think the front buttons and trackpad would remind people (especially reviewers) too much about Legacy OS with the spinning hourglass
    Also you mentioned you are currently using a Q30 up there.. :P
    But liking the concept
    maclaskey and anon(5906760) like this.
    12-09-13 10:57 PM
    Hello all.

Long have i wondered when RIM would release their 'Torch' successor, which to me was one of RIM's finest phones i've ever used. Sure it had its flaws, but overall it was a phone ahead of it's time. The reason i used the codename 'Samson' is because i believe that RIM have ignored one of their stronger selling points, the QWERTY keyboard.

Samson lost all of his powers when his hair got cut off, and i believe that RIM have done the same by ignoring the community's cries for a Torch successor. They tried to keep up with the 'all touchscreen phone' hype, while they could have combined the two and make a large screen QWERTY high-end smartphone. The Q30 is a nice phone ( the one i use atm, great phone, but the screen is just too small ).

Specs :

- 5" Super Amoled screen, 1920x1080p resolution
    - 32 GB flash memory
    - 3 GB RAM
    - USB 3.0
    - 2.2 GHZ Snapdragon 800 processor
    - 3.200 mAH battery
    - 13 MP rear camera
    - 4G LTE ready

I am not a professional designer, so it might not look 'neat', sorry about that.

What are your opinions?
    that thing is going to weight twices as much as a Z30 :P

i think the reason they are shying away from this type of concept is simply becaise the size, the Torch isn't exactly small so could you imagine a 5", that would be simply massive
    aleksei2611 likes this.
    12-09-13 10:59 PM
    Wow you have a q30....

And track pad and buttons have to go.

Squircle device powered by 10.2.1.1055
    12-09-13 11:08 PM
    Replace track pad and buttons with slightly longer screen! WHY NOT EH!? lol Also not Q40...call it like S30 (slider)
    12-09-13 11:14 PM
    would buy in two heart beats
    12-09-13 11:15 PM
    To me the trackpad and buttons are essential. Using the Q10 ( no, not the Q30 ) , made me realize that simple tasks like selecting a sentence, trying to copy/ paste it, etc, it just takes too much time, whereas if you use the trackpad it's the simplest of tasks.
    rai187, eldricho, Air1 and 4 others like this.
    12-09-13 11:17 PM
    To me the trackpad and buttons are essential. Using the Q10 ( no, not the Q30 ) , made me realise that simple tasks like selecting a simple sentence, trying to copy/ paste it, etc, it just takes too much time, whereas if you use the trackpad it's the simplest of tasks.
    Yes, and many people feel the same way as you about the trackpad...BUT people will not AT ALL like it if BB goes back to a trackpad...ppl will destroy the company that they are no longer innovating and just going back in the past...they can not put a track pad on any new BB10 device
    12-09-13 11:19 PM
    Take out the track pad and front buttons, and you have just created my dream phone. S10 maybe?!

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 11:20 PM
    And that's exactly the problem. It's simplicity in its purest form in the palm of your hands.

The same could be said about QWERTY keyboards, a lot of people claim that it's not 'modern', and that they type just as easy on their touchscreens, and yet there's a large group of people who won't use anything else ( Myself included ). If you have the ( strong ) core, and you innovate around it, it should be impossible to fail as a company, my two cents...
    RyanGermann likes this.
    12-09-13 11:27 PM
    I guess i'll have to accept that the trackpad will never make a return....

R.I.P trackpad....

Blackberry Q40 'Samson' concept. 5 inch QWERTY.-blackberry-samson.jpg
    12-10-13 12:06 AM
    This would be my dream phone.. 5inch screen is big but I wouldn't mind..
    Physical keyboard
    Trackpad
    Dedicated call buttons

Not the mention the specs are great.. If they would get their heads out of their butts and make something like this..

Posted via CB10
    JoziGrrl and SenorPistachio like this.
    12-10-13 12:14 AM

R.I.P trackpad....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blackberry Samson.jpg 
Views:	4848 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	228587
    Now he's really great #Bravo

Posted Via my Q10
    12-10-13 02:59 AM
    One thing you should keep in mind: A front-facing camera needs some place.
    12-10-13 06:02 AM
    My question is, will that survive on the first drop?

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 06:54 AM
    Yes, and many people feel the same way as you about the trackpad...BUT people will not AT ALL like it if BB goes back to a trackpad...ppl will destroy the company that they are no longer innovating and just going back in the past...they can not put a track pad on any new BB10 device
    It is hardly innovative for BB to copy every other phone out there. If they can not convince legacy owners to switch to BB10, Blackberry will eventually have to get out of the handset business.

I take your point though with respect to a slab phone but not with a device that has a physical keyboard which is old school by design.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    12-10-13 10:51 AM
    Can people please give up on the idea that the old-style trackpad is ever going to return, beyond the obvious pr fallout from them going backwards, the current system for controlling the cursor is applicable to all their devices so any development time spent on further improvements to it also apply to all of their devices, bringing back the old trackpad would mean a whole new lot of stuff would need to be developed that would only be applicable to the one device at a time when they would be wanting to minimise development costs as much as possible.
    RocPlayr likes this.
    12-11-13 06:43 AM
    Can people please give up on the idea that the old-style trackpad is ever going to return, beyond the obvious pr fallout from them going backwards, the current system for controlling the cursor is applicable to all their devices so any development time spent on further improvements to it also apply to all of their devices, bringing back the old trackpad would mean a whole new lot of stuff would need to be developed that would only be applicable to the one device at a time when they would be wanting to minimise development costs as much as possible.
    Well then they should make all devices with a screen size that is suitable for their software. Speaking for myself, I would not trade in my 9900 with its 2.8 inch screen and a track pad for a 3.1 inch screen and no track pad. The extra sales of Q10's if it would have had a trackpad would have more than paid the development costs.

At this juncture though there is not much of a future for their Q models with such a small screen.

A slider should not need a trackpad though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 12-11-13 at 11:19 AM.
    12-11-13 09:54 AM
    Best slider concept I've seen. Though I don't think a slider would live under the Q moniker. I'd prefer the candy bar style, but bravo.
    12-11-13 09:58 AM
    The only blackberry that i loved was my old 9700 torch this phone was my mate, my bro... but when the bb10 arrived i got the z10 but i never left my torch.... even now that it looks too old i won't give up on it... but with this new "torch" arriving i might give up on my family too :P =D

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 01:08 PM
    A 5 inch slider? Yikes. That'd be ridiculously thick and heavy.

Posted via CB10
    rthonpm likes this.
    12-11-13 01:19 PM
    The only blackberry that i loved was my old 9700 torch this phone was my mate, my bro... but when the bb10 arrived i got the z10 but i never left my torch.... even now that it looks too old i won't give up on it... but with this new "torch" arriving i might give up on my family too :P =D

Posted via CB10
    9800 Torch, the 9700 is a Bold.
    12-11-13 01:20 PM
    I like it, but I don't know why somebody needs the trackpad anymore ?

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 01:34 PM

R.I.P trackpad....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blackberry Samson.jpg 
Views:	4848 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	228587
    So sad too, losing the trackpad often cuts the screen size in half.

The 3 inch screen on my 9810 is bigger that the 4.5" screen of my Lumia when scrolling through emails and feeds like Twitter. Instagram is the biggest offender, there is almost no way to see the picture, read the post and keep your finger on the screen.

The trackpad is NOT BlackBerry's problem, it was THE solution. Imagine one tool that could activate "Peek", "Flow", act as a mouse, click links, take pictures, select text, zoom in and out, act as a home button, scroll the screen, quick answer/decline a call or quick respond to a Toast message.

Maybe instead of just showing the trackpad, you could show how it actually DOES make BB10 better. Peek and Flow from the trackpad would be amazing.

Don't cave in, leave the trackpad!
    neoberry99 likes this.
    12-11-13 01:35 PM
    I certainly miss my Torch 9800, to which I wished it had the 9810 capabilities.

I got the Z10 now, hoping it may have come with that slider version.

I know I'll be looking for the OS10 and up slider, when am due my upgrade; so bring it on

Jtv
    12-11-13 01:46 PM
114 123 ...