I wish RIM would include higher quality cameras on their newly announced phones. The highest quality I have seen advertised for Blackberry is 5 megapixel, while other phones have up to 8 megapixel cameras (see HTC Evo, etc.)

The technology is available, why don't they incorporate it? Is it because Blackberries are still viewed as "Business" phones, and therefore do not need the latest in camera/media technology? Is it a cost issue?
    04-09-11 12:07 AM
    More MP'S does not equal "higher quality."

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-09-11 01:21 AM
    Honestly do you really need that many MPs? The iPhone 4 is an excellent camera and it's only the same specs as the BBs coming out this year as far as cameras go. My Bold takes excellent quality pictures and it's only 3.2 MP for a camera phone.
    04-09-11 01:28 AM
    BlackBerry smartphones have some of the best cameras. My 9330 is a 2MP camera and takes excellent photos. More MP also means larger file sizes, which equals more data used when uploading pictures. I don't need that.

04-09-11 10:08 PM
    The 3.2 on my Bold takes superb pictures!
    04-10-11 12:15 AM
    My Bold's camera is excellent!
    04-10-11 01:20 AM
    Did you buy a smartphone or a camera? ..cause if you bought a smartphone based on its camera you bought the wrong thing.
    04-10-11 01:41 AM
    Having a good sensor and lens will make more of a difference in picture quality than the number of megapixels. The iPhone 4 is "only" 5mp and takes wicked pictures for a phone. Same with the Torch.

The megapixel war was something camera manufacturers started to try to one up each other and convince consumers about the "superiority" of their products. The only thing increased megapixels will allow for is bigger prints and more cropping.
    04-10-11 01:44 AM
    This website is about digital cameras, not phone cameras, but the concepts still apply. In most cases, the photographer, not the equipment, is the cause of good or bad picture quality. The Megapixel Myth
    04-10-11 01:46 AM
    BlackBerry smartphones have some of the best cameras. My 9330 is a 2MP camera and takes excellent photos. More MP also means larger file sizes, which equals more data used when uploading pictures. I don't need that.

I agree with you, bigger MP means bigger size, more data usage. I wouldnt want that either!

anyway to the OP, why not buy an slr then attach it to your smartphone? LOL brilliant pic qualitty you'll get by doing that jk
    04-10-11 06:24 AM
    I wish RIM would include higher quality cameras on their newly announced phones. The highest quality I have seen advertised for Blackberry is 5 megapixel, while other phones have up to 8 megapixel cameras (see HTC Evo, etc.)

The technology is available, why don't they incorporate it? Is it because Blackberries are still viewed as "Business" phones, and therefore do not need the latest in camera/media technology? Is it a cost issue?
    The Blackberry cameras are superb, you shouldn't look at Megapixel's only. My sister's Sony Ericsson was a top of the line item, with an 8.1 MP camera. Guess what? My 9650 still takes higher quality photos...
    04-10-11 06:26 AM
    Higher megapixel count only increases the potential for better pictures. However, many times it results in more noise in the picture because the smaller sensors are less sensitive to light.

That being said... With technology improving and sensors getting better, I'd be more than happy to have a device with a higher megapixel camera if the sensors were of suitable quality. I scan and submit images to OCR quite often, and if I could increase the resolution without an increase in noise, then all the better. I currently have a device with an 8MP camera, but I rarely have it set to the highest resolution unless I'm outside and the sun is shining bright.
    04-10-11 12:59 PM
    Like rm says. It really only boils down to these factors-The diameter, mass and quality of the lens! It's all about optics. The bigger the lens, the more light it can capture, regardless of the megapixels. Same goes for binocs and spotting scopes. The good ones have high quality optics.

04-10-11 07:21 PM
    The camera on my bb 9000 sux ,I hear sony is at 17 point something
    Mpix , yes there is more to lens etc but mp are a part of that
    Equation.

04-11-11 10:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD