Ok I admit, I may have had a little fun with the thread title but I couldn't resist. Don't get me wrong, I truly believe the BlackBerry Passport in innovative in many ways.

The "New" BlackBerry and it's fearless leader have been continously saying that they are "going back to their roots" and everyone including myself believe that the Passport was the first product of this strategy. Although I had no idea how literal that statement was until I found my old RIM 857. They literally went back to their roots with the Passport, I mean the similarities between the RIM 857 (their second device) and the BlackBerry Passport are undeniable. The original Square Phone. Anyone else see what I do or am I just crazy?

The BlackBerry Passport is a reincarnation NOT an innovation-img_20141229_100317.jpg

Posted Securely Via BlackBerry Scarlet Passport.
    12-31-14 01:21 PM
    That is awesome.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    Fronzcamino likes this.
    12-31-14 01:23 PM
    if you like big good for you..it is not for everybody..for the first generation they had no choice cause nobody were making them tiny at that time. Over time everything shrunk
    12-31-14 01:24 PM
    Maybe closer to the Classic?

Posted from my awesome Classic.
    Master of Surgery likes this.
    12-31-14 01:25 PM
    The HTC touch came out before the iPhone, it was a full touch screen with a home button. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Touch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone

So seeing they were close in their design and their release date, I guess apple was not as innovative as everyone would like to think.

The passport and palm are world's apart, your reaching with this as much as I am with the HTC and iphone.
    12-31-14 01:33 PM
    if you like big good for you..it is not for everybody..for the first generation they had no choice cause nobody were making them tiny at that time. Over time everything shrunk
    Nobody was making them tiny back then, and apparently no body wants a tiny phone now, at least if you go by the trend of phones getting bigger.

Posted via CB10
    12-31-14 01:40 PM
    yes....just like the space...LOL...I think it has to be a middle ground.somewhere..

going to tiny not good. going too big not good either.

But hey, different people, different idea, different like

For make a decent phone size and keep it that way and instead of going from big>small>big and keep updating the software.
    It seems when you go big,small,big the software is kind of left out
    12-31-14 01:49 PM
    I don't think the OP was trying to sell anyone on the Passport, he was just making a comparison, is all.

Posted via CB10
    Fronzcamino and Blacklatino like this.
    12-31-14 02:50 PM
    I agree there is a resemblance their.

Posted via CB10
    12-31-14 02:50 PM
    I never said he was.
    12-31-14 02:58 PM
    And the iPad was invented in 1968.

The BlackBerry Passport is a reincarnation NOT an innovation-image-384172-panov9free-vann.jpg
    tomsobon likes this.
    12-31-14 03:03 PM
    Ok I admit, I may have had a little fun with the thread title but I couldn't resist. Don't get me wrong, I truly believe the BlackBerry Passport in innovative in many ways.

The "New" BlackBerry and it's fearless leader have been continously saying that they are "going back to their roots" and everyone including myself believe that the Passport was the first product of this strategy. Although I had no idea how literal that statement was until I found my old RIM 857. They literally went back to their roots with the Passport, I mean the similarities between the RIM 857 (their second device) and the BlackBerry Passport are undeniable. The original Square Phone. Anyone else see what I do or am I just crazy?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141229_100317.jpg 
Views:	2687 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	324457

Superb observation.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    Fronzcamino and Recoton like this.
    12-31-14 03:14 PM
    Maybe closer to the Classic?

Hmmmm... I would agree more if the 857 had any kind of "Tool Belt".

12-31-14 03:21 PM
    The HTC touch came out before the iPhone, it was a full touch screen with a home button. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Touch

So seeing they were close in their design and their release date, I guess apple was not as innovative as everyone would like to think.

The passport and palm are world's apart, your reaching with this as much as I am with the HTC and iphone.
    Don't really think I'm reaching so far in just pointing out some undeniable resemblances. Also.... not sure where you're getting a Palm device out of my assessment.

12-31-14 03:25 PM
    There are some serious similarities. Great observation. You take me way back to my first one too. Thanks for the memories. Nostalgia s great.
    12-31-14 03:38 PM
    Except for true creative innovation... home computer... smartphone... microwave ovens etc. there is nothing new just improvements... When I started in the computer business in the 80's the IBM XT innards are basically the same albeit faster... you have a motherboard, video card, memory and case with monitor.... yes they added hard drives and optical drive but in essence it is the same hardware just evolved.... such is the way of technology....
    12-31-14 04:02 PM
    All talk of innovation, whether it comes from BlackBerry, or Google, or Apple or Clayton Christensen, is basically a lot of hot air. Innovation is (in most cases) apparent after the fact, and there are no predictably assured ways to innovate.

"Innovation" is just a fashionable word in the tech industry these last few years. So, if you want to call it reincarnation, I have no problem with that :-).

BTW, I'm very envious that you have one of the old-school BlackBerrys! They had a magic to them that is lacking in today's generic glass slabs.

Q10/10.3.1.821
    12-31-14 04:10 PM
    All talk of innovation, whether it comes from BlackBerry, or Google, or Apple or Clayton Christensen, is basically a lot of hot air. Innovation is (in most cases) apparent after the fact, and there are no predictably assured ways to innovate.

"Innovation" is just a fashionable word in the tech industry these last few years. So, if you want to call it reincarnation, I have no problem with that :-).

BTW, I'm very envious that you have one of the old-school BlackBerrys! They had a magic to them that is lacking in today's generic glass slabs.

Q10/10.3.1.821
    Absolutely agree with you. Btw, both my RIM 850 and 857 still power up and work flawlessly. Built to last these things are.

Fronzcamino likes this.
    12-31-14 05:18 PM
    There's definitely a resemblance in the evolution of Blackberry. Nice collection of Blackberry btw.
    Fronzcamino likes this.
    12-31-14 06:17 PM
    yeah i can see what you're saying
    Master of Surgery likes this.
    12-31-14 06:24 PM
    Hmmmm... I would agree more if the 857 had any kind of "Tool Belt".

True. I was looking more at screen size.

12-31-14 07:12 PM
    pretty cool pic I must say...!

...Ten BlackBerrys and counting....
    12-31-14 07:27 PM
    There's definitely a resemblance in the evolution of Blackberry. Nice collection of Blackberry btw.
    Thanks. I'm a BlackBerry hoarder.

BB_Junky likes this.
    12-31-14 08:25 PM
    I think it's funny how when cell phones first came out they were huge and bulky, and then as time went on, people wanted smaller and smaller phones. The idea of a large phone was just so "ridiculous". Then, we pushed the boundaries with 4" screens, 5" screens, and now 6" screens, and if you have a small phone, you are the "odd" one. Funny how things come full circle.

Posted via CB10
    12-31-14 08:53 PM

Honestly, they aren't close in design at all... Both the phone and the OS.

Posted via CB10
    12-31-14 09:00 PM
47 12