In order to enhance productivity, the Passport should be revised with higher (longer) screen and richer keyboard.

EDIT: I updated the keyboard image so that you can download it on your Passport and pretend to type on it.

Posted via CB10
    Attached Thumbnails BlackBerry Passport  v.2 concept-blackberry-kb-alphanum.png   BlackBerry Passport  v.2 concept-blackberry-2e.jpg  
    Last edited by dusanvn; 09-02-15 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Updated KB. Try it on your Passport.
    Yertie likes this.
    09-01-15 09:55 AM
    That keyboard would suck

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-01-15 10:08 AM
    I'm just curious, where is the space bar?

Posted via P'CB10
    moegh, pmanousis and indie_b like this.
    09-01-15 07:37 PM
    It's the alphanumeric array, not the whole keyboard. The space bar, as well as Backspace bar, Shift, Ctrl, Alt, Enter, Escape, Delete, Insert etc shall be placed on the bottom row, which is not shown here. The eight navigation keys (Home, End, PgUp etc) shall be emulated by swipping over the capacitive-sensitive keyboard.

Basically I'd like to have a smartphone with a computer keyboard, sort of. With respect to productivity, a phone with physical keyboard can compete (and if so, they're superior) with all-touch phones only if its keyboard is rich enough to host a standard layout. This is possible with the Passport brand, thanks to the generous width of the keyboard (8 cm).

Posted via CB10
    09-01-15 09:34 PM
    It's the alphanumeric array, not the whole keyboard. The space bar, as well as Backspace bar, Shift, Ctrl, Alt, Enter, Escape, Delete, Insert etc shall be placed on the bottom row, which is not shown here. The eight navigation keys (Home, End, PgUp etc) shall be emulated by swipping over the capacitive-sensitive keyboard.

Basically I'd like to have a smartphone with a computer keyboard, sort of. With respect to productivity, a phone with physical keyboard can compete (and if so, they're superior) with all-touch phones only if its keyboard is rich enough to host a standard layout. This is possible with the Passport brand, thanks to the generous width of the keyboard (8 cm).

Posted via CB10
    This is great! Can you show the whole keyboard.

Great idea

Posted via CB10
    09-06-15 02:32 AM
    This is great! Can you show the whole keyboard.

Great idea

Posted via CB10
    Thank you.

I haven't thought about it (yet). The alphanumeric array was taken form my (public domain, non patented) past works on keyboard design. (cf. http://geekhack.org.)

I only know that a whole 12-key row is sufficient for all missing keys. BlackBerry can design it and may have it patented.

It is the form factor of the Passport that enables this novel screen resolution and this novel keyboard layout. The new resolution is nevertheless very close to the well-known aspect ratio 4:5, and the new keyboard layout is nevertheless very close to the standard layout. That's why I believe this proposal can be a good seller.

The Passport, not the Leap or the Slider, implemented as pocket computers, can open an entirely new and prospective market full of computer-hungry users. It's up to BlackBerry whether to take risk and advantages of the first-comer, or to wait and see Nokia, Microsoft, Samsung or Apple making money in it.

Posted via CB10
    09-06-15 09:59 AM
    Duplicate post. Please delete.
    09-06-15 10:08 AM
    So, here's a possible layout. Set it as wall paper for your Passport for a while to see how well it fits in the width.

BlackBerry Passport  v.2 concept-blackberry-kb.png

Bottom row, left to right: Escape, Ctrl, Alt, Shift, Backspace, Space, Shift, Delete, Insert, Enter.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-15 11:32 PM
    im tellin ya, just put the slider on the passport and buff the screen ratio to 4:3. It would kill in my opinion as it could moonlight for my 7" tablet and stay on the phone duties during the day.
    10-28-15 08:16 PM
    I'm afraid I can't agree with you. I think fixed keyboard construction (like Passport) are more elegant, more eye-casting, easier to use, and costs less.

Posted via CB10/BB PP SE.
    10-29-15 07:38 AM
    Just make the existing buttons less wise - then add the shift etc buttons as a column on each side on each side of the existing 3 rows

Posted via CB10
    10-29-15 08:15 AM
    Side positions are much harder to touch than center positions, so frequently used keys such as Backspace and Shift definitely should not be placed there.

10-29-15 08:23 AM
    Perhaps - but it should be possible to modify the existing 3 row keyboard - without retooling the production line

Posted via CB10
    10-29-15 10:26 AM
    Three rows are not sufficient because the standard ANSI/ISO layouts have five rows. Virtually all non-English keyboards are based on these standards.
    11-01-15 11:28 AM
    What I want to know is if it has a removable battery - deal breaker ...
    If it does, I'll take 2 (and 2 battery chargers + batteries) - ie the usual professional order ...
    11-01-15 05:11 PM
    Where is the space bar genius?

Posted from my super awesome and incredible BlackBerry Passport
    11-02-15 09:22 PM
    The Space bar, by default, is the 2x unlabeled key under NM. But the user may swap it with the Backspace bar which is the 2x key under VB. I'm left-handed and I type Spacebar exclusively with left hand thumb so I would definitely swap.

11-04-15 06:39 AM
    Nope, not cool. Sorry.
    11-10-15 04:20 PM
    This would be killer! I love my passport and having the extra row would be rad!

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 03:41 PM
    However, bear in mind that it's no longer the size of a travel passport. Actually it is built around the Golden ratio Phi = 1.618: the body aspect ratio is Phi, the display aspect ratio is Phi/2 and the keyboard aspect ratio is Phi^2=Phi+1.

11-13-15 10:05 AM
    I'm just curious, where is the space bar?

Posted via P'CB10
    Whoneedsaspacebar?

ClassicSQC100-4/10.3.2.2639
    11-20-15 07:01 AM
    The Space bar is in the bottom row, not the 4x12 alphanum array. The full 5x12 keyboard (including the bottom row) is shown in post #8.

11-20-15 09:47 AM