06-06-14 01:23 AM
183 12345 ...
tools
    Yes again. How much market would you think BB get if they made Android OS phone? At least right now BB10 is different. Why would I choose a BBRY Android over Samsung or HTC with better HW? I am trying to see what benefit this would do for BBRY like Dave Borque. There is NONE.
    The benefit of losing the secure OS argument and the rest of their customer base.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    05-30-14 02:32 PM
    The benefit of losing the secure OS argument and the rest of their customer base.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    Honestly there's no way I'm sticking with BlackBerry if they go android. It will take them a long time (just like it too bb10 2 years to grow) to match up to the android giants... the thing though is that...
    With bb10, it's different at maturity.

With android, they'd be playing catchup to look exactly alike. Why would I invest in that. I made up my mind that if BlackBerry folds which I doubt I'm going with htc. If they go android I'm either going with htc or back to ios

Posted via CB10
    05-30-14 02:38 PM
    If people get their way Android will have a monopoly... what a great future. competition is what drives progress.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    It's not that consumers don't want "competition". Blackberry isn't "competitive". Blaming rather than addressing the consumer will not solve Blackberry's problems.

The smartphone space is frequently cited as one of the most "competitive" markets. While companies like Google are working on wearables and Microsoft is playing catch up with voice controls/assistants, Blackberry is working on a cross platform messaging app that is basically 5+ year old technology. This illustrates how Blackberry is struggling to keep up in the fast paced smartphone market.
    Witmen, JeepBB and mornhavon like this.
    05-30-14 02:43 PM
    It's not that consumers don't want "competition". Blackberry isn't "competitive". Blaming rather than addressing the consumer will not solve Blackberry's problems.

The smartphone space is frequently cited as one of the most "competitive" markets. While companies like Google are working on wearables and Microsoft is playing catch up with voice controls/assistants, Blackberry is working on a cross platform messaging app that is basically 5+ year old technology. This illustrates how Blackberry is struggling to keep up in the fast paced smartphone market.
    You act like BBM is the only thing they are working on... software also evolves and BBM that we see now is new not the same BBM we used to have on BBOS.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    05-30-14 03:02 PM
    BB should coninue to 2 track it.

BB10 phones with Android emulation , both working better and better.
    I am seeing more BB10 phones gradually. iPhones are expensive and many want nothing to do with them. The generic experience of Android phones is a serious problem for phone vendors. Android phones are a commdooty and people pften don;t even remember what brand they own.

BB phones are differnt and that will ebcome a selling point again. Will BB ever dominate the smartphpone market again ... not likely. Is that necessary for success ... not at all. Total smartphone sales are almost 1 billion in 2013. 1% is 10 million and any company should be able to make money selling 10 M units, or even 5M. (Samsung had 300M, Apple 150M)

This is a low hurdle and would be difficult to not meet ... means 10-20M users at any one time. There are many more than that still although most are legacy.

The tools not toys people are still out there and a solid comm tool is what many want.

and

MDM managing all phones with a secure BB supplied workspace and apps to give the secure enterprise experience that won't be bettered.

Lots of BYOD doesn;t work well, is not secure and very expensive for employers. Gradually the end top end solution will prevail in enough places.

but the big probs with misiunformation, people still surprised BB makes touch phones and the people who hated being foprced to use BB phones is still out there.

Also vendors are pissed off by a not ready for prime time phone being released and the huge number of returns.

To see some good news.... on Ebay and Amazon the prices for all the BB10 phones are holding.
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    05-30-14 03:10 PM
    I think most people that wanted an android got one of the hundreds already on the market.
    But there is no Blackberry Android device or better yet Blackberry Android with qwerty keyboard. I bet there is demand for it. The only way for Blackberry to change its image is if it associates itself with something already quite successful and I think coming up with an Android device might give some folks a reason to look at Blackberry again. May be, in long run, it can even help in getting people back to BB10 OS. I think Microsoft is trying something similar with Nokia X.
    Witmen likes this.
    05-30-14 03:29 PM
    Maybe they could have a android apk to download on the blackberry website as a option to download,but not be included on the phone directly?So it won't interrupt with the security on the phone.Which is why I like blackberry.
    05-30-14 03:38 PM
    There's no way to make money out of Android devices today.
    Unless you are Samsung (that can really crank out ten millions galaxys in few weeks).

