"The number of smartphones that hit the markets totaled 145 million in the first half of this year, according to data by ABI Research, a tech research firm.

Samsung and Apple together account for 55 percent of the market share, while taking about 90 percent of their global operating profit from sales of smartphones, the researcher noted.

Nokia, which used to be the leader in 2G mobile handsets, had only about 12 million smartphones sold in the global market, ending up the third-biggest player.

Research In Motion, the creator of niche BlackBerry for businesspeople, is closely gaining behind Nokia with about 11 million sales.

The U.S.-based research firm predicts that RIM will most likely to overtake Nokia going forward as RIM fared better than the Finnish phone maker in the first quarter."

Samsung, Apple dominate world smartphone markets by over 50% - The China Post
    06-24-12 01:14 PM
    Research In Motion, the creator of niche BlackBerry for businesspeople, is closely gaining behind Nokia with about 11 million sales.
    Problem right there. People read for business people so then consumer think, bah that phone isn't for me.
    mithrazor likes this.
    06-24-12 01:30 PM
    Considering the abysmal state of affairs that is Nokia, RIM leapfrogging it really isn't
    all that newsworthy.
    06-24-12 03:29 PM
    Problem right there. People read for business people so then consumer think, bah that phone isn't for me.
    You are correct...

But, isn't that exactly what RIM does by saying things like Tools Not Toys, People who DO things, Playtime is over(or whatever variation on the same theme it was), etc... ad nauseum...

They can't have it both ways...

Just saying
    Last edited by [email protected]; 06-24-12 at 04:03 PM.
    06-24-12 03:40 PM
    Considering the abysmal state of affairs that is Nokia, RIM leapfrogging it really isn't
    all that newsworthy.
    Oak trees, acorns. Nurture the beginings and a solid tree results.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    06-24-12 03:40 PM
    all that newsworthy.
    With the media constantly harping on 'three ecosystems', being number 3 is not a bad place to be. Not to be forgotten as well is that Nokia is Microsoft and Windows 8.
    sleepngbear likes this.
    06-24-12 03:56 PM
    I RiM overtaking Nokia or is Nokia falling behind RIM. There is a difference.
    06-24-12 04:02 PM
    There is simply not enough Scotch on Earth to make that make any sense to me.
    06-24-12 04:12 PM
    The fact is RIM's survival mandates it MUST be number three and like it or not, it's going to come down to Microsoft vs. RIM.

While RIM has several things going for it, can it go up against Microsoft with its diverse products and deep pockets ? I'm hoping yes, but intellectually you can see the disparity in resources and......patience. RIM is out of time, they are up against the wall, all bets are on one horse.....I could go on with the tag lines ad-nausea. Microsoft has lots of money and several other major products lines that could support the company indefinitely while this all shakes out. RIM is really a one-horse company and will be for the foreseeable future.

So while I support all things RIM, I'm beginning to think this is a race they simply can't win in the long term.
    06-24-12 04:21 PM
    A couple of nuts can be responsible for big things?

Actually I think it's a reference to the saying "mighty oaks from little acorns grow"
    06-24-12 05:44 PM
    Even if it shows RIM at least treading water as it prepares to introduce a new platform? Come on, this is at least a little evidence that RIM still enjoys some prominence in the smartphone market, with its EXISTING product no less.

Why go out of your way to spin this?
    06-24-12 05:49 PM
    The fact is RIM's survival mandates it MUST be number three and like it or not, it's going to come down to Microsoft vs. RIM.

While RIM has several things going for it, can it go up against Microsoft with its diverse products and deep pockets ? I'm hoping yes, but intellectually you can see the disparity in resources and......patience. RIM is out of time, they are up against the wall, all bets are on one horse.....I could go on with the tag lines ad-nausea. Microsoft has lots of money and several other major products lines that could support the company indefinitely while this all shakes out. RIM is really a one-horse company and will be for the foreseeable future.

So while I support all things RIM, I'm beginning to think this is a race they simply can't win in the long term.
    I still think it's a false argument to say there's only room for three ecosystems. One might argue that Android itself has already split itself into multiple sub-ecosystems.
    06-24-12 05:51 PM
    You're a squirrel. It should make more sense to you than everyone else. :P

I also find it quite ironic that a "niche" smart phone maker would become number three.
    daveycrocket likes this.
    06-24-12 06:02 PM
    RIM makes no attempt to play up its successes. They should be reminding everyone ad nauseum that they have a robust subscriber base. It is either incompetence or willful misconduct that they don't talk themselves up. It's almost as if it were decided two years ago they should be broken up and sold to Americans on the cheap.
    06-25-12 06:34 AM
    Even scotch has to start somewhere, the flavour, the colour, the age are things which get it drunk.
    06-25-12 06:38 AM
    Before a great vision can become reality there may be difficulty. Before a person begins a great endeavor, they may encounter chaos. As a new plant breaks the ground with great difficulty, foreshadowing the huge tree, so must we sometimes push against difficulty in bringing forth our dreams.
    "Out of Chaos, Brilliant Stars are Born."
    One interpretation of I-Ching Hexagram #3

There we go.

On a more serious note, RIM being in third is a good thing, and RIM has taken on (and won) against Microsoft in the past. They certainly are capable of doing it again.
    06-25-12 06:44 AM
    Start with the 30 year old and work your way back...
    06-25-12 06:44 AM
    and RIM has taken on (and won) against Microsoft in the past. They certainly are capable of doing it again.

Yeah that is something I often think of. Microsoft, while seeming to have everything going for it, has repeatedly failed in mobile against RIM, Apple, etc.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-25-12 07:14 AM
    all that newsworthy.
    We all know that RIM isn't performing well, and will continue to not perform well for at least another quarter or two, and we all know the reasons for that. Nokia is supposed to be on the upswing with Windows Phone, yet it appears to be falling faster than RIM. Considering the relative stages both are at in their transitions (Nokia should be much farther along), the trend being reported here has to be taken as good news and a glimmer of hope. I am certainly surprised by it, although admittedly I will be even more surprised if it comes to fruition, as I'm expecting the next two quarterly earnings calls to be about as uplifting as a funeral.
    glassofpinot likes this.
    06-25-12 07:18 AM
    As a RIM fan and investor, its always good to hear about any win that they can get, even if it's just them beating a weak player like Nokia. Having said that, I'm still worried about Microsoft. Their track record in the mobile world might not be that great, but they've already shown they're willing to sink incredible money into a market they want to be in.

Look at the xbox. A lot of commentators thought Microsoft wouldn't be able to compete with Nintendo or Sony, but after sinking approx $4,000,000,000.00 ($4 Billion) into the original Xbox, Microsoft bought themselves enough market share that the press were calling Nintendo dead. Even today the Xbox 360 is not a big profit driver for the company but they want to be in that market and continue to invest in it.

My point is, if Microsoft wants mobile market share, they have the cash and patience to buy their way in, with cash cows to continue funding the project. RIM unfortunately doesn't have that luxury.

Still, good to hear some good news.
    06-25-12 11:04 AM
    I think RIM is gaining customers as their subscriber number keeps going up. With the BIS/BES service, RIM can provide an accurate number for active customers.

I suspect Nokia's customer base is dwindling, along with its sales.
    06-25-12 11:40 AM
    When it comes to comparisons with Nokia, it is worth remembering:

-RIM is still a profitable, going concern. The quarterly report won't be pretty on Thursday, but the company is still anticipated to make a profit for the year. For Nokia, it would be a miracle.

-RIM is treading water with its existing technology.

-RIM has a new platform ready to launch, and with $1bln less expenses they are still viable.
    06-26-12 10:42 PM
    Even if it shows RIM at least treading water as it prepares to introduce a new platform? Come on, this is at least a little evidence that RIM still enjoys some prominence in the smartphone market, with its EXISTING product no less.

Why go out of your way to spin this?
    I'm not sure i'd consider it "spin". Nokia have fallen from #1 to what? #4 now?. iOS & Android in the mean time have shown exceptional growth. RIM has added subscribers while losing market share but it's not like they were consistently outselling Nokia to surpass them the way the others were.

Yes, it's good for RIM, at least until Microsoft buy Nokia.
    06-27-12 09:58 AM
    My question is where are all the daily articles claiming Nokia is broken, dead, too little too late, etc.

I guess under the vanguard of Microsoft they are spared the hit parade.
    06-27-12 10:14 AM
    Nokia simply has to accept that BB was after all a former leader in the Smartphone space. Plus they are relatively new in the market that's already crowded. What do they expect from the beginning? That they would make their way to third place straight away? No, obviously not.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-27-12 10:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD