I have a (GSM/UMTS) BlackBerry that I use with pre-paid. To connect to the internet, I configure the APN and use TCP/IP to connect with an Opera browser. I can surf/browse web pages fine, but I can't download any files (ex: download an app OTA). Then it only invokes the BB browser. Why is that? Do downloads have to go thru a BIS/BES server only?
    03-10-10 08:04 AM
    yes all downloads require a BIS/BES plan.

If you do not have one, can NOT download squat OTA.
    Last edited by mjneid; 03-10-10 at 08:13 AM.
    03-10-10 08:10 AM
    Thanks. That sucks. Strange then why is TCP/IP allowed? When I am browsing in my Opera browser, and viewing images on websites, I am actually "downloading" the picture, otherwise it wouldn't appear in my browser. So I still don't quite get it.

...and why is that? Why can't a BlackBerry be used as a "normal" phone and just do all internet connections with "normal" TCP/IP instead of being forced to use the BB browser? Because RIM wants you to subscribe and pay for a monthly BB plan?
    03-10-10 08:14 AM
    RIM runs all downloads through their servers to scan for viruses and other mal-ware that can harm your phone and possibly infect other electronic items that you connect to.

And as far as the TCP/IP settings, some carriers support multiple TCP/IP settings like i know t-mobile has at least 2 of them [epc.tmobile.com] and [wap.voicestream.com] and they will connect to two different servers and will give you two different speeds, depending on popularity.

And RIM is the most secure phone when it come to BES settings, and with all of the push goodies, yes basically.. .. .. to take full advantage of Blackberries "smart phone" capabilities you need to have a BIS/BES plan.
    03-10-10 08:20 AM
    ...and why is that? Why can't a BlackBerry be used as a "normal" phone and just do all internet connections with "normal" TCP/IP instead of being forced to use the BB browser? Because RIM wants you to subscribe and pay for a monthly BB plan?
    Because it's a BlackBerry and that's how they work.

It may not be the right device for all users.
    03-10-10 11:22 AM
    I have a (GSM/UMTS) BlackBerry that I use with pre-paid. To connect to the internet, I configure the APN and use TCP/IP to connect with an Opera browser. I can surf/browse web pages fine, but I can't download any files (ex: download an app OTA). Then it only invokes the BB browser. Why is that? Do downloads have to go thru a BIS/BES server only?
    Not only through BIS but also via Wifi ! I'm in the same situation and have to find workarounds, because it is way too expensive in Belgium so i have no choice for the moment ! but that's good ! I use Gmail, Nimbuzz, Snaptu, Viigo, Opera Mini, ... All of these work with tcp too the only pb is when i need to DL something, i need Wifi, otherwise it's ok !

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-10 04:43 PM
    RIM runs all downloads through their servers to scan for viruses and other mal-ware that can harm your phone and possibly infect other electronic items that you connect to..
    Yet they allow installing COD/ALX files via Desktop manager, so you can install apps which RIM can not check for mal-ware/viruses... and they allow for TCP/IP via APN, as well as wifi, so they are letting you surf without going thru a BIS/BES server. ...so if they really want to "lock it down" they should remove TCP/IP, wifi, and ALX loaders. So I am surfing and installing apps without ever going thru a BIS/BES. I don't understand why they "protect" you only half of the way

Because it's a BlackBerry and that's how they work.

It may not be the right device for all users.
    I like the device and the OS. I also like my freedom to use my device how I want (since I paid hundreds of $$'s for it). If I wanted a locked-down device I'd be on an Apple forum right now
    03-11-10 01:24 PM
    It's not "locked down". It just doesn't work like that. Whether you spent a million dollars or not.
    03-11-10 04:52 PM
    Yet they allow installing COD/ALX files via Desktop manager, so you can install apps which RIM can not check for mal-ware/viruses... and they allow for TCP/IP via APN, as well as wifi, so they are letting you surf without going thru a BIS/BES server. ...so if they really want to "lock it down" they should remove TCP/IP, wifi, and ALX loaders. So I am surfing and installing apps without ever going thru a BIS/BES. I don't understand why they "protect" you only half of the way
    Wouldn't the Desktop Manager software (made by RIM) be able to do the same thing locally?
    03-11-10 06:40 PM
    It's not "locked down". It just doesn't work like that. Whether you spent a million dollars or not.
    Ok, let's call it a "restriction" ...when I look at all my other phones, I can use the browser unconditionally. For example, the first thing I usually do when I get a new phone is point the browser to m.google.com and download Gmail and Gmaps. Never had a problem doing that before. But when I do that on my new BB it invokes the BB browser, which I can't use because I'm not paying a monthly fee to use it .

...so even tho I really like the RIM OS and hardware, next time I'm looking for a new phone and go in the store with my few hundred $$'s (probably not a million ), I'm going to keep in mind that the BB browser has restrictions that almost none of the other phones have ...if it "just doesn't work like that", or because it's "locked down" or because it's "protecting me from malware and viruses" is just semantics... I'm looking only for functionality.

So yea, maybe you're right, that the "BB isn't for everyone". I'm eyeing Android alot more lately. Especially since Motorola has been making alot of Android devices. I like the open-ness about it. I'm sure RIM would have liked to have had me purchace one of their deivces next time, but given their browser restrictions "it just doesn't work like that"
    03-12-10 01:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD