It's no secret that verizon and sprint customers get screwed on device choice. Unless these networks carry the devices you can't use them.

I have an unlimited and unthrottled VOLTE data plan from Verizon so it's hard to switch. I can use 100 gigs and it doesn't even blink.

But unless you want an iPhone or Android there's not much else to choose from. Some of us don't want an iPhone or a galaxy....

Verizon screws us with not allowing unlocked devices and their limited selection of phones. I want a passport so baddddddddddddd I can't stand it.

So what's the chances the BlackBerry Oslo will come to Verizon or Sprint (sprint users don't have **** to choose from) ? I love the idea of the slider but I honestly love the passport style design much better. Verizon please carry the BlackBerry OSLO!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 11:34 AM
    none, it's a device made for the chinese market, aka it won't have the radio bands for sprint or verizon
    06-10-15 11:37 AM
    Why is it the Chinese market tends to get the nicer design and better speced devices? Sony, HTC, and others have all released higher speced versions of their flag ships for China.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 11:40 AM
    Given what people have found about new devices within the OS, I'm not sure if the device photographed is even a China device...

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 11:44 AM
    I have an unlimited and unthrottled VOLTE data plan from Verizon so it's hard to switch. I can use 100 gigs and it doesn't even blink.
    This is the only reason I haven't switched to AT&T and bought the sexy red passport from amazon.
    06-10-15 11:44 AM
    This is the only reason I haven't switched to AT&T and bought the sexy red passport from amazon.
    I'm with you, I would have already rolled to AT&T and bought the white Passport if it wasn't for my unlimited data.

I have heard rumors that the Oslo could head to other networks. One can only hope. Hate greedy *** Verizon.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 11:49 AM
    Given what people have found about new devices within the OS, I'm not sure if the device photographed is even a China device...

Posted via CB10
    I have heard this too. It gives me a little glimmer of hope. I love my z30 but I can't type on this ****. I find myself missing my classic or q10 all the time but I love the bigger screen. The Oslo would be perfect.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 11:50 AM
    Verizon would have to order a big enough batch so BB could profitably make a CDMA Oslo variant and then that model would go thru FCC testing and we'd know about it before Verizon formally annouced it was carrying Oslo. But its not going to happen.
    TgeekB likes this.
    06-11-15 03:55 AM
    Your thread title needed a question mark instead of an exclamation point.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-15 04:41 AM
    I just saw some Oslo pictures on a Russian website last night, I wonder if it's going good all Asian countries, not just China

Z10
    06-11-15 06:17 AM
    I personally left Sprint a while ago for Verizon when the Storm came out. Back in October? I officially left my unlimited data plan on Verizon for the Passport on AT&T. Saved hundreds since.

The way I look at it now is connect to WiFi if I'm getting close to my limit or call and add a few gigs for $20 if really necessary. I have WiFi at home, all friends have it, work has it, and my next car will have WiFi as well. So what was I paying Verizon for?

I understand every situation is different, but I get the device I want. It's Verizon's problem that they lost a long term customer to AT&T for not carrying the device.

On top of that, I now get $15 off per month for bringing my own device and a 24% discount from work. I don't know... seems like you can jump on WiFi almost anywhere now. Traveling, hotels, all offer free WiFi. Pretty much everywhere.

Posted via CB10
    DarkJoker33 and TgeekB like this.
    06-11-15 08:20 AM
    Same here.
    06-11-15 08:28 AM
    I have WiFi at home, all friends have it, work has it, and my next car will have WiFi as well.
    You *do* realize that "car WiFi" just means the car will have a built-in "MiFi" type device that you'll have to have a cellular subscription for, just as if you bought a MiFi and kept it in your car today, right? There's no magical free WiFi. I'm saying this because many people, not necessarily you, seem to think that new cars will have "free WiFi" in them based on a few misleading commercials.
    06-11-15 09:06 AM
    If the Oslo or even Passport gets announced for Verizon in the next few weeks (which i highlly doubt) or even if there is any kind of proof that a CDMA variant exists or will be made, i will stay with Verizon. But I have been planning on going to a GSM carrier for a while. Mainly, i would like to try out other devices (Passport, One Plus One) and usually unlocked phones are typically cheaper months after they're released compared to CDMA phones.

Verizon Z30 still costs $500 new. But a brand new unlocked Z30 usually costs about $300

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-11-15 12:11 PM
    You *do* realize that "car WiFi" just means the car will have a built-in "MiFi" type device that you'll have to have a cellular subscription for, just as if you bought a MiFi and kept it in your car today, right? There's no magical free WiFi. I'm saying this because many people, not necessarily you, seem to think that new cars will have "free WiFi" in them based on a few misleading commercials.
    People don't understand this at all Troy. All they see is their car having wifi and not thinking for a minute where it's coming from. It's no different than satellite radio: they may give you a little bit of time for free, but either you pay for it after the introductory period ends, or you lose the service.
    06-11-15 12:23 PM
    People don't understand this at all Troy. All they see is their car having wifi and not thinking for a minute where it's coming from. It's no different than satellite radio: they may give you a little bit of time for free, but either you pay for it after the introductory period ends, or you lose the service.
    Get them hooked... :-)

"Free ice cream...!"

�   Pastaporto aglio e olio... Mmmhhh!   �
    rthonpm likes this.
    06-11-15 01:42 PM
    Yes, I'm well aware of this actually... I definitely understand your statement that others may not be though. Will be ordering a 2016 Camaro when the dealers get their allocation and aware that it's an add on service. I really just wrote that as another example because when I'm in my car, I'm likely driving and not going through gigs of data anyway.

My point was just that everywhere I'm at there seems to be WiFi. I just never looked before since I was on unlimited data with Verizon. Never knew work had it... the doctors office... the little lodge when I drive up to go skiing, etc. There's free WiFi just about everywhere I go now.

As for the car, I haven't quite decided on what add ons I'm going to go for. The WiFi would likely be similar to the free minutes I get with my current car then pay for more with something similar to a free trial then pay for the "WiFi". This is nowhere near the top on my list though and I honestly could care less about it, but was just making a point that, at least for me, the unlimited data plan was costing me more for nothing.

I've never hit my AT&T limit and they roll over whatever data I don't use and give me $15 a month for bringing my own Passport (this is all just gravy as the AT&T plan was significantly cheaper than my Verizon unlimited). Everybody has a different situation. I'm in the northeast so coverage is basically full LTE on both Verizon and AT&T here and wherever I end up going as well.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-15 06:56 PM
    Next you'll be saying there's no gold at the end of the rainbow. Shenanigans I say.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    06-12-15 07:55 PM
    Excellent point Troy. I understand that the GM wifi is AT&T and is expensive for a small allotment of data.

Posted with my Z10 on Verizon 10.2.1.3253
    06-13-15 07:31 PM
    Most cars last at least 10 years, right? Think about the data service you had just 5 years ago - most people were on 2G, or expensive 3G plans, and many were on frequencies that are no longer used for that kind of data today. We already know there are big changes coming in the next few years for cellular data, and yet the hardware isn't commercially available right now. So any WiFi in a car today is going to be obsolete in 5 years, much less 10. That's one reason I think it's idiotic to put WiFi in a car.

A friend of mine bought a very nice 7 year old Mercedes S-series convertible in 2006. It had a "car phone" integrated into the entertainment system (cassette and CD), but because of when it was made, that car phone was ANALOG. Of course, it was completely useless in 2006, even though he was willing to pay for it just for the integration. I just see in-car WiFi as having the exact same problems. Now, having USB power for something like a MiFi? Where the MiFi can be acquired from any carrier and cheaply replaced every few years as tech changes? That makes FAR more sense.

I have the same issue with "Smart" TVs - the apps and app engine will be obsolete long before the display will be of no use. It's far smarter to have the "smarts" in an external device (Roku, Apple TV, Android TV, etc.) that can be easily and cheaply replaced every couple of years as tech evolves.
    DarkJoker33 likes this.
    06-13-15 08:10 PM
    Most cars last at least 10 years, right? Think about the data service you had just 5 years ago - most people were on 2G, or expensive 3G plans, and many were on frequencies that are no longer used for that kind of data today. We already know there are big changes coming in the next few years for cellular data, and yet the hardware isn't commercially available right now. So any WiFi in a car today is going to be obsolete in 5 years, much less 10. That's one reason I think it's idiotic to put WiFi in a car.

A friend of mine bought a very nice 7 year old Mercedes S-series convertible in 2006. It had a "car phone" integrated into the entertainment system (cassette and CD), but because of when it was made, that car phone was ANALOG. Of course, it was completely useless in 2006, even though he was willing to pay for it just for the integration. I just see in-car WiFi as having the exact same problems. Now, having USB power for something like a MiFi? Where the MiFi can be acquired from any carrier and cheaply replaced every few years as tech changes? That makes FAR more sense.

I have the same issue with "Smart" TVs - the apps and app engine will be obsolete long before the display will be of no use. It's far smarter to have the "smarts" in an external device (Roku, Apple TV, Android TV, etc.) that can be easily and cheaply replaced every couple of years as tech evolves.
    The GM wifi is probably integrated with its OnStar system. OnStar uses AT&T for their in car, or truck cell communication. I have a 2007 Chevrolet Silverado which came with free OnStar for a year and included an integrated cell phone number for my truck with a finite number of minutes. I believe it was about 100 minutes. It was cool to have a separate number in the vehicle and I could talk hands free for about a month. Then the minutes ran out and the cost to get more was economically prohibitive. To this day, I still have that number active if I want to buy more minutes.

Posted with my Z10 on Verizon 10.2.1.3253
    06-13-15 08:39 PM
    If you guys/gals have decent Sprint service in your area, get a FreedomPop 4G LTE refurb hotspot for ~$40 when they pop-up on Newegg. Sign up for the free plan (500MB) and add friends via some lists you can find on the interwebs to raise your free allotment to 1GB/month.

I mounted mine in my truck that connects to my Nexus 7 headunit and I have free data for maps, music, etc for life. Have never gone over the 1GB yet in about a year.
    06-19-15 01:07 PM
    You can use the passport bro just put your sim car in it will work
    06-25-15 03:02 PM
    Verizon is not greedy .this is the agreement they have with the other carriers .if Vz had all the phones and unlimited data. would you go to any other provider?
    06-25-15 03:04 PM
    Can Verizon at least get a Passport?! Oslo might be asking for to much even if it wasn't just for China.
    06-25-15 03:10 PM
27 12