Blackberry OS market share is the same as Apple's PC share before they went into music and ipads. Interesting thought that just struck me.
    (I think BB OS market share is now near 6% of the (smart)phone market, which is about what the Mac share was back in the day when Apple was only a computer company). Just an ironic observation - it doesn't mean anything..
    06-22-12 12:40 AM
    Well I guess all the crap I get for being a BlackBerry loyalist is just payback for the grief I gave mac users when it wasn't hip to use one...
    06-22-12 03:03 AM
    Right. Except Apple grew to 6% from nothing over many years, while BlackBerry went from 30% to 6% in a quarter of the time.

Easier to go up when you're stable than to go up when you're in a nose dive. But my fingers do remain crossed nonetheless.
    06-22-12 08:48 AM
    With low numbers like that, I wonder if I can qualify as a cool hipster using a BlackBerry? That would be pretty sweet :-)

I can see it now...I pull up in front of a bunch of people on my bike with no gears, wearing skinny jeans, starbucks in one hand, BlackBerry in the other, texting away.

Crowd: "What's that you're using?"
    Me: "Oh, it's a BlackBerry. You've probably never heard of it"

/rides away in to the sunset...
    06-22-12 09:13 AM
    Right. Except Apple grew to 6% from nothing over many years, while BlackBerry went from 30% to 6% in a quarter of the time.

Easier to go up when you're stable than to go up when you're in a nose dive. But my fingers do remain crossed nonetheless.
    True, but what it does show is a comeback is possible. It may be hard and/or unlikely, but it is doable.
    06-22-12 09:40 AM
    The 2 markets are totally different IMO.
    06-22-12 09:51 AM
    The 2 markets are totally different IMO.
    Not only that, Apple diverged into a completely new direction to achieve the success it did (ironically, mostly at RIM's expense). RIM is going to try to grind it out in pretty much that same market, unless they've got some big expansion planned for QNX beyond even what we've so far only speculated about.

@addicted, it's definitely doable, though I really don't think we'll see a turnaround of the magnitude that Apple managed again any time soon. I'd be very happy with simply a return to relevance. That is, a solid #3 alternative that can keep MS at bay and Apple on its toes. And I do think that is doable.
    06-22-12 10:26 AM
    With low numbers like that, I wonder if I can qualify as a cool hipster using a BlackBerry? That would be pretty sweet :-)

I can see it now...I pull up in front of a bunch of people on my bike with no gears, wearing skinny jeans, starbucks in one hand, BlackBerry in the other, texting away.

Crowd: "What's that you're using?"
    Me: "Oh, it's a BlackBerry. You've probably never heard of it"

/rides away in to the sunset...
    /putts away into the urban jungle on a Vespa...

WinningWithLogic likes this.
    06-22-12 10:29 AM
    With low numbers like that, I wonder if I can qualify as a cool hipster using a BlackBerry? That would be pretty sweet :-).
    There is nothing cool about being a hipster.
    06-22-12 03:47 PM
    I might begin to ramble, but it might be funny.
    1. Get the lady from the Fiat commercial to sign an advertising deal with BB.
    2. Put some BlackBerry 10's, polished, into the hands of I phone users and ask them to comment while recording. Show off some features.
    3. Use the NFC to completely download ALL Iphone data and transfer it to BlackBerry ready to use! This could be very useful.

4. Accept that pursuit of a perfect phone/device is futile. They all have their flaws and either you work around them or change.

I don't really understand why the public has not given BB a fair shake. Mine is the best assistant I have ever had.
    06-22-12 08:26 PM
    I don't really understand why the public has not given BB a fair shake. Mine is the best assistant I have ever had.
    We have to accept that we may be different from the "public". I like my BB assistant too , but not everyone is writing on a thread like us - most of them are just buying phone+services and going thru their day. And they are buying a lot of smartphones.
    06-23-12 12:08 AM
    Good points made by many posters.
    The most surprising thing for me is the 6% figure, which will go lower before it goes up. The market is growing, so even if pre-10 BB sales stayed steady for 5 months, the share will drop.
    It's a niche market segment. It's not the mainstream (except in some countries where the market really doesn't embrace a lot of data hogging phones).

But RIM has to absolutely own that niche. I think that they can, and then they can build on that victory.
    Last edited by glassofpinot; 06-23-12 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Sp
    06-23-12 12:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD