Press Release

Research In Motion and Thomson Reuters, today announced plans to launch the BlackBerry� Partners Fund, a US$150 million venture capital fund, to invest in mobile applications and services for the BlackBerry� platform and other mobile platforms. The Fund is to be co-managed by JLA Ventures and RBC Venture Partners.

The Fund will be designed to advance the industry by fostering development and driving the entrepreneurial spirit to create the most innovative mobile offerings for customers.
    “The mobile world has evolved well beyond phone calls and simple messaging to require more empowering and liberating solutions that connect people to everything that matters most to them, wherever and whenever they want,” said Jim Balsillie, Co-CEO, Research In Motion. “RIM, RBC and Thomson Reuters share the common belief that mobile applications and services will propel the industry forward and the BlackBerry Partners Fund is being formed to help fuel innovation and activity in the mobile ecosystem.”
    About BlackBerry Partners Fund

The BlackBerry Partners Fund is a $150 million venture capital fund being formed to focus on applications and services for the BlackBerry platform and other mobile platforms including mobile commerce (payments, advertising, retailing and banking), vertical and horizontal enterprise applications, communications, social networking, location-based applications and services (navigation and mapping), media and entertainment, and lifestyle and personal productivity applications. The Fund will consider all stages of development and is to be co-managed by JLA Ventures and RBC Venture Partners.

Sweet, that will help keep the development community loyal to BlackBerry.

Pay for few pots of java.

"Mobile ecosystem", Jim does have a way with words.
    Last edited by Stoner; 05-12-08 at 03:20 PM.
    05-12-08 03:13 PM
    they should take part of that money to design a way to be able to run apps from microsd cards. now that would be an empowering and liberating solution.
    05-12-08 03:22 PM
    they should take part of that money to design a way to be able to run apps from microsd cards. now that would be an empowering and liberating solution.

I second that but I'm also glad to hear about the fund...I'm sure it'll bring in some pretty cool advancements.
    05-12-08 03:28 PM
    Where did that Business Plan Builder macro get too?

I am impressed that Reuters is on board. This means business, live stock tickers are near at hand.

RBC is managing the money. That is a subsiduary of The Royal Bank of Canada with global reach.

Hummm... now all I need is an idea!
    05-12-08 03:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD