Updating now in Egypt. Can't wait!

Posted via CB10
    01-28-14 09:16 PM
    I am hoping that they are wrong about AT&T not releasing it until Feb 10th. I wish BB would ignore the carriers and go direct to us. AT&T claims they are supportive of BB but waiting 2 weeks to release it is not really showing "true support". I blame BB almost as much as I blame the U.S. carriers. BB has failed to communicate to the faithful about what is happening and when it is happening. If it was not for CRACKBERRY and other websites we would be in total darkness.
    i really wouldn't be toting my Z if it weren't for CB and the resources a-plenty there is here
    01-29-14 01:07 AM
    OT: Saw Dark Side of The Moon performed @ Kiel Auditorium St. Louis, Mo in March 1973.

I still consider it one of the best shows ever, and I've seen plenty in my day.

Yep, saw the Dark Side of the Moon show back in '75... the encore was Echoes from Meddle in its entirety (almost 25 minutes). This was the last concert of the tour so they used up all their remaining pyrotechnics for the finale.
    01-29-14 06:10 AM
    Fascinating. And I thought their plan was a global rollout on 28th January. I guess not. Still sitting waiting for an updated image for my Z10. I guess I'll get it when I get it and be grateful, eh?
    01-29-14 07:43 AM
    I have to wait till March Damnit!!

Sprint

Posted via CB10
    01-29-14 08:55 AM
    They say February, but it's practically March!

Posted via CB10
    01-29-14 08:56 AM
    Fascinating. And I thought their plan was a global rollout on 28th January. I guess not. Still sitting waiting for an updated image for my Z10. I guess I'll get it when I get it and be grateful, eh?
    Seems global to me

Posted via CB10
    01-29-14 08:57 AM
    Telstra Australia suggest they will have 10.2.1 available on the 10th of March. So much for Blackberry's objectives.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-14 01:04 AM
    Asses out of their heads? Are you sure?

SQN100-3; 10.2.1.1925
    02-05-14 03:34 AM
    Telstra Australia suggest they will have 10.2.1 available on the 10th of March. So much for Blackberry's objectives.

Posted via CB10
    Load the 1925 leak or pop a Voda or Optus sim in your phone there mate

SQN100-3; 10.2.1.1925
    02-05-14 03:34 AM
    Loaded my update using an EE sim as other UK carriers are dragging their feet.
    02-05-14 04:07 AM
    Yep... checked their website. From what I can tell all other carriers have released the update, guess I will try to borrow a sim from another carrier.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-14 04:15 AM
    Well at least I can set my expectations. I was thinking this was an any day now event. Now I will think of it as something at the end of the month.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-14 12:05 PM
    Still no update
    03-07-14 11:34 AM
    It is now March 7. I'm still stuck on 10.1.0.4211. Wtf Sprint..!!

"Initiated from my Q10 "
    03-07-14 12:39 PM
    By their actions I believe it is clear the US carriers want to destroy BlackBerry. They don't want another platform to support but they also don't want to come right out and say it. The social media attack from the world-wide BlackBerry army is embarrassing to them. So what they do is spread rumors in the stores about the death of BB. Refuse to put out updates which massively improve the user experience and make the purchase too much trouble.
    I think you're a bit paranoid. In case you haven't noticed... US carriers are not timely with ANY of the platform's updates. BB10 is hardly in the minority in this area. The only exemption is iOS, but that's because they are the only platform that maintains 100% control over the update process.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    techvisor, Omnitech, jelp2 and 2 others like this.
    03-07-14 02:04 PM
    Its frustrating but the carriers are all bad for anyone besides Apple. Samsung who should have some clout just now has the flagship Note 3 on T-mobile updated to Android 4.4.2 which premiered on the Nexus devices on December 9th, 2013 almost 3 months later.
    03-07-14 03:06 PM
    And the fact that Blackberry's market share in most regions is very low probably doesn't help them much either, when it comes to a larger carrier that does a lot of OS testing/qualification and has much more popular devices competing with BB10 for testing time.

My impression is that many carriers in smaller or developing markets don't do much OS testing anyway, so they tend to release OS builds fairly quickly. Whereas carriers like Verizon and AT&T do extensive testing, and when you're competing with a flagship Android device for testing time, that can't help.
    03-08-14 07:17 AM
    And yeah, did not happen. I've said it before and I'll say it again. BlackBerry should bypass the carriers entirely.

And, on another note, fix their AppWorld notification mechanism.
    03-08-14 01:12 PM
    I received the 10.2.1.2102 update notification five minutes after I turned my new Q10 on for the first time last week. I have the international version.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-14 01:16 PM
    I received the 10.2.1.2102 update notification five minutes after I turned my new Q10 on for the first time last week. I have the international version.

Posted via CB10
    If you're unlocked you will get it sooner.
    03-08-14 01:22 PM
    That's a ridiculous strategy. I have the BlackBerry Z30 with BB10 and it's an amazing device! Best phone I ever had! I used to have the BlackBerry Torch2 (0S7) and it was do great too, but the Z30 is fantastic!

Posted via CB10
    03-08-14 09:44 PM
    And the fact that Blackberry's market share in most regions is very low probably doesn't help them much either, when it comes to a larger carrier that does a lot of OS testing/qualification and has much more popular devices competing with BB10 for testing time.

My impression is that many carriers in smaller or developing markets don't do much OS testing anyway, so they tend to release OS builds fairly quickly. Whereas carriers like Verizon and AT&T do extensive testing, and when you're competing with a flagship Android device for testing time, that can't help.
    I don't know about the testing argument. Western Europe and Canada are not emerging markets. Truth be told is I have never fully understood this testing issue with American carriers. Is there something special about American regulations that makes it more difficult to approve updates? Somebody please explain.
    03-08-14 10:20 PM
    I don't know about the testing argument. Western Europe and Canada are not emerging markets. Truth be told is I have never fully understood this testing issue with American carriers. Is there something special about American regulations that makes it more difficult to approve updates? Somebody please explain.
    Here's the deal:

In the US (and, yes, I know this is true in Canada, but only relatively recently true in Europe), phones are bought from the carrier (usually subsidized and on contract), and it is the carrier, not the manufacturer, who is responsible for providing after-sales service. Europe's history is mostly of buying your phone separately, and then taking it to a carrier for service, though that has changed someone with the rise of high-priced smartphones.

The point is that, because the carrier is on the hook for support in the US, US carriers are FAR more sensitive to phone issues, because it is they who have to pay for them. If a bad OS update rolls out and bricks phones, or causes, say, a reboot bug, they get thousands (maybe hundreds of thousands in some cases) of people coming into the stores demanding a new phone, or extensive troubleshooting, and that costs the carriers a ton of money, plus it distracts the sales reps from their primary job of selling new phones (and more importantly, contracts). The US market is huge, and is very demanding, so a problem with an OS update causes immediate, expensive "pain" for the carrier.

In countries where phones are mostly sold unlocked, if your phone breaks because of an OS update, that's between you and the manufacturer, or perhaps the retailer, which often is an electronics store rather than a carrier, so the carriers don't care nearly as much. Also, because most other countries are all GSM, if their phone has a problem, they can always switch their SIM to their old phone, or buy a cheap feature-phone to get them by until the issue is fixed (if it's a serious issue). This also takes the pressure off of the carriers.

The US is unique in another way in that we have 2 CDMA carriers, which don't use SIMs and can only be activated by a carrier on an individual basis, plus our 2 GSM carriers don't use the same frequency bands, so many phones can't be moved from one carrier to another. That means even more phone-to-carrier lock-in than in other countries, which then puts more onus on the carrier to resolve any issues with "their" phones.

That's why the US carriers do such extensive testing, and make no mistake: they do it for ALL manufacturers, even Apple. The difference is that Apple submits their updates to the carriers and those updates contractually go to the front of the testing line, and only once all 4 carriers approve the update does Apple schedule a rollout. Apple's ability to do that isn't technical, it's contractual, and it's completely unique among phone manufacturers, because Apple had the clout do demand this and get it, because the carriers understood what a huge deal the iPhone was going to be for them.

All the other manufacturers, with the sole exception of GSM (but not CDMA) Nexus phones, have to submit their OS updates to the carriers and wait for the carriers to complete testing and be put on the release schedule. That includes Samsung, HTC, LG, Sony, Motorola, ASUS, Nokia/MS, BB, and everyone else who isn't Apple. Folks here often seem to believe that only BB has to "suffer" through this process, when the truth is that all manufacturers do - Apple just has a "fast-pass" to get to the front of the line immediately, and knows how to SHUT UP and not leak any info until all the approvals are in and they can do a world-wide rollout.

Is it possible that the carriers prioritize their testing schedule? Yes, that's absolutely possible, and I believe it to be true; I'm sure that flagship phones from Samsung, HTC, Moto, and Sony (probably in that order) get priority over Nokia, BB, and other phones, because those are the (non-Apple) phones that make the carriers the most money. BB, being such a tiny percentage of marketshare, probably gets assigned a low priority, but if you were running the carrier, you'd probably make the exact same decision if you took your emotional ties to BB out of it.

The US cellular market is unique in several ways, as I covered above, and you simply can't compare them to other, all GSM countries where phones and carriers are easily separated. It's just not like that here.
    Last edited by Troy Tiscareno; 03-10-14 at 01:25 PM. Reason: typo
    Ragbert, Omnitech, bbq10l and 4 others like this.
    03-09-14 04:27 PM
    Excellent post. In addition to the contractual advantage that Apple has it doesn't let carrier bloatware and OS modifications onto its devices either on initial sale or subsequent updates. That means that testing is more streamlined. The downside to that is that Apple devices don't get carrier add ons like Tmob Wifi calling but thats the tradeoff that Apple wants.
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    03-09-14 05:51 PM
115 ... 2345