These days I see a big touted feature for future/recent Android Phones called VirtualReality (VR) or upcoming Google Daydream. Could you help me understand how and why its being marketed as the next 'big' thing or a make or break feature while picking up your next premium Android Phone? To me it seems to be a bit gimmicky rather than a boon or bane.

BB phones' won't have it and will continue to be sold at a "premium" price. Do you guys think that along with regular 100 woes and negativity that BB already picks up from the web, this would be a big addition?
    06-14-16 11:46 AM
    You found 3D TV's here in all Electronic Discounts.
    And all new Movies on Blu-ray are available in 3D.

Posted from my Z30 (10.3.2.2876) #ILoveBB10Apps #ILoveBB10 #LoveHelloGames #NoMansSky
    Most of those 3D TV's at Electronic "Discount" stores are from three or four years ago.... With this year's batch of new TV's... it's hard to find one that is 3D capable (but not impossible).

Content... sure you can buy movies in 3D, but sales show that 3D isn't selling. If you have a 3D TV at home... have the number of channels and programs shown in 3D increased? Or decreased? I think 3D at the movies still sells, but home 3D just didn't live up to it's full potential.... at least not yet.

VR... has been around for a while, but has gotten much more attention of late thanks to hardware and software advances. But there are issues with VR... the nausea and physical discomfort that comes from spending large amounts of time using VR systems means they are unlikely to take over our homes just yet.
    VR is a gimmick at this time... kinda like 3D TV's were all the rage a few years ago... now you can't find one, or any content.

But is is cool what can be accomplished with the right hardware and the right software.... but nothing for BlackBerry to feel bad about not going after.

As for "premium" prices... we have yet to see where the Rome and Hamburg will be priced. The leaked info does not scream premium products so I doubt they'll be over $600.
    06-14-16 01:15 PM
    Any Android VR solution that isn't tied to specific hardware (like the GearVR) should work just fine on Android based BlackBerry phones.

There are a posts in the Priv forum about using Cardboard.
    06-14-16 02:24 PM
    Any Android VR solution that isn't tied to specific hardware (like the GearVR) should work just fine on Android based BlackBerry phones.

There are a posts in the Priv forum about using Cardboard.
    Didn't know about it. Thinking of getting a Priv on Telus using my corporate plan for CA$110 on a 2 year plan but was skeptical of whole VR thing, if that is going to be a game changer for my decision or not.
    06-14-16 02:43 PM
    yes, these phones/projects if they ever see the light of the day may not be premium but today One Plus 3 was launched at CA$519 and is VR capable and looks impressive. Again pure android - BB goodies.
    06-14-16 02:45 PM
    VR is a gimmick at this time... kinda like 3D TV's were all the rage a few years ago... now you can't find one, or any content.

Posted from my Z30 (10.3.2.2876) #ILoveBB10Apps #ILoveBB10 #LoveHelloGames #NoMansSky
    06-15-16 03:53 AM

Most of those 3D TV's at Electronic "Discount" stores are from three or four years ago.... With this year's batch of new TV's... it's hard to find one that is 3D capable (but not impossible).

Content... sure you can buy movies in 3D, but sales show that 3D isn't selling. If you have a 3D TV at home... have the number of channels and programs shown in 3D increased? Or decreased? I think 3D at the movies still sells, but home 3D just didn't live up to it's full potential.... at least not yet.

VR... has been around for a while, but has gotten much more attention of late thanks to hardware and software advances. But there are issues with VR... the nausea and physical discomfort that comes from spending large amounts of time using VR systems means they are unlikely to take over our homes just yet.
    06-15-16 08:35 AM
    I use a vr set with my priv all the androids they produce will work with it

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-17-16 11:53 PM
    3D failed.. VR may follow, We'll have to see about that.. Its too early to judge but its not quite important.

BlackBerry is targeting corporations and govs with their phones.. That's the market they're operating in.. Its very hard to become profitable from such a niche market.. When they were market leaders, Everyone had their phones.. Not just corporations.. They need to release their phones with the masses in mind (With chinese phones in mind too).

The Price range will be around $400.. No where near $500 or above. Chen stated in an interview that people wanted a $400 device.
    06-18-16 01:04 AM
    Daydream (announced at Google IO 2016) has hardware requirements significantly higher than Google Cardboard (announced in 2014)

I'd probably expect any android phone you picked up these days to be Cardboard-compatible. Blackberry isn't on the list of manufacturers announced to be building Daydream-compatible phones.

It seems unlikely that the Priv, or the announced two Blackberry Android phones would be Daydream-compatible.
    06-18-16 02:14 PM