01-31-22 08:49 AM
    01-31-22 08:58 AM
    "This transaction will not impact customers' use of any of BlackBerry's products, solutions or services."
    01-31-22 09:00 AM
    "This transaction will not impact customers' use of any of BlackBerry's products, solutions or services."
    Which are what exactly?
    01-31-22 09:02 AM
    Talk back for the sake of talking back. As always.
    elfabio80 and anon(10387168) like this.
    01-31-22 09:07 AM
    If you’re going to quote, how about the entire relevant parts to provide context.

“Patents that are essential to BlackBerry's current core business operations are excluded from the transaction. BlackBerry will receive a license back to the patents being sold, which relate primarily to mobile devices, messaging and wireless networking. This transaction will not impact customers' use of any of BlackBerry's products, solutions or services.“

That does confirm that BlackBerry Limited has unequivocally exited the mobile device business…..
    ppeters914 and cgk like this.
    01-31-22 09:13 AM
    Yes - they did not sell the patents of their core products - security software.

All the stuff they don't do - mobile phones and the like they sold.
    01-31-22 09:15 AM
    Because all their customers now are either Automotive or Enterprise Cybersecurity.

I'm not sure BlackBerry counts a few BBMe or HUB+ customers... or if they will be theirs once this is all final months from now.
    01-31-22 09:15 AM
    You clearly weren't alluding to or advocating for corporate IoT customers (Spark, QNX).

So with respect to mobile devices and services, I ask again what they are.
    01-31-22 09:25 AM

That does confirm that BlackBerry Limited has unequivocally exited the mobile device business…..
    NO - they are taking the $600 million and making a 5G Blackberry bold.
    01-31-22 09:27 AM
    NO - they are taking the $600 million and making a 5G Blackberry bold.
    I think they may need a bigger boat!
    01-31-22 09:33 AM
    I think they may need a bigger boat!
    It's a complex tax scam like The Producers!
    01-31-22 09:34 AM
    It's a complex tax scam like The Producers!
    Would be interesting to know who this "fund" is.... FairFax & Teachers Union?
    01-31-22 01:02 PM

Which also begs the question: Who is the buyer who valued mobile phone (and within that, keyboard tech) enough to buy that IP for astronomical amounts of cash?
    01-31-22 03:06 PM
    Which also begs the question: Who is the buyer who valued mobile phone (and within that, keyboard tech) enough to buy that IP for astronomical amounts of cash?
    It's a new company set up for this deal - backed by a major Canadian pension fund (teacher's?).

But it's mostly about backend messaging and network IP.
    01-31-22 03:14 PM

I think that had been Chen's line during this process. He said they were selling their legacy patents. The language about retaining the rights to use the patents is boiler plate language in a patent sale.

I will be very surprised in BB LTD ever sees a dime of the $150 note. Looks like a shell company organized by many different buyers. Could see the shell company fold before the note becomes due. Right now I see the deal at $450 million. In four years I will be willing to raise the value of the deal if BB LTD gets a dime beyond the $450. Maybe they should take the note to JG Wentworth and get their small % of cash now
    01-31-22 03:51 PM
    Just blogged it up for fun on homepage:

https://crackberry.com/blackberry-ca...ne-600-million

Couple updates while I'm here:

a) Hard at work behind the scenes on the migration work and getting everything setup that that needs to be setup so we can move the site over from Future servers to CB

b) Hoping to do a couple big posts this week.. one on the CrackBerry 2.0 Vision Explained, and another one calling for people to Join the Crack Team! Hoping to get those up Wednesday/Thursday

c) Re: Onward Mobility - been playing some phone tag with them. They reached out after our last podcast. Hoping to get on call with them this week and see what I can learn/find out. Will report back.

d) Contests - Want to get some "waiting for crackberry 2.0" contests/giveaways going, but want to do that after the site gets moved off Future servers and onto our own (don't want to risk losing entries in switchover, etc.). So stay tuned!

Sorry to hijack post
    01-31-22 04:26 PM
    Sounds like something to look forward to!!
    Hopefully OM spills some beans...Maybe even reveal to you what Adam/techodyssey was privy to.
    01-31-22 05:03 PM
    Just blogged it up for fun on homepage:

https://crackberry.com/blackberry-ca...ne-600-million

Couple updates while I'm here:

a) Hard at work behind the scenes on the migration work and getting everything setup that that needs to be setup so we can move the site over from Future servers to CB

b) Hoping to do a couple big posts this week.. one on the CrackBerry 2.0 Vision Explained, and another one calling for people to Join the Crack Team! Hoping to get those up Wednesday/Thursday

c) Re: Onward Mobility - been playing some phone tag with them. They reached out after our last podcast. Hoping to get on call with them this week and see what I can learn/find out. Will report back.

d) Contests - Want to get some "waiting for crackberry 2.0" contests/giveaways going, but want to do that after the site gets moved off Future servers and onto our own (don't want to risk losing entries in switchover, etc.). So stay tuned!

Sorry to hijack post
    As long as you're not wondering around the grounds of your mansion, starlet on each arm, wearing a bathrobe and slippers while smoking a pipe!
    01-31-22 05:09 PM
    Sounds like something to look forward to!!
    Hopefully OM spills some beans...Maybe even reveal to you what Adam/techodyssey was privy to.
    Did you just unintentionally give away the OMBerry's form factor? Hmm
    01-31-22 05:47 PM
    If I had to guess it was bought for the purposes of patent trolling. Things along the like of Blackberry's current suit against Facebook over it's various messenger services.
    02-03-22 03:15 PM
    If I had to guess it was bought for the purposes of patent trolling. Things along the like of Blackberry's current suit against Facebook over it's various messenger services.
    I have worked a lot with Tech patents and the quality of the patent is critical I have wondered how much this played out in the case against FB completely collapsing on BlackBerry.
    02-03-22 04:09 PM
    I have worked a lot with Tech patents and the quality of the patent is critical I have wondered how much this played out in the case against FB completely collapsing on BlackBerry.
    The quality and the timing....

If one of these a is a 10 year old patent that someone has been infringing on for nine years, it's hard to go back and collect on that value if you made no effort to communicate your claim.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-08-22 02:14 PM