Hi all, I've had my 4S since it first came out, I was forced to switch to it from my old Blackberry at the time by my carrier. I've wanted to go back to the Blackberry for a long time, and with my iPhone dying every day and not working right, now is the time.

My problem is whether to go with the Priv or the Classic. The Classic is more similar to the Blackberries that I'm used to, but the Priv has all of the modern trimmings that seem beneficial. When it comes down to it, I use my phone for calls, texts, e-mail, bank balances (US Bank, Capital One, and HACU), and a very small amount of GPS navigation.

I really like the look of the Priv, but I'm afraid it might be a little large. I like the size of the 4S, and I don't really want a bigger phone. Some people are claiming the Priv is as big as the 6+, which is massively big.

The Classic looks good, but it's a little dated at this point, and I'm not sure about performance. A big reason I'm getting away from my ancient iphone is because it stalls very frequently.

Another big factor is affordability. Verizon (my carrier, and really the only carrier I can have where I am geographically) wants $300 down, and to up my plan to $80/month, which is a huge leap from $45/month (my current plan).

With the Classic, the only other Blackberry that Verizon offers, they'd like me to pay $160 down and up my plan to $55-60/month, which is quite a bit more reasonable.

But with how I use my phone, and the Classic being a bit older, would it be better to just get the Priv?

I've thought about getting a Classic to hold me over until the Hamburg/Rome comes out, one of those is supposed to be a more affordable Android model, which appeals to me.

Thoughts?
    06-10-16 09:38 AM
    If you grew accustomed to apps, go with the BlackBerry Priv. If all you do is just what you spelled out, then the Classic is a superb and familiar device. Check BlackBerry world to see if your banking apps are available, however I find using their mobile Web sites, I have a lot of functionality and there is never a need to do updates using Web pages. You will enjoy the physical speed at which you can type and respond. Texts will be longer and have more depth than your glass screen iPhone. I had to go back to my Z30 while my other phone is getting repaired and I issue it's keyboard.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2558
    06-10-16 09:56 AM
    I own both. The Priv is my suggestion for u. The Classic is gorgeous and is my heart but the Priv gives u the BlackBerry goodies such as Hub, excellent PKB and VKB, no fuss interface, great screen, better camera, Dtek and apps. I don't find the size of the Priv to be cumbersome and I use the physical keyboard a lot for typing lengthy replies such as this. I am very happy with the Priv and own the Leap, Z10 and Q10 also. Now my Priv is from ShopBlackberry because I am tired of being carrier dependent when it comes to updates.

Posted via my Priv
    06-15-16 06:29 PM
    Classic for basic stuff is just a joy. Variety of apps and lager screen, plus faster processor, Priv. That said, Classic is way cheaper and IMO, has a better build quality. It just feels rock solid. I also did not like the power button being on the side (yes it's minor, but it was annoying). Top mount works best for me. Actually, the Passport felt better in hand to me than the Priv. Also, way faster than the Classic.

If you are sticking with Blackberry, you wont go wrong with either.
    06-16-16 06:42 AM
    I have a Classic and Passport and I have also been eyeing the Priv. The ONLY time that you will ever find that the Classic lags is when running Android apps. Other than that, and for your main uses of the device, it runs buttery smooth, including for Web browsing. You may not be able to find all of your banking apps without going the Android route but, as another user mentioned, the mobile sites should serve you just fine.

The Classic is a joy to use but it won't seem as modern as the Priv. However, if size is a concern for you, that might make it the correct choice for you on that factor alone. As I said, I also own the Passport (which is faster) but the size of the Classic makes it the perfect device to carry with me on a daily basis.
    schlemer and Robert Bitter like this.
    06-16-16 06:59 AM
    Hi,
    I just saw your reply and I would greatly appreciate your feedback on this: I am thinking about getting the blackberry and dedicating a second line, just for the BB.

Typing? Between the two (Passport and Classic), which do you prefer? Also, do you think that Blackberry is going to continue supporting BB OS or are they going to stop?

Thank you.
    06-26-16 04:03 PM
    Hi,
    I just saw your reply and I would greatly appreciate your feedback on this: I am thinking about getting the blackberry and dedicating a second line, just for the BB.

Typing? Between the two (Passport and Classic), which do you prefer? Also, do you think that Blackberry is going to continue supporting BB OS or are they going to stop?

Thank you.
    This way he may not know about your comment.. You've to quote him.. Or better just send him a direct PM..
    06-26-16 04:08 PM
    Hi,

Thank you.
    Typing is a mixed bag. On the passport the bigger keys is good for my big fingers. But lacking the ^ and sym buttons slows it down vs the Classic.

The real killer is having been using trackballs and touchpads on all my BlackBerry phones and then going to the Passport. Editing text is *painful* when you're used to a trackpad. The tradeoff is the bigger screen that I'd have to give up to get the toolbelt back.

Passport SE, "The BlockBerry" - Cricket Wireless
    06-26-16 04:41 PM
    I use a 64gb 4s as my ipod for my car (it was cheaper to buy used than a 64gb ipod touch). It works perfectly as a phone but my hands are so big I'd go insane typing on that screen!

06-26-16 04:46 PM
    Typing is a mixed bag. On the passport the bigger keys is good for my big fingers. But lacking the ^ and sym buttons slows it down vs the Classic.

The real killer is having been using trackballs and touchpads on all my BlackBerry phones and then going to the Passport. Editing text is *painful* when you're used to a trackpad. The tradeoff is the bigger screen that I'd have to give up to get the toolbelt back.

Even using the touch keyboard for text editing? You double tap and it becomes a cursor similar to the trackpad of old.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-16 05:18 PM
    If you're considering the Priv, don't waste your money. Get a better Android device like the Nexus 6p or anything by Samsung.

Posted via Nexus 6p
    Old_Mil likes this.
    06-27-16 01:54 AM
    If you're considering the Priv, don't waste your money. Get a better Android device like the Nexus 6p or anything by Samsung.

Posted via Nexus 6p
    Nexus 6P or Anything By Samsung.. Where do you think you're.. Android Central?
    06-27-16 02:32 AM
    I've thought about getting a Classic to hold me over until the Hamburg/Rome comes out, one of those is supposed to be a more affordable Android model, which appeals to me.

Thoughts?
    Wait for the hamburg, it will be unveiled in July.. Which is right around the corner.. It'll Probably be released in August or September.. So just sit tight these 2 months.
    06-27-16 02:35 AM
    Even using the touch keyboard for text editing? You double tap and it becomes a cursor similar to the trackpad of old.

Posted via CB10
    I had to disable the touch keyboard because I always wound up scrolling pages by accident. I can't seem to have it both ways.

06-27-16 05:22 AM
    Just for typing, I find the Passport is the best that BlackBerry has made when it comes to keyboards on mobile devices.

That said, for text editing, I prefer the Classic.

Also, I'm on the go all of the time. If I had an office job where I wore a suit and spent the majority of my time in one place, I'd go with the Passport. The main reason that the Classic is my go-to is because it offers pretty much all of the same functionality but it is more portable.

If your deciding factor is ONLY typing experience though, I have to say that the Passport is in a completely different league. While you can compare the Classic keyboard to old legacy BlackBerry devices, you can almost compare the Passport keyboard to some laptops out there. It is really that good. Bigger learning curve, but after a while you can fly on that thing.
    06-27-16 06:50 AM