So there's no point in this BlackBerry powered by Android thread, that I must say, sounds something like Secure but not secure phone...
    This is totally wrong. The reason most companies are having tough time making money is because of their supply chain issues or operating efficiency issues. HTC sells way more devices than Blackberry and had almost 9% market share in the states in 2013 but still lost money. HTC still has much better chance of success than Blackberry. With ecosystem on your side, your success is only one hit away. That's not the case with Blackberry with BB10.
    Think about it for a moment. How much money does a company spend in building and supporting an OS and in case of Blackberry it is is also supporting Android runtime. I think if Blackberry is focused on creating software on top of Android i.e. BBM, BES etc, it will have much better chance of success with hardware and software. Blackberry just can't compete with Google in creating the kind of services it has in its ecosystems.
    JeepBB and mornhavon like this.
    05-30-14 03:42 PM
    It won't happen. The moment they adopt Android, they will lose their enterprise customers who value security.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    LuvULongTime and lift like this.
    05-30-14 03:50 PM
    Perhaps development costs would be lower if they will not build and maintain their own OS, offering instead a "security layer" of some sort on top of stock Android - but this is debatable (you obviously have more controll when you build "the whole widget", and more controll could very well mean fewer bugs and a better security architecture).[/URL]
    Even if it is a forked build of Android if there was ever a security breach on one of the "BB Android" devices then headlines would conveniently leave out the fact that it was an Android based handset. The biggest risk to BB is they would risk damaging the most untarnished aspect of their brand, security.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    05-30-14 04:03 PM
    It looks as if this transition is happening slowly with blackberry slowly giving us android to break us into it. Firs the ability to run android apps. Now 10.3 will have a dedicated hone screen which is completely empty if no active frames are open. I wouldn't be surprised if blackberry selectively made a few widgets. Say a search bar for the home screen instead of having to click the magnifying glass etc. That kind of stuff.

Chen wouldn't have said he wouldn't comment on android phones if they had no plans to do it.. he might have just said no...

Posted via CB10
    05-30-14 04:07 PM
    Even if it is a forked build of Android if there was ever a security breach on one of the "BB Android" devices then headlines would conveniently leave out the fact that it was an Android based handset. The biggest risk to BB is they would risk damaging the most untarnished aspect of their brand, security.
    Amen!

BlackBerry needs to keep that there security reputation alive. Cause it has done wonders for them up until this point hasn't it?

The security argument is such a joke. Look, BlackBerry has always had great security. That fact certainly didn't change the fact that they went from dominating the smartphone market, to where they are now. It don't change the fact that people still abandon BlackBerry for iOS or Android all the time. IT certainly doesn't change the fact that most companies have moved away from BlackBerry.

Sure seems like the overwhelming vast majority of smartphone users honestly couldn't careless about BlackBerry's security reputation. If they did, wouldn't we see more people buying one of their phones?

Besides, BlackBerry could always put BB10 out of its misery and then keep the legacy OS going for enterprise and the less than 1% of Earth's population that actually cares about BlackBerry's security reputation.

Insecure Android devices for consumers and secure BlackBerry legacy devices for enterprise might work out a whole lot better than the current arrangement does.
    05-30-14 04:53 PM
    I actually don't think enterprise will tolerate legacy BB for too much longer. Users will just breakthem to get away.

I loved my Torch. My wife has a bold 9900 which she really likes ...... but .... the phone locks up all the time, she misses business calls due to java lock-ups .. $$$ , not fixable, not tolerable and not acceptable for a business tool. Her contrart is soon up and she really is thinking about going over to the dark side ... her work claims the iApps work well and the BB App trouble.

But the main reason she is thinking of leaving BB is she doesn't trust her phone anymore and it has truly cost her business. She knows I prefer BB and I am her tech consultant but we may loose another to frustration with LEGACY OS!!
    05-30-14 05:18 PM
    I think we will see blackberries powered by Android for the consumer market and bb10 for enterprise where apps don't matter and security does.

Honestly, I'm OK with that. I'm tired of android apps that I want nor working and there being little chance the apps will be on BlackBerry World anytime soon.

Of course if they can get google services there is no need for an android BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-14 05:37 PM
    I think we will see blackberries powered by Android for the consumer market and bb10 for enterprise where apps don't matter and security does.

Honestly, I'm OK with that. I'm tired of android apps that I want nor working and there being little chance the apps will be on BlackBerry World anytime soon.

Of course if they can get google services there is no need for an android BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly, Blackberry needs to sign some kind of deal with Google. Have all apps available (including Android apps) in the app store. Android apps should display clearly that they are android apps, not native. Have revenue sharing with Google on those apps.
    05-30-14 06:40 PM
    Imagine Q10 powered by android, enhanced (on security) by BBRY. Surely for the mass android market, not like us. BBRY continue doing what they are doing now, only few models (existing) run on Android. Hence the overall cost will be minimal and at the time can reach huge potential market

Posted via CB10
    NotGoodIMO likes this.
    05-30-14 07:26 PM
    Lots of people use android, i don't think they are lacking anywhere in security. watch the recent JC video
    'so other people don't have security?'
    'they do, they do, but we have security as a strong point'-not exact words. watch it.
    You need usability and app support as well. Sure android works, but you know how well it works
    you cannot go down your street and claim to be superior just because you have more locks at your main door.
    people won't pay attention, because they have their locks, which are working just fine to keep their houses safe.
    relate.
    What are you, some kind of android fanboy? Android is so insecure it's a joke. Just about any android device can be rooted. How are these devices rooted you ask? Through security holes! Some companies are switching from BlackBerry to iphones. It sucks, I know. But any smart company would not switch to android.
    Alvin Loh likes this.
    05-30-14 09:29 PM
    A BB Android smartphone... hmmm.... can just see the stock tanking right after the announcement.... why... because sentiment would be that BB is desperate and will try anything to survive... a definate no win for BB..... BB would be adrift in the sea of Android devices with nothing to destinguish it from the others... save an already bad reputation... lest we not forget ... they are after all going out of business,,,,
    lift likes this.
    05-30-14 09:33 PM
    What about Android powered by BlackBerry? It would improve the Android experience by adding a real security aspect.
    05-30-14 09:39 PM
    have her move over to a Q10. I have a Z110 and it NEVER locks up. It could not be more reliable.
    05-30-14 09:43 PM
    Notifications do go straight to the hub. I get them all the time for clash of clans. are there some apps that don't seem to do notifications?

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    Instagram notifications don't appear on the hub. Will test out other apps too

Posted via CB10
    05-30-14 10:09 PM
    What about a combination of Android and BB10?an Android device that benefits from BB10 security, BB10 gestures, and BB10 Hub? Sounds cool.. just like what Nokia did with their X devices...
    05-31-14 02:41 AM
    What about a combination of Android and BB10?an Android device that benefits from BB10 security, BB10 gestures, and BB10 Hub? Sounds cool.. just like what Nokia did with their X devices...

You can't. The security issues on Android steam from its kernel, you can put a thousand layers of "security" and it will be as insecure as any other Android phone. The open nature of the kernel is its mayor strength and weakness.
    Last edited by FRG_RC; 05-31-14 at 06:36 PM.
    05-31-14 09:33 AM
    There's absolutely nothing to gain by going Android on a BlackBerry, if that's the case you just as well call it something else. The runtime is there and there to be improved. 10.3 Runtime is pretty damn good in my opinion. BB10 is definitely getting there for a little over a year old.

BlackBerry is still unique to the market running on it's on OS, as is Apple. Why make it 'just another device powered by Android' BlackBerry don't need to branch out to other platforms. Sure they are not making money at the moment but then neither are HTC and probably others, that's the perils of just being in the Mobile Phone market.

Samsung
    Sony
    LG

to name a few all have subsidiaries which in turn allows them to throw what ever they like at the mobile market, others don't have that luxury. Apple, Microsoft and Google have a market stronghold which wont be broken anytime soon and they make a lot of money out of licensing and sales amongst others.
    05-31-14 03:50 PM
    I won't be buying any device powered by Android thanks, if BlackBerry goes that route it's bye bye time.

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    05-31-14 06:28 PM
183 12345 ...