I don't know how many references to the BBOS being stale or obsolete I've seen lately... but as someone who has spent a good portion of their career involved with OS design (on the security end, but still) , I just don't see what these claims are based upon.

All I can think is that these people are confusing things like the GUI, the web browser, and other applications for part of the OS (much like people used to with the Windows GUI and IE)

Even BGR has gotten in on the BBOS is stale bandwagon... but seriously, what do you need the OS to do? It supports preemptive multitasking, Java's garbage collection and memory segregation (obviously), robust and reasonably finely grained access controls (with central management, though mandatory labels would be nice), and a network stack that can deal with a surprising number of environments with little to no modification. More subjectively, it is lean, stable, and quick.

So I guess... I'm curious why is the BBOS dated? What functionality do you feel that it lacks?

Cheers.
    07-02-09 05:10 AM
    It is dated when compared to the other consumer geared smartphones out there. Application support is limited (by design, but most dont get that) and while RIM does have the ability to secure practically any OS they want (through the use of certificates and encryption methods they possess), the java based OS has been a phenomenal success for them.
    07-02-09 05:26 AM
    I get, compared to the other smartphones... but in what way?

What great OS feature does Windows CE, OS X, or WebOS have that BBOS lacks? "Application support" is just so vague.
    07-02-09 05:49 AM
    I don't know how many references to the BBOS being stale or obsolete I've seen lately... but as someone who has spent a good portion of their career involved with OS design (on the security end, but still) , I just don't see what these claims are based upon.

All I can think is that these people are confusing things like the GUI, the web browser, and other applications for part of the OS (much like people used to with the Windows GUI and IE)

Even BGR has gotten in on the BBOS is stale bandwagon... but seriously, what do you need the OS to do? It supports preemptive multitasking, Java's garbage collection and memory segregation (obviously), robust and reasonably finely grained access controls (with central management, though mandatory labels would be nice), and a network stack that can deal with a surprising number of environments with little to no modification. More subjectively, it is lean, stable, and quick.

So I guess... I'm curious why is the BBOS dated? What functionality do you feel that it lacks?

Cheers.
    The biggest complaints I hear are GUI and ease of app development.

GUI is subjective. Ease of App Development might be more empirical.
    07-02-09 05:53 AM
    i just came across, and read, this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/blac...o-razr-256043/

Pretty good discussion on the same topic.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-09 06:08 AM
    I like the GUI, simple and to the point without all those resource wasting animations. As for the App Development, I think that has more to do with what RIM publishes than the OS. The apps seem straighforward as well, though dumb/incomplete documentation is an issue (though becoming less of one... somewhat).

As for the Razr thread, I read it, even replied to it... didn't see anything compelling in it and it inspired this thread. To try and find more specific answers.

Also, I found myself ponder OS5 and thinking "That's it?... wait, what else did I want?" And I was reminded that nearly every attribute that makes something a good tool, make it a bad toy. Do these OS complaints go deeper than this?
    07-02-09 06:28 AM
    Do these OS complaints go deeper than this?
    Probably not in a CBerry forum...imho a majority of posters here are not as aware of the functionality and features of various OS' as needed to formulate an opinion.
    07-02-09 06:57 AM
    Way to say the majority of posters are too stupid to form opinions. Lol
    I don't know much, but the fact that I don't have more cool apps like a compass and a level tell me the OS is crap.
    Last edited by jason0423; 07-02-09 at 07:33 AM.
    07-02-09 07:30 AM
    Excellent, excellent points bumbles and jason!

A compass would be kinda cool... I mean, I've not used one in prolly 20 years, but now that the iphone has one, I kinda want one. Bless capitalism and its endless cycle of creation and satisfaction of new needs!
    07-02-09 07:42 AM
    Way to say the majority of posters are too stupid to form opinions. Lol
    I don't know much, but the fact that I don't have more cool apps like a compass and a level tell me the OS is crap.
    Not calling anybody "too stupid"...I was pointing out that most posters here are of a more 'social networking' mindset and that a discussion of various OS' is of a more 'technical' nature.
    There are several posters who have been involved in the development, design and implementation end of OS' but the vast majority of people on CBerry don't have opinions on any OS as evidenced by the lack of comments to the OP.
    I don't know if you're kidding about needing a compass or a level, but as stated in an earlier post the RIM OS is limited by choice.
    Last edited by bumblesbounce; 07-02-09 at 07:55 AM.
    07-02-09 07:53 AM
    Perhaps the biggest dated piece of the BB OS is the 5MB application limit. I've used a majority of the current phones, and the BB meets my needs for business use, but I can't beleive that in 2009 with a 1GB device with an 8GB SD card I am limited to a handful of applications.

Once I put on weather, facebook, pandora, WSJ and a couple of others, I'm full. RIM's OS may be "all business" but even the average business user will put on these basics. In 5 major OS revisions I can't beleive this limit, and recurring memory leaks are still plaguing BB.
    07-02-09 09:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD