Well it's certainly time we begin to consider what many feared and what many others endlessly speculated.
    I for one I'm optimistic in the possibility of a Blackberry powered by Google.

How so?

Well let's go back to what Google has been doing with Android. They have without a doubt achieved hegemony in the global market via both Google Play services and all the remaining neat features its ecosystem provides.
    They have also made millions on manufacturing deals with anyone who supports their platform. For example LG, Samsung etc... etc...
    So then why did Samsung and for that matter Acer both ended up scrapping Tizen and Aliyun aka their own Android Forks?
    Simple and that is because Google would not fork Google play services to them.
    At this point is even lunatic to attempt to.
    So then how come LG (for example) never had an issue with Google and the Android Open Alliance?

Simple because it does not directly competes with it.
    Tizen and Aliyun are pretty much android forks without the Google experience (API) as well as their own app store and a questionable modified (more like pirated) version of Google Play services. That redirected ads, and their revenue towards themselves.

How 'free and open' is Android? Why Google forced Acer to axe a Chinese lookalike | Digital Trends

Now currently BlackBerry does the same with BlackBerry World and Amazon gets in on the deal at some degree. Which leads me to believe that if any tentative Google and Blackberry deal is in the works, it will pretty much mean the demise of BlackBerry World and the pre-installed Amazon Appstore.

So let's think about it for a minute. If BlackBerry was to go full android it would mean it has to join the Android Open Handset alliance create it's full fork and compete directly with Google. Thus becoming unable to use Play services at all.
    Now if this is the case then BlackBerry is done for. Because I'm pretty sure that by now anyone knows that android forks without play services are pretty much dead on arrival. See FirefoxOS, Sailfish OS.

Therefore the possibility of a Hybrid OS as stated by the article.

Exclusive: BlackBerry may put Android system on new device: sources

"TORONTO (Reuters) - BlackBerry (BB.TO) is considering equipping an upcoming smartphone with Google Inc.'s (GOOGL.O) Android software for the first time."

It seems to be crystal clear.
    A Google play services framework fully integrated with BBOS10 doesn't infringe on any Android Open alliance clause as far as I am concerned. Because BlackBerry will be using the closed source Google APIs. Just as it has been using Amazons up until now all under its own ecosystem and not Android AOSP.
    In this manner Google will then keep on making money just as it has with LG and Samsung until this very day. (ads, proprietary fees.)
    While BlackBerry ends up with a perfected Google powered OS.
    Now that gentlemen to me sounds like the perfect OS.

Supporting the people's revolution worldwide via my BBZ30
    yourboi likes this.
    06-13-15 12:08 PM
    While BlackBerry ends up with a perfected Google powered OS.
    Or Android OS with BlackBerry-developed enterprise-oriented apps? It'll be interesting to see whether there are any BlackBerry software features that you can't use on a Samsung. That would seem to go against what John Chen is trying to do in MDM.
    06-13-15 12:20 PM
    Are Firefox OS, Tizen, Sailfish etc. really android forks? I could be wrong but I'd always assumed they were independent OSs. FireFox OS in particular I thought was HTML and JavaScript?
    igor10000 likes this.
    06-13-15 12:27 PM
    Are Firefox OS, Tizen, Sailfish etc. really android forks? I could be wrong but I'd always assumed they were independent OSs. FireFox OS in particular I thought was HTML and JavaScript?
    As far as I know, Firefox is written in HTML5, CSS, JavaScript, C++, Tizen in HTML5, C, C++ and Sailfish uses the Linux kernel with the open source "Mer"-core middle-layer.

All are based on Linux but to call them Android forks like the OP did is widely open to debate. Their only denominator is that they are all Linux based, as is Android.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 12:48 PM
    You're correct. Tizen and Sailfish are not Android forks but they do have Android support (similar to BB10's Android runtime).

Firefox OS has no connection to Android at all.

Maybe the OP was thinking of Amazon's FireOS, which actually is an Android fork.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 12:50 PM
    Leaving aside the fact that the OSes are not Android forks and thus irrelevant to this question - the bigger problem is that there is absolutely no benefit to google to do this - allowing this would be a pitiful revenue stream, led to political isssues and possible legal issues within OHA and at a time when they try to a) strenghten their control and b) expand into Android wear, home, IoT.

Basically it's another non-starter - most of these have the underlying (false) assumption - that BBRY is still some sort of power-player.
    TgeekB and Laura Knotek like this.
    06-13-15 01:22 PM

Because BlackBerry will be using the closed source Google APIs. Just as it has been using Amazons up until now all under its own ecosystem and not Android AOSP.

Supporting the people's revolution worldwide via my BBZ30
    Sorry, sir, that's sounds like an abomination to me.
    Closed source Google SnoOPI? No thanks, but thanks...

:-D

�   Pastaporto aglio e olio... Mmmhhh!   �
    06-13-15 05:08 PM
    It seems to be crystal clear.
    A Google play services framework fully integrated with BBOS10 doesn't infringe on any Android Open alliance clause as far as I am concerned.
    Your first sentence is correct: it's crystal clear.

The second sentence is completely backwards. BB10's Android Runtime is considered to be an Android fork, and thus not in compliance with the OHA or able to be certified by Google. Android forks, dual-boot devices, or virtualized Android instances (aka the hypervisor) are all, by definition, a violation of the OHA.

The only way to get Google Services is to run Google-Certified Android (and ONLY Android) on the device, and to abide by OHA rules, which state that, while the manufacturer may make phones with other OSs, those OSs cannot be or have forks of Android. So, if BB wants Google Services, it means becoming OHA members, running full Android, pre-loading Google apps, and either discontinuing BB10 entirely or removing the Android Runtime from BB10.

As you say, there is no conceivable reason Google is going to break the OHA rules for BB - the fact that they wouldn't for Samsung, Acer, Asus, etc. tells you that, but when you realize that the OHA is how they control the 200+ members of the OHA with regards to Android, there's no way they're going to risk losing those OEMs, who are selling almost 700M phones annually, in order to gain BB, who is struggling to sell 5M BB10 phones annually.
    06-13-15 07:55 PM
    BB 10 OsS is the best period. Android is for kids.

  
    06-14-15 02:47 AM
    Hey look up man! Google powered by BlackBerry! (BES)
    06-14-15 03:33 AM

  
    So majority of smartphone users are kids (at heart).

Posted via C5303
    TgeekB likes this.
    06-14-15 03:49 AM

  
    You can't be serious, most of corporate America is using Android devices for their enterprise sector, so I guess they are all kids too????
    06-14-15 04:27 AM
    You can't be serious, most of corporate America is using Android devices for their enterprise sector, so I guess they are all kids too????
    Android is not better than BB10. It's like saying the allies had better army than Germany in ww2 and that's why they won.

Android is winning not cause is better but cause Google has more to offer with android than BlackBerry does and used better strategy to make it happen (Google services, free android software and now it has the numbers)

Google is not interested in selling phones as Microsoft was not interested in selling computers back in the day. BlackBerry wants to sell phones and has nothing to offer aside from the a bit better OS experience /security that is not relevant to make a different market wise.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-15 12:11 PM
    Android is the fat ok looking guy with good family, money, good job, career connections, no baggage but with a minor addiction problem.

BB10 is the hot dude with a good education , workout in the gym 3 times per week. Struggling for a job, has no cash and women have no clue he even exist.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-15 12:28 PM
    Android is not better than BB10. It's like saying the allies had better army than Germany in ww2 and that's why they won.

Android is winning not cause is better but cause Google has more to offer with android than BlackBerry does and used better strategy to make it happen (Google services, free android software and now it has the numbers)

Google is not interested in selling phones as Microsoft was not interested in selling computers back in the day. BlackBerry wants to sell phones and has nothing to offer aside from the a bit better OS experience /security that is not relevant to make a different market wise.

Posted via CB10
    Are you sure about this analogy?? Lol...you're implying that BB10 represents the Nazi's.

Posted via CB10
    Fidel Mercado likes this.
    06-14-15 01:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    Sorry, but the bar has already been set and the new standard is Android and IOS whether you choose to accept it or not.

I have been using Blackberry devices since their inception, but not listening to what the consumer wanted, a lack of vision and complacency have left them on the outside looking in.

Here in the USA, I have seen the once iconic brand all but disappear from both the consumer and enterprise landscape here.

When I hear Mr Chen talk about focusing on the enterprise sector, I wonder what sector he is talking about because I work in the automotive sector who once was dominated by Blackberry and I have yet to see any of the devices being used at any level????

We need something big to come out of the folks up there in Waterloo to get folks looking at the brand again. I am really afraid the time for that has came and went here in the USA.

Android and IOS are firmly embedded into the culture here and I don't see them slowing down anytime soon. This is NOT spreading negativity, this is REALITY wether you choose to accept it or not and its a dam shame.

I think an Android device skinned with OS10 might be something folks would be willing to try. Just my two cents.
    Last edited by Elite1; 06-14-15 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Merging duplicate posts
    06-14-15 02:03 PM
    All of these BlackBerry going Android rumor is weird but not surprising... BlackBerry 's quarterly report is coming up soon. Some trader needs some action.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.680
    06-14-15 02:34 PM
    I hope the BB10 OS gets better and better, and BlackBerry lives on.

  
    06-14-15 07:02 PM
    Why not android with Hub & emailing of BBOS 10? This would be the best possible combination to win confidence of users in US again. I am sure users have apprehensions about security in android but no choice to shift, at this moment, if BB brings above combination, it would be surely winning one.
    06-15-15 06:32 AM
    Blackberry will start manufacturing phones with Android. its not if...but when.

Not Fours Years But A Lifetime
    06-15-15 07:21 AM
    Why not android with Hub & emailing of BBOS 10? This would be the best possible combination to win confidence of users in US again. I am sure users have apprehensions about security in android but no choice to shift, at this moment, if BB brings above combination, it would be surely winning one.
    I am not exactly sure how BB could implement the hub in Android to make it do the same as in BB10; I am afraid that their implementation will be some glorified notifications center. And I am not sure about what are the advantages of BB10 email, because in the office where I work when a group mail is sent every phone (both iphones and Androids) receive it withing 10 seconds of each other.
    06-15-15 07:40 AM
    I really doubt most of corporate America is using Android. I would love to see where you get your numbers.
    06-15-15 08:49 AM
    wonder what is happening with Snap v3 beta....

06-15-15 08:59 AM
    wonder what is happening with Snap v3 beta....

Probably nothing. It is an unofficial way to get APKs and is in no way supported by BB as a company.
    06-15-15 09:24 AM
    I will never ever use a BlackBerry with an Android core OS. If at some point no BlackBerry device is powered by BlackBerry 10, I will make the switch to iOS.

For sure.
    06-15-15 09:31 AM
46 12