At this price point, it's a signal to me that they're not competing with iPad but with Kindle Fire instead.
    Kindle Fire is targeting the same consumers that the ipad and playbook are. It's just doing it at a ridiculously low price point. I seriously almost got one of them instead of the playbook because, for what you pay, you really do get some awesome features. I got playbook though because of the tether and all the goodies coming with 2.0. Now just hoping RIM will deliver when, and how, they said they would.
    sam81 likes this.
    12-09-11 12:20 PM
    PlayBook has great specs, even after 6 months. OS works very well, sure there are a few features that many expected the maker of the BlackBerry to included in the tablet, but I don't believe that native email is the reason consumer are not buying it.

That all said... how does this bode for the future BB10 phones?

I think most consumer are looking at what a device DOES and not what a device IS. So for RIM to sell more PlayBooks and BlackBerrys they need to make sure that those devices can do whatever consumers want them to do - and do it very easily.

Basically RIM need an iTunes or a Marketplace of their own.
    12-09-11 01:22 PM
    Kindle Fire is targeting the same consumers that the ipad and playbook are. It's just doing it at a ridiculously low price point...
    I don't totally agree. The Kindle Fire is a different business model, really, and the device is way more dependent on a live connection than the Playbook is. Amazon likely IS losing $$$ on the Fire at purchase, but given the business model, that's really a marketing cost. They'll recover that cost through content sales.

The Playbook follows the iPad model a little more closely, with more "autonomous" content. The trouble is, very little that's available in App World right now contributes directly to RIM's revenue stream. Hopefully they can find a way to capitalize on content soon.
    12-09-11 02:26 PM
    I have the luxury of having both a Playbook and an iPad 2. The Playbook gets used 90% of the time. It's simply more portable and the browser can display Flash (which I use daily). The iPad 2 is negated to the coffee table and is mostly used for Apps at this point.

They are both solid products but after having used iOS since 2007 I'm just bored with it. QNX/BB 10 just has exciting potential, I love the GUI (and from what I've seen OS 2.0 improves on it). I love the touch bezel, I love the size / weight, love the stereo speakers etc. It's got HD cameras just screaming for someone to make an App to use them!

Like many I'm frustrated by the glacier pace RIM seems to be working in, frustrated developers don't want to take a chance. I mean they develop for WebOS which is DOA and now officially dead and can't make a Playbook App with a growing user base? Really?

I don't need a content system. I have a pedabyte of movies / music and the ease I can drag and drop it on Playbook is awesome. Add OGG and MKV support and it will be the perfect media device.
    12-09-11 02:30 PM
    Sounds like a matter of personal opinion, with no facts Anthogag. Polls like these are released all the time by various sources. I could see how one would come up with the conclusion blackberry owners want iPads though. Everyone does they own the Tablet market (excluding a small percentage for other companies devices).

?

In the article the reporter doesn't state the source, doesn't give us any numbers, and the article is brief. And, if I recall correctly, Android and Windows was talked about more in this 'brief' article.

Lame...lame...LAME
    12-09-11 03:10 PM
    When you read the article instead of speculating here is what you get.

The survey, which was conducted online in mid-to-late November, polled about 2,500 people across the country. Respondents were asked which of 14 tablets (from 11 different manufacturers) they would choose if they were to buy a tablet. For the most part, they pointed to the iPad regardless of the smartphone operating system they currently used.

The results of that inquiry underscored the iPad’s power in the market while also signaling signs of traction for other tablets. Though the iPad was the single most popular tablet respondents purchased in the last three months (at 50% of respondents), 13% of respondents said they had bought the Kindle Fire. Michael Allenson, a Maritz senior strategic consulting director who led the study, considers that a strong showing for the Amazon device. The Kindle Fire, he noted in an interview, had just gone on sale (following a pre-order phase) at the time the survey was conducted.

Samsung’s Galaxy Tab also had its fans, accounting for 9% of respondents’ tablet purchases within the past three months. In his interpretation of the results, Allenson wrote, “As the [tablet] market continues to mature and include more mainstream consumers, it is likely that there will be room for other [non-Apple] brands to flourish.”

So there are the numbers and who did it. Please read, it is fundamental.

Lame lame lame.

Sent from my MB292LL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Accidental Post; 12-09-11 at 06:22 PM.
    TGR1 and phonejunky like this.
    12-09-11 06:08 PM
    What is the demographic of the online users? What are their backgrounds? Where online did the poll take place? On Forbes site? Email?
    12-09-11 06:29 PM
    Says someone who has a username "SuperDroid"...
    I guess they know all about android then and still says that.
    12-09-11 07:01 PM
    yes this poll doesnt mean anything there are two diffrent kind of blackberry users - the kind that visit this forum and know about RIM products and then the teenage girls that use blackberrys only for bbm and only know about the ipad....
    12-09-11 07:05 PM
    So by that logic the two BB user groups are teenage girls and cb members.

Really? Think about your statement.

So 3 million cb members and the rest of RIM's customers are teenage girls.

Sent from my MD276LL using Tapatalk
    12-09-11 07:20 PM
    When you read the article instead of speculating here is what you get.

The survey, which was conducted online in mid-to-late November, polled about 2,500 people across the country. Respondents were asked which of 14 tablets (from 11 different manufacturers) they would choose if they were to buy a tablet. For the most part, they pointed to the iPad regardless of the smartphone operating system they currently used.

The results of that inquiry underscored the iPad�s power in the market while also signaling signs of traction for other tablets. Though the iPad was the single most popular tablet respondents purchased in the last three months (at 50% of respondents), 13% of respondents said they had bought the Kindle Fire. Michael Allenson, a Maritz senior strategic consulting director who led the study, considers that a strong showing for the Amazon device. The Kindle Fire, he noted in an interview, had just gone on sale (following a pre-order phase) at the time the survey was conducted.

Samsung�s Galaxy Tab also had its fans, accounting for 9% of respondents� tablet purchases within the past three months. In his interpretation of the results, Allenson wrote, �As the [tablet] market continues to mature and include more mainstream consumers, it is likely that there will be room for other [non-Apple] brands to flourish.�

So there are the numbers and who did it. Please read, it is fundamental.

Lame lame lame.

Sent from my MB292LL using Tapatalk

Where did you get this info? I read the article, where does it mention the source.

This is an online survey, did they survey people visiting a specific site?
    12-09-11 07:27 PM
    Where did you get this info? I read the article, where does it mention the source.

Second paragraph:

A new survey from market researcher Maritz Research
    The reason why details are sketchy is that the research firms sell the survey results for a pretty penny and they will come down hard on any reputable site that publishes even a little more than is publicly released.
    12-09-11 07:52 PM
    Would this be one of those random popups if you visit a certain site? Like if a bb user was looking to switch and was checking out an apple site?
    12-09-11 07:59 PM
    Would this be one of those random popups if you visit a certain site? Like if a bb user was looking to switch and was checking out an apple site?
    Reporter's words from the comments section of the Forbes article:

It was not an open call placed on the Internet, but an actual study, conducted by an established research firm. Here�s the firm�s website: Customer Experience Research | Maritz Research. I talked to the researcher who oversaw the study and he said the firm has done previous surveys of gadget owners.
    In another reply she stated that the study was not commissioned by a company.

The takeaway from these surveys is that they suggest general trends, not specifics.
    12-09-11 08:20 PM
    Reporter's words from the comments section of the Forbes article:

In another reply she stated that the study was not commissioned by a company.

The takeaway from these surveys is that they suggest general trends, not specifics.
    Thanks. Well I know how I would answer it LOL.
    12-09-11 08:23 PM

I READ the article.

12-09-11 08:48 PM
    The article never mentioned how they chose the 2500 responders, it didn't say what percentage of the 2500 were BB users (200? 100? 500?). These things aren't mentioned because they're manipulating the info.

It's still a lame title for this kind of lame article
    12-09-11 09:18 PM
    The article never mentioned how they chose the 2500 responders, it didn't say what percentage of the 2500 were BB users (200? 100? 500?). These things aren't mentioned because they're manipulating the info.

It's still a lame title for this kind of lame article
    No, not cool: this sort of response is embarrassing and way too common on this forum. Blithe accusations of skullduggery without any proof is very immature. Of course that info isn't mentioned � you have to buy it from them.

As for "manipulating" the data � as the reporter acknowledges it is of course open to interpretation. That's why these guys put out these teasers that are just enough to hook their fish.
    12-09-11 09:37 PM
    No, not cool: this sort of response is embarrassing and way too common on this forum. Blithe accusations of skullduggery without any proof is very immature. Of course that info isn't mentioned � you have to buy it from them.

As for "manipulating" the data � as the reporter acknowledges it is of course open to interpretation. That's why these guys put out these teasers that are just enough to hook their fish.

What's embarrassing is this article. I want to know how many BB users and how they were picked A 'serious' article would make this info available.

I went to moritz.com and there's nothing about this there.
    12-09-11 10:34 PM
    What's embarrassing is this article. I want to know how many BB users and how they were picked A 'serious' article would make this info available.
    Guess what? Most 'serious' companies do not publish the entirety of their more important stuff on the web.

I went to moritz.com and there's nothing about this there.
    You have completely ignored what I repeated twice. One last time: there WON'T be because you have to PAY FOR THE REPORT.
    12-10-11 01:38 AM
    It shouldn't be that hard to accept the findings of this survey. The proof is in the pudding.

iPad is selling more units every 4 days than playbook has sold since launch. Projections are for iPad to sell14 million this qtr. Rimm has 70 million subscribers yet only sold 880,000 playbooks before the fire sale,.

Seems reasonable to assume bb users want the iPad otherwise the playbook would have sold.

No?
    12-10-11 05:27 AM
    It's sad how people don't do the simple things like read and get proven wrong, over, and over, and over again. This thread would beat shorter if people just learned to read the article before posting nonsense.
    12-10-11 06:52 AM
    Anthogag. Read the article first page

This was particularly true of BlackBerry users. More than half (53%) of survey respondents who identified themselves as BlackBerry users said they would like an iPad if they were to buy a tablet. A much smaller percentage of BlackBerry owners opted for the other two most popular choices in the study: Amazon’s Kindle Fire (12%) or Samsung’s Galaxy Tab (11%).

Only 8.5% of BlackBerry users expressed preference for the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet. This relative lack of enthusiasm among RIM’s own customers may explain, in part, why the company has struggled to sell the PlayBook since its April debut. Last week, RIM announced a $485 million write-off on its unsold PlayBook inventory.

Aprox half the repose ts were BB owners.

You really make yourself look foolish when you don't read what is in plain site.

Last edited by Accidental Post; 12-10-11 at 09:57 AM.
    phonejunky likes this.
    12-10-11 08:49 AM
    You posters are talking to your hands
    12-10-11 10:04 AM
    BlackBerry Owners Want iPads And So Do Android And Windows Phone Owners: Survey - Forbes

This article doesn't just pick on us though. According to the survey, Android and WP users want iPads as well. Kindle Fire and Android Galaxy barely make a dent much less the Playbook. The surprising factor for me is that, even among BB users, the playbook was the least desired tablet. How can RIM usurp Apple's obvious dominance in this market? Do you think this reveals that RIM should dump the tablet altogether?
    THEY HAVE TO MARKET MARKET AND MARKET THIS PRODUCT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! look at ipad commercials, this is a must for RIM!!!!!!!!!!!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-10-11 10:51 AM
77 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD