I don't really see how Blackberry could differentiate themselves. Sure they may get some initial enthusiasm for the keyboard and maybe Hub or something, but once the other manufacturers catch on they will have copied those features and launch their own clones within a year. Blackberry would maybe have a couple months on the market before they get shoved aside by devices that have copied all of the selling points of the Blackberry.

Because what really would be the selling point of an Android running Blackberry?

1. Build quality: The Samsung Galaxy line proves that not very many people give a **** about that.
    2. Physical keyboard: If manufacturers see Blackberry having success with a slider they will jump back on the wagon with competitive models
    3. Hub: If Hub can be ported to Android and function properly (which I doubt), It would shortly be copied by Google and made available to all devices.
    4. BBM: Already available
    5. Security alterations: may be fairly difficult to implement on Android (or be indistinguishable from Samsung's stuff), and would seriously cause Blackberry to lag behind whenever a new OS is released. Also the general consumer won't really care.
    6. Any other applications: Every Android manufacturer tries to make killer apps exclusive to their devices, all fail. Plus if it is actually good it will be quickly pirated.

Overall I expect that best case scenario Blackberry would be competitive for a year then will be permanently stuck in the rat race with all of the other manufacturers losing money. Plus Blackberry still has it's stigma which may make it DOA as an Android manufacturer.

That being said: In the unlikely case that Blackberry switches to Android I will continue to use my Z30 with BB10 as long as possible, then switch to Windows Phone. I have no interest in the limitations of iOS or the inconsistencies of Android.
    06-15-15 10:09 AM
    Could be the initial startup of the hardware gives the owner the option of running BB10 or Android OS. I've seen other OSs run on various laptops and PCs, so why not smartphones?
    06-15-15 10:18 AM
    Blackberry has no reason to switch to android

Posted via CB10
    06-15-15 10:22 AM
    Your first sentence is correct: it's crystal clear.

The second sentence is completely backwards. BB10's Android Runtime is considered to be an Android fork, and thus not in compliance with the OHA or able to be certified by Google. Android forks, dual-boot devices, or virtualized Android instances (aka the hypervisor) are all, by definition, a violation of the OHA.

The only way to get Google Services is to run Google-Certified Android (and ONLY Android) on the device, and to abide by OHA rules, which state that, while the manufacturer may make phones with other OSs, those OSs cannot be or have forks of Android. So, if BB wants Google Services, it means becoming OHA members, running full Android, pre-loading Google apps, and either discontinuing BB10 entirely or removing the Android Runtime from BB10.

As you say, there is no conceivable reason Google is going to break the OHA rules for BB - the fact that they wouldn't for Samsung, Acer, Asus, etc. tells you that, but when you realize that the OHA is how they control the 200+ members of the OHA with regards to Android, there's no way they're going to risk losing those OEMs, who are selling almost 700M phones annually, in order to gain BB, who is struggling to sell 5M BB10 phones annually.
    Thanks for clarifying this. One note: could BlackBerry negociate to derrogate from that OHA rule given that it will help Android to be more secure somehow? Some special arrangements perhaps with QNX related to the IOT? Does Chen have the resource and assets to strike such a deal or is this complete nonsense?
    06-15-15 10:24 AM
    Thanks for clarifying this. One note: could BlackBerry negociate to derrogate from that OHA rule given that it will help Android to be more secure somehow? Some special arrangements perhaps with QNX related to the IOT? Does Chen have the resource and assets to strike such a deal or is this complete nonsense?
    problably not. No matter the reason, Samsung can use it as prior art to pressure Google into certifying Tizen.
    theone06 likes this.
    06-15-15 10:41 AM
    Android is the fat ok looking guy with good family, money, good job, career connections, no baggage but with a minor addiction problem.

BB10 is the hot dude with a good education , workout in the gym 3 times per week. Struggling for a job, has no cash and women have no clue he even exist.

Posted via CB10
    The perfect BlackBerry 10 guy have everything but lacks networking and business management skills to grab a high paying corporate job and climb or create a ladder to be successful

Sent from Passport
    06-15-15 10:53 AM
    Your first sentence is correct: it's crystal clear.

The second sentence is completely backwards. BB10's Android Runtime is considered to be an Android fork, and thus not in compliance with the OHA or able to be certified by Google. Android forks, dual-boot devices, or virtualized Android instances (aka the hypervisor) are all, by definition, a violation of the OHA.

The only way to get Google Services is to run Google-Certified Android (and ONLY Android) on the device, and to abide by OHA rules, which state that, while the manufacturer may make phones with other OSs, those OSs cannot be or have forks of Android. So, if BB wants Google Services, it means becoming OHA members, running full Android, pre-loading Google apps, and either discontinuing BB10 entirely or removing the Android Runtime from BB10.

As you say, there is no conceivable reason Google is going to break the OHA rules for BB - the fact that they wouldn't for Samsung, Acer, Asus, etc. tells you that, but when you realize that the OHA is how they control the 200+ members of the OHA with regards to Android, there's no way they're going to risk losing those OEMs, who are selling almost 700M phones annually, in order to gain BB, who is struggling to sell 5M BB10 phones annually.
    While I agree with your insightful knowledge of Google works BlackBerry did help secure knoxs and Google that is something huge and nothing to play around with as this can boost Google's lead over ios. They way things are going I may suspect this phone will be an enterprise oriented phone. Because as you know look at all the major works with android but also it could be in the slider also but that's an assumption because of the dual screen. And lastly to me I think it would have been better if blackberry had help work with tizen and use that as our andriod runtime, with all the resource samsung has I'm sure they could get tons of apps over a small period of time.

Send from the amazing powers of the  Z30
    06-15-15 12:00 PM
    And also if samsung could have tizen and Google how can BlackBerry not have BlackBerry 10 and android

06-15-15 12:01 PM
    And also if samsung could have tizen and Google how can BlackBerry not have BlackBerry 10 and android

Agreed. But does Tizen have google services and access to play store?
    06-15-15 12:39 PM
    And I am not sure about what are the advantages of BB10 email, because in the office where I work when a group mail is sent every phone (both iphones and Androids) receive it withing 10 seconds of each other.
    Email delivery performance is pretty much at the same level now from iPhone and Android.

The advantage of BlackBerry HUB comes from the UI and the system integration. There are tons of features in HUB are put together by design, instead of simply pieced together. You have to use it to appreciate it.

Like how they put the most used buttons at the bottom of the screen, like how the frequent contacts automatically appears for you to select as receiver, etc etc. You may be able to find some apps on iOS or Android have a subset of features pieced together, but you won't find one at the same level as HUB. Not even close IMO.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.680
    06-15-15 01:27 PM
    Like how they put the most used buttons at the bottom of the screen, like how the frequent contacts automatically appears for you to select as receiver, etc etc. You may be able to find some apps on iOS or Android have a subset of features pieced together, but you won't find one at the same level as HUB. Not even close
    This sounds like software to me - based on user preference. You can get any mobile OS to do this.
    06-15-15 01:33 PM
    This sounds like software to me - based on user preference. You can get any mobile OS to do this.
    You made software design sounded like easy... until you get someone starts doing it. Then it becomes risky and expensive.

06-15-15 01:47 PM

BBRY could have both.. they'd just have to remove the android runtime from BBRY...
    06-15-15 01:47 PM
    Tizen doesn't ship with any Android code, and cannot run Android apps. There is an external app that apparently allows some Android apps to work, but there is no Google Services. But that's also why Tizen has shipped on but a single phone and only to one country - and as an entry-level device only. Samsung would love to own and control their own phone OS (hence Tizen), but if their customers won't buy it because they can't get apps, then Samsung gains nothing and would lose billions a year, which is why Samsung continues to ship Android on the vast majority of their phones.

The OHA doesn't stop companies from shipping other OSs (Samsung and HTC also ship Windows Phone as well, for example) - as long as the OS in question contains no non-Google-Certified Android code. If BB removed the Android runtime from BB10, they could produce both OSs simultaneously and have no issues with the OHA. But then you have to ask yourself: who would buy BB10 if only native BB10 apps were available - keeping in mind that a ton of the apps in BB World are Android ports that require the Android Runtime to work? The answer is: not enough to sustain BB10.
    06-15-15 01:56 PM
    You made software design sounded like easy... until you get someone starts doing it. Then it becomes risky and expensive.
    I'm pretty sure the mobile platform contenders in question, Apple, Google, and Microsoft have all the resources they need to duplicate whatever BB10 functionality they need to. They probably employ many of the engineers that built BB10 and left or got laid off.
    06-15-15 10:02 PM
    Tizen is not the leverage linchpin folks think it is. It was a nice move, and as consumer, I'd like to see it flourish, but as-is, Samsung needs Android.

Everything else in this current market is secondary to Android from where Samsung is sitting.

In the end, it's not about Android. It's about Google Play Services.
    Soulstream, m1kr0 and mornhavon like this.
    06-16-15 03:40 AM
    Android is the fat ok looking guy with good family, money, good job, career connections, no baggage but with a minor addiction problem.

BB10 is the hot dude with a good education , workout in the gym 3 times per week. Struggling for a job, has no cash and women have no clue he even exist.

Posted via CB10
    He must send out a few CVs/resumes and get that job. You know what I mean, marketing! :-)

No, not talking about Tinder & Co. ...

�   Pastaporto aglio e olio... Mmmhhh!   �
    06-16-15 03:54 AM

In the end, it's not about Android. It's about Google Play Services.
    Google Play Services? The soon all-encompassing, engulfing Matrix data Kraken...?

:-D

�   Pastaporto aglio e olio... Mmmhhh!   �
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    06-16-15 03:56 AM
    I'm pretty sure the mobile platform contenders in question, Apple, Google, and Microsoft have all the resources they need to duplicate whatever BB10 functionality they need to. They probably employ many of the engineers that built BB10 and left or got laid off.
    Yes, but it doesn't mean they will do it. Having the resource to do things doesn't guarantee right decisions are always made. That's why big companies can fall and small guys can rise.

06-16-15 10:30 PM

Posted via CB10
    I've never met people like that in real life.

The guy had a "good" education but is struggling for a job? Also, he has no cash but goes to the gym all the time? And he works out but is invisible to women? Who is he working out for?

My cash strapped friends don't go out to save money. Gym membership, supplements/special diets, and gas don't come cheap. Also, the reality of the situation is that most attractive individuals coast through life.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 06-17-15 at 12:35 AM.
    06-17-15 12:07 AM
    Just offer BlackBerry Passport Google Play Edition or BlackBerry Classic Google Play Edition through the Play Store.

It'll bring over Android folks who wan't BlackBerry hardware but like Android, and those of us who prefer BB OS10 can stay with it.
    06-17-15 12:23 AM
46 12