I've already used the search function and can't seem to find the answer.

My wife trashed her LG and I have an old 8830 that she wants to use. She has no need for the data plan. All she wants to be able to do is make phone calls and text. I had her call Verizon and they are claiming that the phone doesn't work AT ALL without a data plan. I could swear I've heard people using BB's without a data plan. Any ideas?
    06-29-09 08:08 PM
    yeah you can't do that
    06-29-09 08:10 PM
    A friend of mine reported that Verizon told them the exact same thing. I can assure you that on AT&T a BlackBerry will work for voice and SMS without a data plan because that's how my son's Pearl is configured.

So unless Verizon has something wacky in their system that denies a BlackBerry without a data plan, they're lying to their customers.
    06-29-09 08:12 PM
    no clue how verizon works
    i know that with my phone from tmobile i can pop in another persons sim and it will let me make calls
    06-29-09 08:15 PM
    I've already used the search function and can't seem to find the answer.

My wife trashed her LG and I have an old 8830 that she wants to use. She has no need for the data plan. All she wants to be able to do is make phone calls and text. I had her call Verizon and they are claiming that the phone doesn't work AT ALL without a data plan. I could swear I've heard people using BB's without a data plan. Any ideas?
    Verizon requires a data plan for any Blackberry. That's not the case for AT&T
    or T-Mobile.. I'm not sure about Sprint. Even if you tried to pull a fast one
    and tried to switch devices over the phone, you'd still need to give the ESN
    and from right there the rep will know that it's a Blackberry and will know that
    it can only be activated with a BB data plan.
    06-29-09 08:38 PM
    If I recall, BB made for Verizon are made to only work with a data plan!!!
    06-29-09 09:36 PM
    Verizon requires a BB data plan on all BB devices on their network. There is no getting around it. It is required. They will not activate a BB without it.

The phone would work without it, but they force you to get one.
    06-29-09 09:37 PM
    Yeah Verizon blackberries are the only one's that are required to have a data plan
    06-29-09 09:39 PM
    I don't think it's special BB's made for Verizon, it's Verizon having made a business decision that they refuse to activate without the data plan. It's just how they decided to run there business. You could always activate that phone on someone elses plan.
    06-29-09 10:05 PM
    Did you try doing a device change online? Might be worth a shot...
    06-29-09 10:22 PM
    The system will stick the plan. Like others said, if u slip through the cracks u wnt be doing it for long

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-09 01:18 AM
    my girlfriend is using her 8310 without a data plan, they just want you to pay as much as possible -__-
    06-30-09 01:20 AM
    The system will stick the plan. Like others said, if u slip through the cracks u wnt be doing it for long

So their software searches for BB ESNs and automatically adds a data package to a phone that's not using data? That's an amazing system... I wonder what the contract terms say about that?
    06-30-09 10:56 AM
    The system does audits and it knows which ENS's are BlackBerry devices. The data plan will be added automatically. It's required.
    06-30-09 11:05 AM
    Most notorious has to be att with the iphone data plan

06-30-09 12:57 PM
    my girlfriend is using her 8310 without a data plan, they just want you to pay as much as possible -__-
    Other providers may or may not require a data plan. Verizon does.
    06-30-09 07:06 PM
    Verizon requires a data plan for any Blackberry. That's not the case for AT&T
    or T-Mobile.. I'm not sure about Sprint. Even if you tried to pull a fast one
    and tried to switch devices over the phone, you'd still need to give the ESN
    and from right there the rep will know that it's a Blackberry and will know that
    it can only be activated with a BB data plan.
    T-Mobile does, however, the Pearl and Pearl Flip are excluded from the mandatory data plan requirement.
    06-30-09 07:26 PM
    T-Mobile does, however, the Pearl and Pearl Flip are excluded from the mandatory data plan requirement.
    Yeah, and the requirement is only for new activations. T-Mobile doesn't go through ESNs and see who has a Blackberry and if they have the right data plan for it. One could easily get a Blackberry from eBay, pop in their SIM and it would work just fine for phone/text...
    06-30-09 07:33 PM
    Even T-Mobile has switched. If you buy a new Curve 8900 from T-Mobile, they will require you pay for data. It sucks, but not much you can do... Unless you can get an unlocked one (not sure if you could get away with it or not that way). Either way, Verizon doesn't use SIM cars so there is really no way to get by it. I used a BlackBerry without data on T-Mobile for a year and while it is not as amazing as having data, it is still unsurpassed by any other device. Wish carriers would give the consumers options, what ever happened to that?

06-30-09 08:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD