BlackBerry Owners Want iPads And So Do Android And Windows Phone Owners: Survey - Forbes

This article doesn't just pick on us though. According to the survey, Android and WP users want iPads as well. Kindle Fire and Android Galaxy barely make a dent much less the Playbook. The surprising factor for me is that, even among BB users, the playbook was the least desired tablet. How can RIM usurp Apple's obvious dominance in this market? Do you think this reveals that RIM should dump the tablet altogether?
    12-08-11 11:11 AM
    No, you don't see makers of mp3 players dropping out of the market. If they all did then its a matter of time till apple will rule this world of their technology. They shouldn't dump it just yet. I for one don't want the only thing available out there just an apple product.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Jake Storm and kbz1960 like this.
    12-08-11 11:17 AM
    OP: "Do you think this reveals that RIM should dump the tablet altogether?":

No, but I do think it should cause RIM to take notice on how you don't half-step into something that could be damaging if it does not execute with enough effort.
    moiselles and JBenn911 like this.
    12-08-11 11:20 AM
    [The surprising factor for me is that, even among BB users, the playbook was the least desired tablet.
    Not a surprise to this BB owner because that's exactly the way I feel.
    12-08-11 11:21 AM
    Until OS 2.0 is released, the Playbook will lack the features (such as PIM) to compete with the iPad alternatives (Nook, Kindle etc). So it doesn't surprise me it is the least desired tablet.

Disclaimer: I don't want the iPad and I own a Playbook
    12-08-11 11:27 AM
    If the iPad would bridge to my Torch, I might be tempted. Having said that, though, my wife has an iPad and I wouldn't trade with her.
    meltbox360 likes this.
    12-08-11 11:36 AM
    if somehow RIM would add a note taking app that works well with a stylus on OS 2, I would be a happy camper. for students it would be awesome. and also the option of having multiple instances of the same program opened at the same time like two word documents, or power point slideshows
    12-08-11 11:36 AM
    Interesting that this article is telling me what I want. As for me, they are dead wrong. I paid full price for my first Playbook and have been picking up more each time the price drops.

The Playbook is awesome. They are entitled to their opinion and I am entitled to mine.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-08-11 11:41 AM
    Interesting that this article is telling me what I want. As for me, they are dead wrong. I paid full price for my first Playbook and have been picking up more each time the price drops.

The Playbook is awesome. They are entitled to their opinion and I am entitled to mine.
    It's a survey. It's in general, not you specifically.
    12-08-11 11:51 AM
    i am always curious to see a date when they do the survey. As in was the PB full price at 499 or 199. there is a huge difference on whether i desire to get a product at 500 vs if that same product is 199.
    12-08-11 11:57 AM
    Forbes has two other article that are interesting in relation to RIM's future

Next Generation BlackBerry Only Hope For RIM, Execution Risk Looms
    According to ComScore, RIM lost one million subscribers in the U.S. in October and has begun to experience rising attrition rates internationally, where it derives three-fourths of its revenues.
    Jeff Bezos Eyeing Apple's Lunch? Amazon Smartphone In 2012, Citi Says
    Channel checks suggest the Amazon smartphone will have a 4-inch touch panel display, an 8 mega pixel camera, and adopt a Microsoft operating system. The phone will probably run on a Texas Instruments OMAP4 processor and Qualcomm’s dual mode 6-series standalone baseband.

Amazon has already proved that it has no problem trying to selling its hardware at a loss with the new Kindle Fire Tablet. Citi suggests the phone’s production cost will range from $150 to $170 and that Amazon carriers could be selling it at cost, undercutting the market. HTC, for example, sells it mid-end phone for about $243 to make a 30% gross margin; HTC’s phones run on either Google’s Android operating system or on Windows.
    If RIM is going to stay in the Hardware business they are going to need a complete ecosystem to go with it!
    12-08-11 12:38 PM
    The iPad is by far the best known tablet. And there haven't been hardlyany bad news problems with it in over 2 years. So it will win most surveys no matter what phone they use. Like the old MP3 player days: the Zune, the Dell DJ (my first player), the Creative Labs and other players. They just didn't offer anything significantly new that was important, or they had software problems. Apple stayed away from the "subscription service" rent-a-tune model (Zune didn't). Somehow they just are able to anticipate what is important to most of the folks, and they make stuff pretty simple to start using. I think the iPad will be the same way. And you can't beat Apple by being cheaper, they've proven that over and over and over again. These are electronic gizmos that most people really don't need. These aren't cars and houses and washing machines. To beat Apple products you have to be significantly better, or include something they don't have and that people really want. There's a reason that they don't make a low priced, limited feature iPhone.
    Last edited by thebignewt; 12-08-11 at 12:49 PM.
    moiselles likes this.
    12-08-11 12:43 PM
    We have an IPad2 sitting just a few feet away. I use the Playbook because that is what fit my specs, my son bought the Apple product and he is happy with it. Just like any product there are different manufacturers thus different qualities. I like my little PlayBook. I hope RIM scores a touchdown with their new phones. I think I might buy one of them when they come out next year and I will bear with RIM while they put the system in order. They are the underdog and have chosen to take an unconventional and controversial stand in the market place with their product line. It is hard not to be follower when someone else has gotten out of the gate first with a good product that quickly became the benchmark for quality. RIM nor any tech company can just give up because someone else is first or doing well, they have to compete or go out of business. The survey does not hold true for me, sorry Forbes. My apologies for writing so much, there just seems to be so much of this kind of topic here at CrackBerry, its like here we go again. No matter how many posts I see about how great someone thinks another product is and that I need to be made aware of the possibility that I have made a poor choice, I am still going to enjoy reading it all from my PlayBook.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-08-11 07:21 PM
    I read the article. The source is Customer Experience Research | Maritz Research (Maritz: Employee Motivation | Incentive Travel | Customer Loyalty | Marketing Research).

They do telephone and online polls. I couldn't find the article (results) on their site.

The Forbes headline "BlackBerry users prefer iPad..." is lame
    12-08-11 11:15 PM
    if somehow RIM would add a note taking app that works well with a stylus on OS 2, I would be a happy camper. for students it would be awesome. and also the option of having multiple instances of the same program opened at the same time like two word documents, or power point slideshows
    The HTC Flyer does that (stylus/note taking thing); it wasn't a hot seller
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-09-11 02:03 AM
    Not a surprise to this BB owner because that's exactly the way I feel.
    And yet some of we BlackBerry PlayBook users seem to make productive use of this tablet everyday in professional and educational environments. I would not use another tablet if the BlackBerry PlayBook had not come along. Sure there are missing features which should be addressed in the early part of 2012, at which time perhaps more professional-grade native applications will appear for this tablet. Anyway, yesterday I used the tablet to study of a certification examination, read a couple articles on legal research and writing skills and article about learning how to read case law, visited a few websites as I research post-baccalaureate study, transferred funds to pay some bills, checked the weather forecast for the weekend, and listened to a radio station streaming its broadcast via the Internet. I got home after midnight so I watched a episode of Harry's Law that I missed last week. What were you saying again, son?
    12-09-11 03:41 AM
    And yet some of we BlackBerry PlayBook users seem to make productive use of this tablet everyday in professional and educational environments. I would not use another tablet if the BlackBerry PlayBook had not come along. Sure there are missing features which should be addressed in the early part of 2012, at which time perhaps more professional-grade native applications will appear for this tablet. Anyway, yesterday I used the tablet to study of a certification examination, read a couple articles on legal research and writing skills and article about learning how to read case law, visited a few websites as I research post-baccalaureate study, transferred funds to pay some bills, checked the weather forecast for the weekend, and listened to a radio station streaming its broadcast via the Internet. I got home after midnight so I watched a episode of Harry's Law that I missed last week. What were you saying again, son?
    What apps did the naysayers say you needed?
    recompile likes this.
    12-09-11 04:49 AM
    I've had an iPad since launch, but ordered a PlayBook when it dropped to $199. Price was a big factor, as was boredom with the iPad, even though it works well. (That's sort of the nature of tech stuff, I suppose.) But the most interesting feature to me is the bridge browser, which I hope is fast enough to use regularly. 90% of what I use the iPad for is internet browsing, and if I can do that without a wifi connection, the Playbook will replace the iPad altogether for me.

I guess there's also a bit of brand loyalty at work, too - I wanted to support RIM by buying/using their products - which I generally really like - especially given the pounding they've beent taking lately.
    12-09-11 05:36 AM

The Forbes headline "BlackBerry users prefer iPad..." is lame
    Sounds like a matter of personal opinion, with no facts Anthogag. Polls like these are released all the time by various sources. I could see how one would come up with the conclusion blackberry owners want iPads though. Everyone does they own the Tablet market (excluding a small percentage for other companies devices).

?
    dobiefan and Accidental Post like this.
    12-09-11 06:34 AM
    Sounds like a matter of personal opinion, with no facts Anthogag. Polls like these are released all the time by various sources. I could see how one would come up with the conclusion blackberry owners want iPads though. Everyone does they own the Tablet market (excluding a small percentage for other companies devices).

?
    Yet on here everyone can't wait to point out that polls aren't reliable.

Add another bb owner who wants nothing to do with an ipad. Not that it isn't a great product but it just isn't for ME. I'll take my trusty and handy not complete PB any day. Now to do some research over bridge cause der ain't no wifi here and my phone is too small for what I like.
    12-09-11 07:12 AM
    I bought an iPad, a Galaxy tab and BB Playbook. iPad for my son, tab for my wife and Playbook for myself. It is up to 'free will' I guess.
    12-09-11 07:40 AM
    What apps did the naysayers say you needed?
    Apparently there are no applications missing for my immediate needs that are not available either by default or through BlackBerry App World for the BlackBerry PlayBook.
    12-09-11 07:54 AM
    i am always curious to see a date when they do the survey. As in was the PB full price at 499 or 199. there is a huge difference on whether i desire to get a product at 500 vs if that same product is 199.
    At this price point, it's a signal to me that they're not competing with iPad but with Kindle Fire instead.
    12-09-11 10:02 AM
    In spite of all this bad news, I went ahead and ordered my PlayBook today. Excited!
    12-09-11 11:05 AM
    So what. Blackberry is still the best smartphone on the planet
    Says someone who has a username "SuperDroid"...
    Lead_Express and meltbox360 like this.
    12-09-11 11:22 AM
77 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD