So I've been thinking a lot about this, and I can't quite seem to make up my mind about the way it outta be. Should the plural form of BlackBerry be:

A) BlackBerrys
    B) BlackBerries

On one hand, we're dealing with a branded item, not a simple noun. On the other hand, perhaps that means nothing and the "ies" rule applies. What do you guys think? This one has been bothering me for awhile.
    03-21-12 12:33 AM
    Blackberrys.
    There's a whole long thread on this. Search the forums.
    03-21-12 01:04 AM
    +1...............
    03-21-12 03:13 AM
    "BlackBerry smartphones" if you want to be really technical.
    peargood, BBThemes and ridesno159 like this.
    03-21-12 04:50 AM
    BlackberryS. +1.
    And yes there is a whole raging debate over it. CB too has a long discussion on it, just try googling.
    03-21-12 05:22 AM
    My English grammar teacher taught me: If in doubt, rephrase. I'd use BlackBerry phones in your case. That is, if you want to be safe; although the colloquial "Blackberries" or "Blackberry's" always gets away without reproof. You decide how high the register would go depending on the context.
    03-21-12 08:42 AM
    Well,definitely it's BlackBerrys.
    03-21-12 09:37 AM
    "BlackBerry smartphones" if you want to be really technical.
    didnt kevin ask someone (mike kirkup?) at devcon like 2 years ago and that was the answer? im certain i heard it on a cb podcast that a rim spokesperson had said that was what they were called.
    03-21-12 11:11 AM
    My English grammar teacher taught me: If in doubt, rephrase. I'd use BlackBerry phones in your case. That is, if you want to be safe; although the colloquial "Blackberries" or "Blackberry's" always gets away without reproof. You decide how high the register would go depending on the context.
    Good advice. English is like that. There's often a better way to phrase something for precision and/or clarity.
    spike12 likes this.
    03-21-12 11:18 AM
    Blackberry is the noun and you add an S to pluralize it.
    03-21-12 09:43 PM
    If we were talking about the fruit then it would be blackberries, but since BlackBerry is a proper noun it would be BlackBerrys.
    03-21-12 09:53 PM
    03-21-12 10:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD