Hi,

I'm a huge BlackBerry fan, and though admittedly I haven't used a BlackBerry device for far too long (other than the Bold Touch which I used for approx. 6 months), I'm very interested in the BlackBerry Priv. It's a BlackBerry phone that runs Android that should allow users to be free of any security concerns, and if BB OS 10 is any indication of how refined an OS BlackBerry will be making out of Android, I'm ready to jump on the band-wagon.

But the problem is availability. I live in Pakistan and the easiest solution is to get it from stores that plan on importing the handset in. And to my surprise, they're currently marketing it a little shy of $1400/- See homeshopping.pk/products/BlackBerry-PRIV-Price-in-Pakistan-.html.

So I'm now seriously considering going for a BlackBerry Leap or Z30. Given the latest OS 10 update with the capability to run Android apps through Amazon App Store, I'm wondering if it is worth it to go towards the Priv instead of the Leap. I don't play that many games, and other than some basic social networking apps, gym workout apps, and then some (like Instagram, 500px, FB, Twitter, etc.) I don't really use that many apps.

So... Question is: Do I wait around for the Priv to come down to a reasonable price around here, or should I opt for Leap and stick it out with OS10?

Regards.
    Salman Khalid.
    11-05-15 02:17 PM
    It all boils down to you man, can't really recommend anything. Looking at your profile you already have a later android. I'd stick it out until the Priv comes down in price, with carrier support. I have none... no carrier support, no importer yet.
    msalmank likes this.
    11-05-15 02:55 PM
    Get the Z30. It's not expensive now (about $250 USD), try Amazon.com. Great device and much better specs than the Leap.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-15 03:21 PM
    Get the Z30. It's not expensive now (about $250 USD), try Amazon.com. Great device and much better specs than the Leap.

Posted via CB10
    If it's BB10 and you want it looking premium, go Z30... :-)

 Priv New (Chendroid) World...? :-| 
    11-05-15 03:47 PM
    Just wondering... but with Pakistan shutting down BlackBerry Services, including messaging....

How does that affect BB10 devices? Are they totally blocking access to BlackBerry Services, BIS, BES along with the Network Services that BB10 devices do need for BBID and BBM?

And if the PRIV needs some of that same Network Access?

I assume you have friends that are using BlackBerries? Might want to confirm what they are seeing - maybe Network Services aren't blocked just BBM and BES?
    11-05-15 03:58 PM
    Just wondering... but with Pakistan shutting down BlackBerry Services, including messaging....

How does that affect BB10 devices? Are they totally blocking access to BlackBerry Services, BIS, BES along with the Network Services that BB10 devices do need for BBID and BBM?

I assume you have friends that are using BlackBerries? Might want to confirm what they are seeing - maybe Network Services aren't blocked just BBM and BES?
    Can they shutdown BBM on BB10?

Seeing as we don't require the usual BlackBerry Internet Services I presumed the BlackBerry logo was just to indicate you had data connection not BIS connection.

Posted via CB10 from Scotland using PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2789
    11-05-15 04:08 PM
    Oh yeah and buy a Leap. My stepmother has one and I like it.

11-05-15 04:09 PM

Posted via CB10
    I agree. If you want a BB10 device go with the Z30, not the Leap.
    11-05-15 04:23 PM
    Oh yeah and buy a Leap. My stepmother has one and I like it.

Not a bad device at all.

Screen is bright. My wife decided for Leap instead of Z30, my dad already had a Z30, and we wanted to try something new. Also sharp Partner Look with Black original Passport... :-)

 Priv New (Chendroid) World...? :-| 
    JamieWilson01 and msalmank like this.
    11-05-15 04:25 PM
    If money isn't a issue then get the Priv. But if you're on a budget then I'd go for the Z30

Posted via CB10
    11-05-15 04:54 PM
    Definitely, definitely the Priv

Posted via CB10
    11-05-15 05:24 PM

Blackberry Internet Services are being discontinued by some carriers but the major ones still support it as various organizations are still using the classic Blackberry devices and aren't expected to upgrade either.

Regardless I don't think that's an issue anymore with BB10 a's everything operates normally over your 4g or lte network. But it's good to be sure, so I'll definitely check with a friend.

Thanks!
    11-05-15 06:04 PM
    It all boils down to you man, can't really recommend anything. Looking at your profile you already have a later android. I'd stick it out until the Priv comes down in price, with carrier support. I have none... no carrier support, no importer yet.
    My father-in-law''s phone was quite out dated so my wife gave her iPhone to him as a gift and reverted to my old Nokia Lumia 920 device for herself, which isn't in the best shape either.

Thus giving me the opportunity tof give her my S6 Edge and either go for the Priv or go with the Z30. ☺

Thanks for the advice!
    11-05-15 06:07 PM
    The BlackBerry Leap for me just because it has the awesome BB10 Os, Peak hub, Blend, File manager, LED color notification, security, it is fast and smooth, it has BBM video chat , multi-tasking is awesome with active frames, etc.. The BB10 Os is simply awesome. Plus it can install 90% of android apps out there.

  
    11-05-15 06:30 PM
    Thanks... Yeah, i'm opting towards the Leap or Z30 now over the Leap. I know that it's probably stupidity to go for a dying OS (BB doesn't have plans further than the expected 10.3 update Q1 2016, right?), but I love the BB 10 OS and had originally held off due to app compatibility and now that most Android apps can be installed without much of a hassle... i want to get on it. Plus the fact that I can probably find a slightly used Z30 for around $150 easy in the market here...
    11-06-15 01:14 PM
    Thanks... Yeah, i'm opting towards the Leap or Z30 now over the Leap. I know that it's probably stupidity to go for a dying OS (BB doesn't have plans further than the expected 10.3 update Q1 2016, right?), but I love the BB 10 OS and had originally held off due to app compatibility and now that most Android apps can be installed without much of a hassle... i want to get on it. Plus the fact that I can probably find a slightly used Z30 for around $150 easy in the market here...
    I think there are 2 planned updates for BB10 on the roadmap. But likely mostly maintenance updates which is fine IMO because the OS is fairly mature and stable. I'd be in the same boat as you because I just love BB10. I'm not ready to give up its unique gestures just yet. There are obvious benefits to the Priv as well but if you find you won't need those benefits then grabbing a Z30 or Leap makes sense. As a very happy Z30 owner I highly recommend it.
    msalmank likes this.
    11-06-15 01:26 PM
    Priv

Sent from my Passport
    11-06-15 01:26 PM
    Go with the Blackberry Z30.
    11-06-15 02:22 PM
    Z30

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 05:58 PM
    11-06-15 06:37 PM
    My recommendation is to buy a BlackBerry Priv instead of a BlackBerry Leap. The Priv is a superior device in terms of hardware and surprisingly BlackBerry |as done a very good job with BlackBerry Android. There are a few rough edges but nothing BlackBerry cannot fix with future updates of BlackBerry Android.

Visit a wireless carrier and the experience it for yourself. The slider is better than the slab as far as these two smartphones go in a thin form-factor.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Last edited by qwerty4ever; 11-07-15 at 05:05 AM.
    11-06-15 08:17 PM
    Priv

*C5303
    11-06-15 08:27 PM
    Read the post on secruity on the Priv.. Get a Leap or get a generic droid for half the price.
    11-07-15 07:13 AM
    BBRY Leap. Costs cheaper and runs a Much better mobile OS and is A Lot more secure.

Rocking a Z30
    11-07-15 08:34 AM
    My 13 year old son was interested in the Priv and we were going to consider it for him when the price drops a little. But he kept asking me is it would have a lot of the OS10 features that he likes on his Z10. We have an Android tablet that he uses for games etc and he is not too keen on the Lollipop experience. Long story short, he looked at the Leap and it should arrive soon from ShopBlackberry. Only $199. We don't like the amoled screen and he thought the Z30 was "ugly".

Posted via Classic
    11-07-15 08:42 AM