I am using bb bold 9790 for 2 month and i have a serious problem about over data use. When i realize, my phone data usage is over 500mb per day i delete all of the application .

To monitor my data usage i downloaded several applications and even delete my mails, unable to use browser and have non of the applications , still i have data usage of 500mb per day. This is driving me crazy i can not use any off application and paying a huge bill for stupid mistake.
    I will be glad if any one else had this problem or know how to solve it.
    06-24-12 07:45 AM
    Here's a very good and free Traffic Monitor Free Traffic Monitor - Download Traffic Monitor - Free Apps from BlackBerry App World

You have done the right thing by deleting all your apps to help stop this.

Please list the apps you had and maybe we can help identify what is happening as this is absolutely not normal.

I have a BlackBerry dataplan that only allows me 100Mb per month. Mostly therefore I do my downloading on WiFi which is, of course free. The Traffic Monitor I listed will show WiFi and carrier traffic differently so you can see which path your data is flowiong to and from.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    06-24-12 07:56 AM
    Thank you for your concern.
    I already have this application to monitor my data usage.
    I am pretty sure that i have no application related to data usage.
    The only aplications that i have know is related to basic phone activities like options, camera , media etc.
    I already uptade the OS but it did not solve the problem too.
    Is there any possibility that my phone has some viruses.
    06-24-12 08:10 AM
    Thank you for your concern.
    I already have this application to monitor my data usage.
    I am pretty sure that i have no application related to data usage.
    The only aplications that i have know is related to basic phone activities like options, camera , media etc.
    I already uptade the OS but it did not solve the problem too.
    Is there any possibility that my phone has some viruses...
    06-24-12 08:12 AM
    I don't know how you can use 500 mb a day with only doing email. Sure someone else isn't using your phone? Streaming music? Has to be something. Do you still use 500 mb a day when you don't even use the phone?
    06-24-12 08:20 AM
    That's my monthly allowance which I only use 200 max of.
    06-24-12 08:31 AM
    I am sure that no one else using my phone. and there is no possible application to stream videos musics etc.
    Yes even i did not use phone there is lots of data usage. For example i was sleeping yesterday there is 250 mb datausage .
    06-24-12 08:32 AM
    as a test try removing the battery for 24 hours minimum. Check you usage, if there is ANY used at all in that period then there is a billing system issue that your carrier will need to investigate. But a BB using more than 100mb a day would need some serious playtime. Tethering, etc. The BB cant use that much under normal conditions.
    06-24-12 09:19 AM
    I was wondering about modem use, but this needs to be tethered via USB? Social networking?
    06-24-12 09:31 AM
    What carrier are you with? I was reading similar concerns on the Rogers and Fido forums recently and the suggestions were to call your carrier and have it sorted out. There were a few posts about having the phone turned off and data was still being used. I would report it to them sooner than later. Hope you get it sorted out.
    06-24-12 09:41 AM
    I could not come up with a logical answer. I did not use it as a modem too. I wıll try to shut down the phone more than 24 hours as your advice.
    Should ı send my BB to service or what? can RIM investigate what cause the data usage?
    06-24-12 09:43 AM
    Something weird is going on here because your BB is doing exactly the opposite of what a BB does best, which is being economical when it comes to data usage. I still have the "old" unlimited plan with Verizon, but I don't even come close to using half a GB/month.
    daveycrocket likes this.
    06-24-12 11:46 AM
    did you have checked when the data is used?

the 7.1 built in can show you the data usage (wifi+your carrier netwerg in one) of the device, oh I see the linked one too.

If you have checked, is your data usage similar over the hour or different?

Best, upload a screenshot of it (screen muncher, screen grapper or the crackberry one (damn I forgot the name again, but real good!) etc.)

Can you try for example out: setup the network option to no data or only roaming, use only wifi for a while active, is over wifi then also a (significant) data usage shown even you haven't used it?

If still data is shown on your app/RIMS app, then there is really something wrong.

Also how big is your data plan? (Hope you have one and it is not paid per MB etc.)

application manager - can you check what application still on your phone and using cpu/memmory etc.?

Again, best to upload a screenshot here. Perhabs someone can see someting to help you.

If it is an app, with so much download or upload it should be also using cpu time etc.

Did you use "the battery pull"-Technique? (I know, it's stupid but sometimes this helps, very often)
    06-24-12 06:36 PM
    Something weird is going on here because your BB is doing exactly the opposite of what a BB does best, which is being economical when it comes to data usage. I still have the "old" unlimited plan with Verizon, but I don't even come close to using half a GB/month.
    yes indeed, I have only a sad 200MB plan, and my provider increased the plans costs (few days before I wanted to upgrade) bei 25% - so the bigger plan costs me 25% more, 3 days to late

But, on quiet hours the data monitor app shows sometimes only Bytes!

This is someting an Android never can do (or it can, but no of my friends could it )
    06-24-12 06:41 PM
    I once tried getting close to my 3GB max and streaming pandora everyday and using gps service I only hit 1.25GB

Your carrier must have something screwed up on your acct or your phone has one heck of a data leak. Weird though as I have only seen data leaks in iphones.
    06-24-12 08:01 PM
    My mom had a similiar issue using Bell. She had one of those cell modems. She kept going way over her monthly limit. we monitored her bandwidth, nothing. Bell still said it was her. So then we didn't use the modem all month & with it turned off it still "downloaded" over 2GB. Bell finally agreed to give her a new modem with a new SIM & all of a sudden her usage dropped down to less then 50MB a month.

If your BB is saying that you didn't use that data (& can't can't imaging a BB doing 500mb a day) then do a "Secure Whipe" of your phone & go to your carrier. insist that they give you a new SIM card, because the issue is probably on their end.
    06-24-12 08:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD