I don't see any reason for someone (even if they somehow like android?) to get a BB android. Just pointless from all perspectives. Even at the price point you are writing.
    For a BB10 user, at this point, it's the only way to get an upgraded device and hopefully BlackBerry nailed the BlackBerry Experience so the transition won't be much of a big deal.

For the Android user, it'll have to be the keyboard or just wanting something different from the rest of the crowd. This would apply to iOS users too.
    09-28-15 05:37 PM
    This reminds me of the excitement about the Palm Pre slider with its unique river rock shape. People wanted to try it and hold the slider. It won best of show at CES 2009. It was given a full flagship launch by Sprint. Most people in technology have owned a Palm PDA over the years. WebOS was even considered to be the "hands down" best user interface. It wasn't enough.
    Palm was a different situation... Sprint wasn't the best carrier to launch with (small number of users), hardware had lots of QC problems, and the commercials were terrible (too high-concept). Once they got sold to HP, the CEO got into a scandal and was replaced by a CEO who jettisoned *all* hardware to make an absolute go at software services. The OS never had a fair chance. As for "hands down" best user interface, it's notifications system got dissected and pulled into Android and iOS. It's gesture and some card features were pulled into PlayBook OS and BB10. So, yes, it's user interface was the best.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    09-28-15 05:43 PM
    You might be surprised, I think they might have a winner with the Priv. Pricing will be the key, I am hoping it's between $549 and $649 and I am all in.
    The Passport was supposed to be the winner. The name BlackBerry is toxic. I think if BlackBerry made the iPhone, they would find a way to screw it up.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 08:39 PM
    To the OP, I'm getting one and chatting with many Android using buddies, they are mostly on board and can't wait. Most were X-BB users that loved the keyboard. I'm getting one just to play around with it to decide. No device so far has been able to take me away from my Passport. I think this phone will surprise a lot of doubters.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 08:53 PM
    Considering that Priv purportedly incorporates key Blackberry OS 10 features (ie. hub and business productivity suite), it is obviously aimed at the android byod segment of the enterprise market. If it is a success, there is always the possibility that the Priv could catch on with consumer android users as the specs are top tier. Possible downside is that many android users like to get deep into software to customize, modify and tweet their phones. Will they have access to Blackberry android code too?
    09-28-15 09:29 PM
    For a BB10 user, at this point, it's the only way to get an upgraded device and hopefully BlackBerry nailed the BlackBerry Experience so the transition won't be much of a big deal.

For the Android user, it'll have to be the keyboard or just wanting something different from the rest of the crowd. This would apply to iOS users too.
    For a BB10 user it is time to look out for a different OS. That's what a lot of people are doing lately. Mainly going to iOS (or some small alternatives like Jolla/Ubuntu) since they hate android.
    09-29-15 02:29 AM
    The Passport was supposed to be the winner. The name BlackBerry is toxic. I think if BlackBerry made the iPhone, they would find a way to screw it up.

Posted via CB10
    The Blackberry name is toxic at the moment because of the lack of apps, the half baked Android runtime embedded into OS10 is not the answer.

Most of the popular apps require google play services which the new Priv will support. The major key is going to be the price of the device?

If Blackberry prices the Priv around the same as the Passport SE at 549.00 US, I think they might have a winner. Just my two cents.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    09-29-15 04:59 AM
    If this has even slight success, Samsung & others will be out with sliders at half the price in a new york minute...

Bumpkin
    09-29-15 10:17 AM
    Blackberry has always sold 2nd or 3rd gen hardware for flagship prices, I suspect due to volume. This actually has some 1st gen hardware in it, so BB, in all likely hood, will charge a premium for it. This won't do a lot for sales volume.

The other thing I find astonishing, is that people are complaining "you haven't given it a chance, it hasn't been released yet, etc." This is bone stock android, been around for years, and I've owned 4 of them. I left android for a boatload of reasons that have yet to be fixed to this day on the platform. So, pray tell, what do people think is going to make this stand out??? BB productivity emulation? The best emulation on it's best day can be said to work. It's downhill from there. Added security? Without altering the base os? What does that consist of? Antivirus software? Web page scanning?

Oh yeah, the added keyboard. Samsung stratosphere, Motorola droid, etc. Not enough sales to move the needle for them to keep even one token keyboard around. Yet will attract millions of competitive customers to go Blackberry and away from commodity android?

It isn't a hatred for change, lack of knowledge, or other such idiotic insults against the BB10 users on here. Android has been an option since long before bb10. A good portion of the users on this site bought blackberry BECAUSE they didn't want android. I don''t see how a new label on and android phone changes that. The better question is, if android is and was the answer all along, why in the world did YOU buy BB10 in the first place??
    09-29-15 08:43 PM
    You might be surprised, I think they might have a winner with the Priv. Pricing will be the key, I am hoping it's between $549 and $649 and I am all in.
    I think that is where they will price it but realistically for this thing to have a chance at moving numbers in an unlocked full retail form that could save the handset business it would need to be under $450 in my opinion. The one good thing they have going is that if all 4 carriers pick it up as has been reported then the consumer will at least have financing options available at which point I don't think the total price matters anymore to the general consumer, they only pay attention to the monthly cost and it will likely be far less monthly than either the flagship samsung or iPhone which I think is good enough.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition
    09-29-15 09:04 PM
    Blackberry has always sold 2nd or 3rd gen hardware for flagship prices, I suspect due to volume. This actually has some 1st gen hardware in it, so BB, in all likely hood, will charge a premium for it. This won't do a lot for sales volume.
    You're right! They put some 1st gen hardware in there. Why didn't they stick with the plan? Did they listen to user complaints about using 2nd and 3rd gen hardware in "premium" flagships?! No way!

The other thing I find astonishing, is that people are complaining "you haven't given it a chance, it hasn't been released yet, etc." This is bone stock android, been around for years, and I've owned 4 of them. I left android for a boatload of reasons that have yet to be fixed to this day on the platform. So, pray tell, what do people think is going to make this stand out??? BB productivity emulation? The best emulation on it's best day can be said to work. It's downhill from there. Added security? Without altering the base os? What does that consist of? Antivirus software? Web page scanning?
    Keep guessing! We don't know! Obviously you don't care about security, or perceived security, because you've had four Androids and something else got you off Android. Maybe it was just the interface?

Oh yeah, the added keyboard. Samsung stratosphere, Motorola droid, etc. Not enough sales to move the needle for them to keep even one token keyboard around. Yet will attract millions of competitive customers to go Blackberry and away from commodity android?
    Explain how declining sales of BB10 would change things for them? Yeah, yeah, another high-end full touch will solve everything... yada, yada. The Priv only needs to sell better than BB10, over 800k units.

It isn't a hatred for change, lack of knowledge, or other such idiotic insults against the BB10 users on here. Android has been an option since long before bb10. A good portion of the users on this site bought blackberry BECAUSE they didn't want android. I don''t see how a new label on and android phone changes that. The better question is, if android is and was the answer all along, why in the world did YOU buy BB10 in the first place??
    How BlackBerry arrived at Android:

Obviously, BlackBerry didn't think Android was the answer all along because they spent a crap load of money and resources making BB10. At this point, BB10 sales have gone down the toilet. They have only a few OS'es to switch to: Android, iOS, and Windows Phone. Going iOS is out. Windows Phone might be an option, but it is struggling with the same issues BB10 has. Hmm... what's left? Oh yeah, Android, which makes up 80% of the market. BlackBerry got into this position because the "good portion" of people you're talking about isn't enough to sustain their hardware business.

As for me, I went BB10 because of the gesture interface. It makes the most sense to me. It wasn't because I didn't want Android.
    09-30-15 12:14 AM
    Wait, i thought the passport was the last phone?
    Or the classic?
    Or the Q5?
    How many last phones does Blackberry get?
    is it like a cat with lives?
    09-30-15 12:15 AM
    Even though they are going with android, "since this device won't sell good either" this will be the first and last android phone BB will ever create.

I guess it is for the best so we can finish with this and move on at last.
    The quote above is a mighty prophecy based on zero reasoning.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-15 01:15 AM
    I think that is where they will price it but realistically for this thing to have a chance at moving numbers in an unlocked full retail form that could save the handset business it would need to be under $450 in my opinion. The one good thing they have going is that if all 4 carriers pick it up as has been reported then the consumer will at least have financing options available at which point I don't think the total price matters anymore to the general consumer, they only pay attention to the monthly cost and it will likely be far less monthly than either the flagship samsung or iPhone which I think is good enough.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition
    Definitely needs to be under 450

The Priv is pretty much a G4 with a lesser camera and slideout keyboard
    or a moto X with comparable camera and slide out keyboard.
    People may be willing to pay for a decent camera but i doubt they will pay extra for a slide out keyboard
    TgeekB likes this.
    09-30-15 01:30 AM
    Definitely needs to be under 450

The Priv is pretty much a G4 with a lesser camera and slideout keyboard
    or a moto X with comparable camera and slide out keyboard.
    People may be willing to pay for a decent camera but i doubt they will pay extra for a slide out keyboard
    Yours is the lowest estimate I have seen yet.
    This would make a great contest for CrackBerry or a poll at the very least.
    Whoever guesses the wins a prize.
    Kind of like "The Price is Right".
    09-30-15 07:51 AM
    I'm not questioning the obvious decline and death of BB10 - only thing I'm questioning is stubbornly denying that past choices - or lack thereof - played a key role in making this real, unavoidable and necessary. As of now there's probably no other sane choice than releasing the Priv with Android. What bugs me is that many here love to make it look like it was unavoidable from the start. That's why I was complaining about people oversimplifying things.
    An excellent point. This hindsight "wisdom" is amazing. If these people were around declaring that BBRY should have gone to Android 3+ years ago, then congratulations for predicting he future, but this fantasy that we HAD to end up here is pure nonsense.

Make no mistake--we've been DRIVEN here by incompetence, failure and Chen's decisions, which CREATED this dead end.

KAM
    Allanon89 likes this.
    09-30-15 08:04 AM
    I'd guess that BB will once again shoot themselves in the foot by setting a price that only iPhone and Samsung Edge type phones can command.

I further predict that this absurd pricing decision will be defended here on CB, the Priv will suffer the same lacklustre sales as all previous BB phones, and <<poof>> BB's last, best, hope of saving the hardware division will be gone.

When I win, I'll donate my prize to a worthy cause.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    09-30-15 08:15 AM
    The Blackberry name is toxic at the moment because of the lack of apps, the half baked Android runtime embedded into OS10 is not the answer.

Most of the popular apps require google play services which the new Priv will support. The major key is going to be the price of the device?

If Blackberry prices the Priv around the same as the Passport SE at 549.00 US, I think they might have a winner. Just my two cents.
    If you think the BlackBerry name is Toxic 'at the moment' because of 'lack of apps' I think you're misidentifying the issue. Lack of apps might be a reason customers don't buy something, but a company isn't seen as a joke because of that. They're "toxic" because they're seen as bumbling fools, that can't get anything right--which is the narrative that the media has pushed, and people have listened to.

Their inept attempt to Chase that problem with half-baked "solutions" might be a reason people see them as a joke, but it isn't the lack of apps itself.

By saying "at the moment" you seem to imply that at another moment, when some BlackBerry device (the Priv) DOES have app access that this Toxic Brand will suddenly become be non-toxic. Good luck with that. Highly unlikely (although my stock portfolio will be happy if you were right).

BlackBerry once had a better Ecosystem than Apple (for example) who came out and provided customers with (what they saw as) an innovation, and convinced them APPLE had the "must have" device. They didn't have a great selection of Apps to begin with, and reportedly Steve Jobs didn't even think it was important. Apple's rise did not come BECAUSE of apps, nor did BlackBerry's fall.

It's a piece of the puzzle, and perhaps people staring at that same piece to the exclusion of the whole picture is why BlackBerry has floundered.

I really can't believe that people think that this is so simple. From Chen on down to some users. Apps, Apps, Apps. That's it, this will turn everything around. Well, if you're right and I'm wrong--I'll eat crow, and admit I'm wrong. But EVERYTHING about that seems like a gross oversimplification.

KAM
    dusanvn, Allanon89 and dolco like this.
    09-30-15 08:16 AM
    If people can't use it, they won't buy it. If there is another better device at similar price point, they'll buy that instead. I predict BlackBerry will sell dozens of the priv.
    Last edited by patapoof; 09-30-15 at 09:25 AM.
    09-30-15 08:54 AM
    Come on Chen , give us the the BB10 Priv!!!

  
    09-30-15 09:15 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yup, that's right... if BlackBerry made the iPhone they surely would screw it up because...

No one would know about because they refuse to advertise.

It would be late... after noncommittal statements it would come out "late this year".

It would be sold through ridiculously horrible sales channels like Shop BlackBerry.

You could never find one to hold in your hands and review before buying.

The CEO would embarrass the device every time he opens his pie hole.

Customer service would be non-existent.

By the time such a device finally hits the market, after months and months of nothing but rumors... the hardware would be almost obsolete, but they would still charge a premium price for it.

This stuff is so simple actually... I wonder how it is that the smartest CEO since the real JC can't figure it out.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-15 09:22 AM
    Yup, that's right... if BlackBerry made the iPhone they surely would screw it up because...

No one would know about because they refuse to advertise.

It would be late... after noncommittal statements it would come out "late this year".

It would be sold through ridiculously horrible sales channels like Shop BlackBerry.

You could never find one to hold in your hands and review before buying.

The CEO would embarrass the device every time he opens his pie hole.

Customer service would be non-existent.

By the time such a device finally hits the market, after months and months of nothing but rumors... the hardware would be almost obsolete, but they would still charge a premium price for it.

This stuff is so simple actually... I wonder how it is that the smartest CEO since the real JC can't figure it out.

Posted via CB10
    Because he doesn't know much about the hardware business to begin with... except what he has learned from others at BlackBerry (who didn't really understand it either) And how much of his experience has been in selling products to consumers?

I think JC is a smart businessman... but he is not a salesman or a consumer oriented person. And sadly I don't think you can count on a product that has no consumer appeal being a viable product. I saw where they now only need about 5 Million device a year in order to break even on hardware, and that they plan to give the Priv about 9 months to see if this move to Android is a viable solution.

But sadly I think it will take at least 9 months for Regulated Enterprise and Government to test a BlackBerry Android solution before even approving them for use on their networks. (heck it might take some governments 9 months to approve testing of BlackBerry latest solution)
    09-30-15 09:36 AM
    You might be surprised. I know I've seen some people on various forums who have moved away from Android phones with keyboards only because they were forced to. There have been a small handful of Android phones with keyboards released in the last 2-3 years, but they've all had mid-to-low end specs, and people weren't willing to compromise on specs. Now people will have that option, and there's a lot of excitement in that. Additionally, the Android version in the (ugh) Priv is pretty close to stock from what we've seen, and that's a selling point as well judging by how many people prefer Nexus devices or "Google Play Edition" versions of various flagships.
    09-30-15 11:26 AM
    I'd guess that BB will once again shoot themselves in the foot by setting a price that only iPhone and Samsung Edge type phones can command.

I further predict that this absurd pricing decision will be defended here on CB, the Priv will suffer the same lacklustre sales as all previous BB phones, and <<poof>> BB's last, best, hope of saving the hardware division will be gone.

When I win, I'll donate my prize to a worthy cause.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I hope they take a page from LG's book and price it at $599 or below. The $599 price of the G4 was a real winner.
    09-30-15 11:28 AM
    If this has even slight success, Samsung & others will be out with sliders at half the price in a new york minute...

Bumpkin
    You think they'll bring back external storage too? I see a lot of folks miffed about high end phones lacking SD card slots.

Posted from BlackBerry Classic, T-Mobile, no camera, 10.3.2.2474
    09-30-15 12:21 PM
172 ... 34567