First let me say I am a software developer and while I have done some blackberry specific application development my main experience hase been with windows mobile and HTC based products.

Currently I own a blackberry storm 9530, 2g 8gig Iphone, and several different versions of the HTC pro.

I have read many different post on this form about unlocking the storm, and getting the storm to run on this service provider vs that service provider. I have also seen a ton of "No its not possible" and "IT cant be done" when questions have been asked ect.

Now in asking this question I am not looking to get banned or flammed or anything but has anyone thought about attempting to reverse engineer the blackberry os so all of the "No its not possible" and "It cant be done" answers can be replaced with "use the search option"? The reason I am asking the question is HTC makes an awesome product but at the start there were functions and apps and options at the source code level that people wanted to change. So xda-developers site was born.

If I asked how could I get my storm to run on sprint? or how could I get a blackberry on sprint to run on verizon (not that anyone would want to).
    09-21-09 10:04 PM
    Reverse engineering takes a long time, and I think most people are happy with what they have. The BlackBerry is not really a "hacker" phone, the main user base is impressed enough with how solid and secure it is.

I know platforms like the Pre and Android phones are more open to development but that's just their nature. Here we enjoy our security and for the most part accept the things we cannot do.

Maybe it's not for everyone but it serves a large audience nonetheless.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-21-09 10:55 PM
    Reverse engineering takes a long time, and I think most people are happy with what they have. The BlackBerry is not really a "hacker" phone, the main user base is impressed enough with how solid and secure it is.

I know platforms like the Pre and Android phones are more open to development but that's just their nature. Here we enjoy our security and for the most part accept the things we cannot do.

Maybe it's not for everyone but it serves a large audience nonetheless.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    There is something to be said for that, and I for one am not looking to make and force change on anyone. I had read (did not reply) a topic about a guy who wanted to use the storm he purchased on sprints network, I seen a ton of people say why it could not be done. Although from a theory stand point they were probably 10 feet away from having a logical solution (although developing and bringing the solution to market is a different story) and it had me ask the question as to why.

I for one will be activating my storm tomorrow on a verzion account dont think I will unlock it or anything but if I wanted to and wanted to change the service provider would be nice to know I could. (which I cant)
    09-21-09 11:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD