So the ipad that was announced after that envelope proves that RIM was creating a tablet before apple. Apple had the tablet in the works before the iPhone and I believe Steve jobs.because of how well they executed their design. RIM tried with the storm series and was just a joke. RIM wasn't even capable of creating a tablet without qnx.
    The tablet will just be text and a spinning clock running at 624 MHz on a 480x360 screen

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-11 01:42 PM
    So the ipad that was announced after that envelope proves that RIM was creating a tablet before apple. Apple had the tablet in the works before the iPhone and I believe Steve jobs.because of how well they executed their design. RIM tried with the storm series and was just a joke. RIM wasn't even capable of creating a tablet without qnx.
    The tablet will just be text and a spinning clock running at 624 MHz on a 480x360 screen

What tablet, the ipad 2?
    aab81901 likes this.
    02-25-11 01:53 PM
    he means Storm *** tablet.
    RIM probably wanted to release with os6. But with no good reply, they switched to qnx

02-25-11 01:56 PM
    i don't believe the ipad was started after the playbook. if that were true, RIM is really damn slow. But i also don't believe the Playbook was something that RIM thought up on a whim after seeing how well the ipad did. i think the point is they've been working on it for a while too, and needed to get both sides right -hardware (dual core) and software (qnx)
    02-25-11 02:10 PM
    Haha. Who knows?

02-25-11 02:23 PM
    Righto, but it still doesn't answer the question if RIM has had this in under wraps but decided to delay the launch. There is no question ipad was out the door first....
    Think back to 2005 (the safari pad was possibly floating around before this, this is just when i remember hearing rumors of such a thing). RIM was still rolling with the QWERTY only devices which were the 7xxx series, nowhere near the multi-touch interface Apple was exploring at the time.

Apple shelved the Safari Pad most likely due to Windows bombing completely on the tablet front and Jobs decided to focus on phones, a market they had only dabbled in since the ROKR and RAZR didnt go the way they wanted (i owned a Rokr btw, cool device but had to hack to beat the 100 song limit and sync times were ******** slow).

Jobs has even gone on record to state that the iPad was in development before the iPhone and actually paved the way for the iPhone, which was at the All Things D conference 2010.

The Playbook is a reactionary device, similar to every other tablet that has come since the iPads introduction. I think RIM had a "Oh **** Apple can do that with their mobile OS? Lets do it too!" moment after the iPad, only to realize that the BBOS is horrific for touchscreens with nowhere near the same usability as iOS, so RIM purchased QNX. It was then that rumors started brewing about a tablet (these rumors were none-existant prior to the iPad announcement) and voila we have the Playbook in Sept 2010.

Now do I care if Apple was the first to market or had their device brewing for over half a decade? Nope, but if someone said the Playbook has been in development for years, im going to laugh in their face. Thats like saying Palm or Motorola has had a tablet brewing for years, we know its not true. NO ONE wanted to touch the tablet form factor until Apple did since Microsoft and hardware manufacturers didnt find it to be profitable in the least bit.
    02-26-11 12:10 AM
    Are you related to whocaresit?
    02-26-11 04:27 AM
    Devil nicely written hypothesis. Its a good exercise in mental gymnastics. And being 99.99% right means your not certain.

Last edited by i7guy; 02-26-11 at 07:03 AM.
    02-26-11 07:00 AM
    i don't believe the ipad was started after the playbook. if that were true, RIM is really damn slow. But i also don't believe the Playbook was something that RIM thought up on a whim after seeing how well the ipad did. i think the point is they've been working on it for a while too, and needed to get both sides right -hardware (dual core) and software (qnx)
    I don't think that justifies their actions. If they wait longer, technology will evolve even more allowing RIM to further develop the product. On paper it will be the best product out there, but it's just fumes. There's nothing physical to back it up. I'm only saying this to disprove your statement of RIM waiting just to get both sides right. Obviously, the PB is releasing soon.
    02-26-11 02:02 PM
    What tablet, the ipad 2?
    LOL I don't think ios/apple has a spinning clock and loves 624 MHz processors.
    02-26-11 08:56 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD