Except that I don't get Android apps from third party sites and I stay very conservative in the developers I choose aside from reading the number of downloads, reviews, and the use of AVG and Norton. I've never strayed from the fact that BlackBerry Is the safest OS, and my intent was always to keep vulnerabilities away from my devices. Third party sites introduce vulnerabilities and I was not willing to risk that. Had I had a reasonable expectation that development of native apps would keep its priority I would not have retired my device. The Amazon store, which did not impress me in the least because it did not have the apps I use, was a final admission that Android apps were the way forward. And I won't buy one platform and put dev unsupported from another. For those who wish to do so, enjoy in good health.

You also seem to believe that I don't like my Q10. Which is incorrect. I LOVE my Q. I was meh about my Z and hated the reboots and battery life on it but I love my Q. Which is why I won't sell it. Because if native apps begin to appear I will have something to use them on. As far as my BT, glad yours works. Add I said mine drops nine out of ten incoming calls.

And it's hilarious that you remember me going over my Torch with an ATV. I didn't think anyone remembered that. That was painful.

It's so about choices. I wish to the high Heavens I could have my native apps so that I could get myself a Passport. But it doesn't look like that's likely to happen. And that's where I drew the line. Wish it were different. I didn't change the road map, BlackBerry did. Again, it's my personal choice. Others may do as they wish in good health. Time will tell if consumers will embrace buying a phone from one platform and Dev unsupported an unoptimised apps from another. If Android Devs come onboard and support their Android apps on BlackBerrry that would be huge.
    Yes, I do remember the Torch vs. ATV incident quite well. The Torch was one tough device and you certainly gave it a workout.

I don't run an anti virus on my phone because I don't need to. You do because you can't use "secure" and "Android" in the same breath and be taken seriously. Even the Google Store is vulnerable to malware laden apps. I am very careful what android apps I run. They are few in number.

I believe the Amazon Store agreement portends some interesting options for BlackBerry in the future and it can lead to more android being ported to BlackBerry World.

Like you say, time will tell. In the meantime you know you want the Passport. And I predict that as you visit your carrier store, you will play with it, then play with it some more. You, being a person of distinction and discernment, will then see its innovative awesomeness and you will buy one. Maybe not on release day, but one day soon it will happen. That android device will be put aside and you will be back to Black.

Posted via CB10 via my Z10
    08-20-14 07:02 AM
    The issue with Foxconn is that they are not going to overproduce a phone that isn't selling. The Z3 has sold very well and the latest shipped figures indicate an uptick on the uptake...1.5 million shipped this quarter compared to 1.3 million shipped the last quarter. That allows BlackBerry to at least hold solid in its present position of market share even with the smartphone sales increasing. To increase shipment means that there has been an increase in purchasing. We will know for sure at the next quarter report.

In order for BlackBerry to remain in smartphones, they will have to sell 10 million a year. As long as they initially do that, then they can remain profitable in the mobile handset department. I will be a happy camper since they are producing a great phone with many innovative features that enable me to get done what I need to do.
    Other than the CEO of BlackBerry telling us that the Z3 has sold well.... do you have any evidence of that. The only figures we have seen, haven't been all that stellar (25K, 30K....), and no they aren't enough to hold marketshare... doubt it was enough to hold userbase figures in those markets.

But the extra 300K devices that they reported revenue on last quarter....these are not shipment numbers. They may indicate an increase in shipments, all they really show is that BlackBerry was able to REPORT an extra 300K device were sold (at some point) and they could now count revenues on those. Maybe they were new sales, maybe they were deferred sales from past quarters that couldn't be counted until this time.

But you are right it will take really another couple of quarters to know if something has turned around or not.
    08-20-14 07:30 AM
    Yes, I do remember the Torch vs. ATV incident quite well. The Torch was one tough device and you certainly gave it a workout.

I don't run an anti virus on my phone because I don't need to. You do because you can't use "secure" and "Android" in the same breath and be taken seriously. Even the Google Store is vulnerable to malware laden apps. I am very careful what android apps I run. They are few in number.

I believe the Amazon Store agreement portends some interesting options for BlackBerry in the future and it can lead to more android being ported to BlackBerry World.

Like you say, time will tell. In the meantime you know you want the Passport. And I predict that as you visit your carrier store, you will play with it, then play with it some more. You, being a person of distinction and discernment, will then see its innovative awesomeness and you will buy one. Maybe not on release day, but one day soon it will happen. That android device will be put aside and you will be back to Black.

Posted via CB10 via my Z10

LOL!!!! you sure know how to butter me up, eh????

I'm not a BlackBerry hater as my antifans proclaim me to be. I simply do not follow this current Android on BlackBerry direction. Time will indeed tell. For the moment, I am using a platform I'd never tried before and I was very curious about. It's turning out to be much nicer than I'd anticipated. My Q, as I've said, is retired, not sold. I'm waiting for a good leak to load on it. I'm keeping my apps updated and my device backed up. If I could get my three banks natively, my Geico app natively, my transportation app natively, and I see that I don't have to give those up when I run out the door with *one* device in my pocket, I would still have the Q in the rotation. Really, that's all I ask. I don't care about games. All I want is my already complicated life to be simplified and for my device of choice to be something that helps me simply and effortlessly with the support I expect when I spend my money. That's all I ask. Right now, on my Q10 through my carrier I can't even get my bank and no the web does not work for me because it hasn't got the same features. Sometimes I've got no problem carrying multiple devices. Sometimes I want one, in my pocket. Self contained, supported, with all I want to make my life easier. Is that unreasonable? I don't think so.
    ubizmo and blee4 like this.
    08-20-14 07:53 AM

LOL!!!! you sure know how to butter me up, eh????

I'm not a BlackBerry hater as my antifans proclaim me to be. I simply do not follow this current Android on BlackBerry direction. Time will indeed tell. For the moment, I am using a platform I'd never tried before and I was very curious about. It's turning out to be much nicer than I'd anticipated. My Q, as I've said, is retired, not sold. I'm waiting for a good leak to load on it. I'm keeping my apps updated and my device backed up. If I could get my three banks natively, my Geico app natively, my transportation app natively, and I see that I don't have to give those up when I run out the door with *one* device in my pocket, I would still have the Q in the rotation. Really, that's all I ask. I don't care about games. All I want is my already complicated life to be simplified and for my device of choice to be something that helps me simply and effortlessly with the support I expect when I spend my money. That's all I ask. Right now, on my Q10 through my carrier I can't even get my bank and no the web does not work for me because it hasn't got the same features. Sometimes I've got no problem carrying multiple devices. Sometimes I want one, in my pocket. Self contained, supported, with all I want to make my life easier. Is that unreasonable? I don't think so.
    Not too much to ask...
    08-20-14 08:15 AM
    Not too much to ask...
    Nope. I do not believe that it is.
    08-20-14 08:56 AM
    I somewhat agree with Qbnkelt and some what disagree. I do think that the apps that she seeks will come to Amazon eventually but that she should not buy a phone now that lacks her apps.

I prefer BB10 over Android so I was willing to install Snap and use Amazon to make up for the app deficiency.

There is a group of consumers who want and need a physical keyboard phone. If I was one of these then I would be content with possibly having a shortage in Apps and a great OS and phone.

I disagree with her insistence that her phones be "pure" with no intermingling of platforms. If 10.3 runs Android apps as well as a Samsung does and Google Play is not a requirement and if Amazon actually had these apps then I would suggest that her needs have been met. I do not imagine that Amazon will have her needed Apps this year or maybe not even next year or maybe not ever. That is a problem.
    08-20-14 11:40 AM
    I somewhat agree with Qbnkelt and some what disagree. I do think that the apps that she seeks will come to Amazon eventually but that she should not buy a phone now that lacks her apps.

I prefer BB10 over Android so I was willing to install Snap and use Amazon to make up for the app deficiency.

There is a group of consumers who want and need a physical keyboard phone. If I was one of these then I would be content with possibly having a shortage in Apps and a great OS and phone.

I disagree with her insistence that her phones be "pure" with no intermingling of platforms. If 10.3 runs Android apps as well as a Samsung does and Google Play is not a requirement and if Amazon actually had these apps then I would suggest that her needs have been met. I do not imagine that Amazon will have her needed Apps this year or maybe not even next year or maybe not ever. That is a problem.

Thank you for disagreeing with me without attacking me. Much appreciated.
    08-20-14 12:34 PM
    The amazon app store will depend on how successful (or unsuccessful) the FirePhone and BlackBerry phones are. The Kindle didn't seem to cut it for them.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 05:36 PM
    The amazon app store will depend on how successful (or unsuccessful) the FirePhone and BlackBerry phones are. The Kindle didn't seem to cut it for them.

Posted via CB10
    Because people don't see Kindle as being useful for anything other than and eReader or a device for consuming Amazon content. Amazon botched the Fire Phone launch because it came across as a glorified Amazon price checker first and anything else second.

Which translates to "you want me to give you $299 so I can give Amazon even more money later by buying stuff from Amazon?"

Posted via my Q10
    08-20-14 09:01 PM
    Nothing can escape Google Play Services... I just downloaded the American Airlines app from the Amazon App Store on my Q10 and got that GPS services required message. Not sure what AA needs it for but it does.

Posted via my Q10
    08-20-14 10:03 PM
    Nothing can escape Google Play Services... I just downloaded the American Airlines app from the Amazon App Store on my Q10 and got that GPS services required message. Not sure what AA needs it for but it does.

Posted via my Q10
    So that they may direct the aircraft to your door. Its a new service! I love Google and Android.its the best!

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 10:07 PM

Posted via my Q10
    You need Google Play to receive push notifications from that app.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 10:15 PM
212 ... 789