If BBRY makes an android OS phone I would just buy a HTC one. What would be the difference? It is probably easier for BBRY to just license BB10 to HTC at almost free than to make HW for android.
    Now a HTC running BB10 I can drool over. BBRY can't compete in an already flooded market.
    05-30-14 12:59 PM
    If BBRY makes an android OS phone I would just buy a HTC one. What would be the difference? It is probably easier for BBRY to just license BB10 to HTC at almost free than to make HW for android.
    Now a HTC running BB10 I can drool over. BBRY can't compete in an already flooded market.
    Why in the world would HTC want to make devices that run BB10 though? Not even BlackBerry can't make BB10 a success, so why would HTC or any other company be interested in licensing it?
    mornhavon likes this.
    05-30-14 01:04 PM
    Why in the world would HTC want to make devices that run BB10 though? Not even BlackBerry can't make BB10 a success, so why would HTC or any other company be interested in licensing it?
    I don't see Google making android successful. If anything its Samsung and htc carrying the weight

Posted via CB10
    05-30-14 01:05 PM
    Again nobody answered the question of what they would gain by going full Android. And how is government support going to react to this if they abandon BB10 to move to Android. I just makes no sense... and a slap in the face for BB10 supporters, the people that worked on BB10 and the money put into it...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    I will play the devil's advocate here:

The most obvious gain would be the closing of the famous "app gap".

Perhaps development costs would be lower if they will not build and maintain their own OS, offering instead a "security layer" of some sort on top of stock Android - but this is debatable (you obviously have more controll when you build "the whole widget", and more controll could very well mean fewer bugs and a better security architecture).

--------------------

Easy Expense Monitor for BB10 and PlayBook
    05-30-14 01:06 PM
    I guess. I bought a Z30, a bb without a pkb. I bought it because I have had bb's but was ready to move on from legacy. My own choices were BB10 or WP8. I might had gone android if it were between that or iOS. so according to some I should just get an android. If I get an android it won't be made by bb because I'm sure there will be cheaper higher speed androids for my money.
    With Android, you always have choices.
    People like it because it can be rooted, make it do whatever you want to do.
    You dont like something, change it. Layout, change it. In some cases, even the OS.
    And no, dont judge android just by looking at Samsung, its cheap. Htc,moto have an edge over them.
    Sure thing BB has its own charisma, the keyboard, the UI, simplicity. But when it comes to popularity, Android is better-more apps, cheap/free/cracked apps.
    All you need is a conscious brain, and you are safe.
    I really hate how Blackberry's own management is trying to kill it. All the new CEO wants is to 'make money'. How can you make money with sole motive of making money, when you are selling stuff that is basically dependent upon people's emotions and convenience.

They make phones, but rarely advertise. Expects its customers to advertise about it, and get them tagged as sheeps, fanboys and what not. Sad part is thats even working. The hell, recently that crowdfunding/donating 1mn$ to bbry thread baffled me.
    That's not how things used to be back then. It's sick

Posted via CrackBerry App
    Doggerz and spikesolie like this.
    05-30-14 01:09 PM
    I don't see Google making android successful. If anything its Samsung and htc carrying the weight

Posted via CB10
    Google isn't a phone manufacturer nor are they interested in being one. Android has always been about being used by OEMS. In that regard, Google has made Android very successful.

Compare Android with Windows Phone 8. Google has been much more successful getting Android onto devices than Microsoft has. How many WP8 smartphones are there that wasn't made by Nokia?
    mornhavon likes this.
    05-30-14 01:16 PM
    I agree completely with the OP, "Blackberry powered by Andoid" does indeed sound weird.

But honestly, I hope BlackBerry tries Android atleast once.

Say what you will about the cons of using Android, but could a Android powered device from BlackBerry sell any worse than BB10 has? BB10 is a commercial failure, yet most people here are OK with BlackBerry trying more BB10 devices. We really don't know how a BB device powered by Android would sell yet, but we all know how poorly BB10 has sold. So why not try Android?

If there is money on the table, they should at least try to grab some of it.
    While I hear you on the commercial failure of BB10, even though I don't agree, wouldn't that make Windows Mobile OS a commercial failure as well? It has taken a number of years for Win Mobile to gain traction.

My wife's family has been anti BlackBerry for the past 3 years, this visit now sees 4 of them with new BB's and liking the new OS. These are past iOS and Samsung people.

It is a little early to call BB10 a failure when it keeps getting better and more recognition over the past year.

Just my 2 cents.

Z30'ing
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    05-30-14 01:17 PM
    Perhaps they look at the Z30 and say we can do better.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-14 01:19 PM
    Google isn't a phone manufacturer nor are they interested in being one. Android has always been about being used by OEMS. In that regard, Google has made Android very successful.

Compare Android with Windows Phone 8. Google has been much more successful getting Android onto devices than Microsoft has. How many WP8 smartphones are there that wasn't made by Nokia?
    Android is older than wp8. There are a lot if windows phones made by different mfg's. Of course android is on a lot more phones, it's free and has been around longer. MS has made wp8 free for OEM'S now. Lets give MS another couple years like android has had and see where things are.
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-30-14 01:21 PM

Posted via CB10
    Samsung or HTC devices would not matter much if the entire Google ecosystem would not be behind them - apps, services and Google's vision in moving the OS forward.

--------------------

Witmen and mornhavon like this.
    05-30-14 01:22 PM
    With Android, you always have choices.
    People like it because it can be rooted, make it do whatever you want to do.
    You dont like something, change it. Layout, change it. In some cases, even the OS.
    And no, dont judge android just by looking at Samsung, its cheap. Htc,moto have an edge over them.
    Sure thing BB has its own charisma, the keyboard, the UI, simplicity. But when it comes to popularity, Android is better-more apps, cheap/free/cracked apps.
    All you need is a conscious brain, and you are safe.
    I really hate how Blackberry's own management is trying to kill it. All the new CEO wants is to 'make money'. How can you make money with sole motive of making money, when you are selling stuff that is basically dependent upon people's emotions and convenience.

They make phones, but rarely advertise. Expects its customers to advertise about it, and get them tagged as sheeps, fanboys and what not. Sad part is thats even working. The hell, recently that crowdfunding/donating 1mn$ to bbry thread baffled me.
    That's not how things used to be back then. It's sick

My point is, I guess, if blackberry makes an android phone I would probably ignore it as I don't buy blackberry just because of the name.
    05-30-14 01:23 PM
    While I hear you on the commercial failure of BB10, even though I don't agree, wouldn't that make Windows Mobile OS a commercial failure as well? It has taken a number of years for Win Mobile to gain traction.

My wife's family has been anti BlackBerry for the past 3 years, this visit now sees 4 of them with new BB's and liking the new OS. These are past iOS and Samsung people.

It is a little early to call BB10 a failure when it keeps getting better and more recognition over the past year.

Just my 2 cents.

Z30'ing
    BlackBerry 10 is less relevant in the smartphone market than OS7 is. Still, all this time later and OS7 is still out selling BB10 by a healthy margin. Windows mobile OS never reached that level of failure.

At this point, I don't see how anyone could think of BB10 as a commercial success. What's the opposite of success?
    JeepBB and mornhavon like this.
    05-30-14 01:25 PM
    What part of android do people like ?? Because a BlackBerry Android will not and cannot be rooted... even then it isn't as secure as the QNX BlackBerry 10 OS. So should they go full Android to please the misinformed consumer and risk destroying their security reputation ? Or continue with BlackBerry 10 and improve the android runtime ? They don't need it and people need to realize that android is rated poorly in the security industry...
    Phone sales are not/never going to hinge on "security".

Windows is as "insecure" as they come and it is the dominant consumer as well as business operating system. Even many government agencies are reliant on Windows. And smartphones haven't even gotten to the point of a Windows XP era computer virus which locks down your internet/web browser and throws pop ups demanding money.
    JeepBB and nick13b like this.
    05-30-14 01:25 PM
    Android is older than wp8. There are a lot if windows phones made by different mfg's. Of course android is on a lot more phones, it's free and has been around longer. MS has made wp8 free for OEM'S now. Lets give MS another couple years like android has had and see where things are.
    I hope things get better for WP8. I remember out they gate they had HTC and Samsung. Then both of those manufactures lost interest pretty quickly. I agree, being free to use can only help Microsoft.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-30-14 01:26 PM
    Phone sales are not/never going to hinge on "security".

Windows is as "insecure" as they come and it is the dominant consumer as well as business operating system. Even many government agencies are reliant on Windows. And smartphones haven't even gotten to the point of a Windows XP era computer virus which locks down your internet/web browser and throws pop ups demanding money.
    You aren't understanding my point. Going full android and abandoning BB10 they would lose their last customer base... why would they support a BlackBerry running android... it's not the reason they bought BlackBerry.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    05-30-14 01:34 PM
    My point is, I guess, if blackberry makes an android phone I would probably ignore it as I don't buy blackberry just because of the name.
    The scenario is very much opposite outside CB.
    People dont want blackberry because its not android

05-30-14 01:35 PM
    The scenario is very much opposite outside CB.
    People dont want blackberry because its not android

Right... people just can't wait to get their hands on a Windows Android phone and IPhone android... ridiculous

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    kbz1960 and spikesolie like this.
    05-30-14 01:38 PM
    Ability to run/dual boot BB10 & Android (or other platform)...

I'd be into that ^^

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.3175
    05-30-14 01:40 PM
    Ability to run/dual boot BB10 & Android (or other platform)...

I'd be into that ^^

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.3175
    Right. But remember Asus tried that for their touch laptop device and Microsoft + Google shut it down.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    05-30-14 01:43 PM
    If people get their way Android will have a monopoly... what a great future. competition is what drives progress.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    05-30-14 01:44 PM
    If people get their way Android will have a monopoly... what a great future. competition is what drives progress.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    We need a world leader, ruthless dictator and BlackBerry 10 fan! People must not have their own way at all costs! Who's with me?

--------------------

JeepBB and mornhavon like this.
    05-30-14 01:53 PM
    I bought the Z10 because it?s running BB10, not android. I don't mind the android runtime as I benefit from it.

For me though, it would be great if the company would just improve the runtime and find a way for the notifications for android apps to go straight to the hub. That would do.

Don't drop development for the sole BlackBerry os. Here's to more updates

Posted via CB10
    05-30-14 02:05 PM
    I bought the Z10 because it?s running BB10, not android. I don't mind the android runtime as I benefit from it.

For me though, it would be great if the company would just improve the runtime and find a way for the notifications for android apps to go straight to the hub. That would do.

Don't drop development for the sole BlackBerry os. Here's to more updates

Posted via CB10
    Notifications do go straight to the hub. I get them all the time for clash of clans. are there some apps that don't seem to do notifications?

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    05-30-14 02:07 PM
    It makes no sense to go Android. Improving and better integrating the Android runtime should be the focus thou

CB10'n it via da Z...30
    05-30-14 02:18 PM
    Yes again. How much market would you think BB get if they made Android OS phone? At least right now BB10 is different. Why would I choose a BBRY Android over Samsung or HTC with better HW? I am trying to see what benefit this would do for BBRY like Dave Borque. There is NONE.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    05-30-14 02:30 PM
183 1234 ...