Yes, sound weird. But thats the assumption of the industry from an interview with John Chen recently. When asked about the possibilty of bb producing hp for an android os, he said 'no comment', rather than says NO.
    By why? Because android huge market? That maybe will help saving BB? For bb loyalist around the globe like me, its a sad thing to happen to bb. Indirectly we give up on bb.
    Why not persuade big manufactirer/brands like LG, Sony or even Lenovo or HTC to run on BB10? Yes, its not easy to have control on the whole ecosystem, Google knows that. Even Microsoft thru Motorola and Nokia..
    What do you guys think?

Posted via CB10
    05-30-14 07:25 AM
    *Android

Posted via CB10
    05-30-14 07:25 AM
    Won't happen especially after Samsung announcing they will drop android for Tizen. The other day there was a sailfish OS fanboy defending the honor of it and arguing how it was supposedly a thousand times better than blackberry over compatibility with android apps. Well Tizen as well as Firefox OS are exactly the same but are expected to drop Google proprietary restrictions and fees thus saving Samsung and open source developers millions. That being said I doubt blackberry will ever make the jump to a android but maybe one day be tempted to develop a direct linux variant with full android compatibility. BB 10 as it stands is already leaning that way but we shall see. Also this has been extensively discussed in the past do a quick search in the forums comrade.

http://mobile.theverge.com/2014/2/22...2-smartwatches

Posted via z30 STA100-5 the only high end business device on the market
    05-30-14 08:40 AM
    I agree completely with the OP, "Blackberry powered by Andoid" does indeed sound weird.

But honestly, I hope BlackBerry tries Android atleast once.

Say what you will about the cons of using Android, but could a Android powered device from BlackBerry sell any worse than BB10 has? BB10 is a commercial failure, yet most people here are OK with BlackBerry trying more BB10 devices. We really don't know how a BB device powered by Android would sell yet, but we all know how poorly BB10 has sold. So why not try Android?

If there is money on the table, they should at least try to grab some of it.
    sentimentGX4 and NotGoodIMO like this.
    05-30-14 08:57 AM
    John is a business man through and through. Never say never. Don't paint yourself into a corner. Don't give the BlackBerry haters ammo.

Posted via CB10
    anon2100101 likes this.
    05-30-14 08:58 AM
    Android powered by Blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    gebco likes this.
    05-30-14 08:59 AM
    I agree completely with the OP, "Blackberry powered by Andoid" does indeed sound weird.

But honestly, I hope BlackBerry tries Android atleast once.

Say what you will about the cons of using Android, but could a Android powered device from BlackBerry sell any worse than BB10 has? BB10 is a commercial failure, yet most people here are OK with BlackBerry trying more BB10 devices. We really don't know how a BB device powered by Android would sell yet, but we all know how poorly BB10 has sold. So why not try Android?

If there is money on the table, they should at least try to grab some of it.
    I think most people that wanted an android got one of the hundreds already on the market.
    05-30-14 09:06 AM
    I think most people that wanted an android got one of the hundreds already on the market.
    Good point, people buy Android devices at a crazy rate already. Knowing that, it is a bit strange that every single Android manufacture that I can think of manages to outsell BlackBerry legacy OS devices quarter after quarter. Kinda crazy that BB10 can't accomplish what all Android OEMs can. Even though the Android OEMs have so much competition already.

Never know, a BlackBerry that runs Android might outsell OS7 devices. Wouldn't that be a step in the right direction?
    sentimentGX4 and neoberry99 like this.
    05-30-14 09:12 AM
    Good point, people buy Android devices at a crazy rate already. Knowing that, it is a bit strange that every single Android manufacture that I can think of manages to outsell BlackBerry legacy OS devices quarter after quarter. Kinda crazy that BB10 can't accomplish what all Android OEMs can. Even though the Android OEMs have so much competition already.

Never know, a BlackBerry that runs Android might outsell OS7 devices. Wouldn't that be a step in the right direction?
    For bb, yes. For bb fans that have stuck with them, no.
    Aybesea likes this.
    05-30-14 09:56 AM
    Samsung- touchwiz NAY!
    HTC- sense YAY!
    moto-stock YAY!
    nexus- stock YAY!
    LG- don't know NAY!
    Blackberry- ??? i want it to be YAY!
    I'd love to see a QWERTY Android from Blackberry
    05-30-14 10:05 AM
    Won't happen especially after Samsung announcing they will drop android for Tizen. The other day there was a sailfish OS fanboy defending the honor of it and arguing how it was supposedly a thousand times better than blackberry over compatibility with android apps. Well Tizen as well as Firefox OS are exactly the same but are expected to drop Google proprietary restrictions and fees thus saving Samsung and open source developers millions. That being said I doubt blackberry will ever make the jump to a android but maybe one day be tempted to develop a direct linux variant with full android compatibility. BB 10 as it stands is already leaning that way but we shall see. Also this has been extensively discussed in the past do a quick search in the forums comrade.

Samsung drops Android for Tizen in new Gear 2 smartwatches | The Verge

Posted via z30 STA100-5 the only high end business device on the market
    What in the world are you talking about? Google charges nothing for their software. Saving developers in fees?? Developers sale their apps for free and get their money from the ads in their apps. Google gets a percentage just like any storefront attached to an OS. And proprietary restrictions?? What?! Everybody on the planet knows how much Samsung tweaks Android OS. Samsung didnt drop Android what so ever... They've just signed a 10 year cross licensing agreement back in January.

Google and Samsung also didn't specify whether the scope of the deal was limited to Android, which currently powers about four of every five smartphones sold globally.

The companies said the agreement clears the way for deeper collaboration between them on the research and development of current and future products.
    05-30-14 10:05 AM
    There's no way to make money out of Android devices today.
    Unless you are Samsung (that can really crank out ten millions galaxys in few weeks).

So there's no point in this BlackBerry powered by Android thread, that I must say, sounds something like Secure but not secure phone...
    05-30-14 11:27 AM
    If Blackberry becomes an android platform , my love for blackberry will end for good
    Aybesea, Bowlegz, lift and 7 others like this.
    05-30-14 11:36 AM
    There's no way to make money out of Android devices today.
    Unless you are Samsung (that can really crank out ten millions galaxys in few weeks).

So there's no point in this BlackBerry powered by Android thread, that I must say, sounds something like Secure but not secure phone...
    disssagree.
    the truth is, alot of people i know don't like samsung, because of their touchwiz and ~nil updates. They never update their phones, and unless there's a good developer support, you'll be stuck with touchwiz.
    And who says Android=Samsung?
    I hope you are aware of HTC, Motorola, etc.
    And motorola is actually minting alot from their superb phones.
    And i hope blackberry releases atleast one, low range android device - forked if possible. Atleast Blackberry will know what people actually want- BB10 or Android.
    People want Blackberry because it's blackberry, and if there are 'optimized' android apps, then nothing can beat it. It'll be like 2007-8 all over again!
    i hope i'm not wrong.
    05-30-14 11:36 AM
    disssagree.
    the truth is, alot of people i know don't like samsung, because of their touchwiz and ~nil updates. They never update their phones, and unless there's a good developer support, you'll be stuck with touchwiz.
    And who says Android=Samsung?
    I hope you are aware of HTC, Motorola, etc.
    And motorola is actually minting alot from their superb phones.
    And i hope blackberry releases atleast one, low range android device - forked if possible. Atleast Blackberry will know what people actually want- BB10 or Android.
    People want Blackberry because it's blackberry, and if there are 'optimized' android apps, then nothing can beat it. It'll be like 2007-8 all over again!
    i hope i'm not wrong.
    I think most choose bb because it isn't an android.
    05-30-14 11:47 AM
    I think most choose bb because it isn't an android.
    till date, i've bought numerous phones, out of which three were Blackberries-since 2008. Honestly, i came back to Blackberry again and again because it was sweet, compact and convenient, unlike present ones, which completely look like 4"-5" iphones and androids.
    I'm not a fanboy or anything, but i've owned phone of every platform except iOS(too expensive for me). Every OS has something special/different about it, especially Blackberry's, but its hardware keys were the real deal. And Android is convenient, cheap and reliable-too easy to use and versatile.
    I will not mind if they release a cross in between Android OS and BB keyboard. (no, i'm not talking about that chinese ripoff )
    i guess it'll sell more
    05-30-14 11:58 AM
    i hope i'm not wrong.
    You are wrong. If BlackBerry had done it 2+ years ago then it might have worked, but they would have gained consumer market share at the expense of corporate market share. The end result would have been BlackBerry positioning itself as another Android also-ran. You can all but guarantee that the physical keyboard models would have disappeared almost immediately. If you don't believe that, I suggest you look up how many Android phones with keyboards were released in the last year.
    05-30-14 12:09 PM
    What part of android do people like ?? Because a BlackBerry Android will not and cannot be rooted... even then it isn't as secure as the QNX BlackBerry 10 OS. So should they go full Android to please the misinformed consumer and risk destroying their security reputation ? Or continue with BlackBerry 10 and improve the android runtime ? They don't need it and people need to realize that android is rated poorly in the security industry...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    05-30-14 12:21 PM
    You are wrong. If BlackBerry had done it 2+ years ago then it might have worked, but they would have gained consumer market share at the expense of corporate market share. The end result would have been BlackBerry positioning itself as another Android also-ran. You can all but guarantee that the physical keyboard models would have disappeared almost immediately. If you don't believe that, I suggest you look up how many Android phones with keyboards were released in the last year.
    Might have worked and it would of destroyed their security reputation. Win some lose some....

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    05-30-14 12:23 PM
    What part of android do people like ?? Because a BlackBerry Android will not and cannot be rooted... even then it isn't as secure as the QNX BlackBerry 10 OS. So should they go full Android to please the misinformed consumer and risk destroying their security reputation ? Or continue with BlackBerry 10 and improve the android runtime ? They don't need it and people need to realize that android is rated poorly in the security industry...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    Lots of people use android, i don't think they are lacking anywhere in security. watch the recent JC video
    'so other people don't have security?'
    'they do, they do, but we have security as a strong point'-not exact words. watch it.
    You need usability and app support as well. Sure android works, but you know how well it works
    you cannot go down your street and claim to be superior just because you have more locks at your main door.
    people won't pay attention, because they have their locks, which are working just fine to keep their houses safe.
    relate.
    05-30-14 12:41 PM
    You are wrong. If BlackBerry had done it 2+ years ago then it might have worked
    better late than never.
    Also, corporate market has already shifted to iphones and androids, either way, this happened.
    guess who suffered the loss
    05-30-14 12:43 PM
    till date, i've bought numerous phones, out of which three were Blackberries-since 2008. Honestly, i came back to Blackberry again and again because it was sweet, compact and convenient, unlike present ones, which completely look like 4"-5" iphones and androids.
    I'm not a fanboy or anything, but i've owned phone of every platform except iOS(too expensive for me). Every OS has something special/different about it, especially Blackberry's, but its hardware keys were the real deal. And Android is convenient, cheap and reliable-too easy to use and versatile.
    I will not mind if they release a cross in between Android OS and BB keyboard. (no, i'm not talking about that chinese ripoff )
    i guess it'll sell more

I guess. I bought a Z30, a bb without a pkb. I bought it because I have had bb's but was ready to move on from legacy. My own choices were BB10 or WP8. I might had gone android if it were between that or iOS. so according to some I should just get an android. If I get an android it won't be made by bb because I'm sure there will be cheaper higher speed androids for my money.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 05-30-14 at 12:49 PM. Reason: wrong quote?
    JeepBB, gdg521 and mornhavon like this.
    05-30-14 12:45 PM
    John Chen is smart enough to never say never. That is all.
    Ahmed Hanif likes this.
    05-30-14 12:48 PM
    I hope they will not be forced to abandon BB10 - I like the UI too much.

--------------------

Easy Expense Monitor for BB10 and PlayBook
    05-30-14 12:51 PM
    Again nobody answered the question of what they would gain by going full Android. And how is government support going to react to this if they abandon BB10 to move to Android. I just makes no sense... and a slap in the face for BB10 supporters, the people that worked on BB10 and the money put into it...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    05-30-14 12:56 PM
183 123 ...