Why, you get Chrome out of the box.
    Exactly! Not that there's anything wrong with that. I just prefer the BB10 UI and any offerings that bring that over to android make android a better experience.
    I downloaded firefox and it's fine but if the BB10 browser was available I'd be using that. Just my preference as I'm sure it is with many others.
    It would likely be more popular if they renamed it to something like ... ' this isn't BlackBerry so it's cool to use it '.
    01-24-17 08:17 PM
    Exactly! Not that there's anything wrong with that. I just prefer the BB10 UI and any offerings that bring that over to android make android a better experience.
    I downloaded firefox and it's fine but if the BB10 browser was available I'd be using that. Just my preference as I'm sure it is with many others.
    It would likely be more popular if they renamed it to something like ... ' this isn't BlackBerry so it's cool to use it '.
    It would have to be as functional as other browsers. In other words, less about the name and more about functionality.
    Last edited by Tre Lawrence; 01-25-17 at 06:09 AM.
    01-25-17 12:11 AM
    Some BB10 fans here still cling to the myth that every time an android user buys a new android phone - they have to start from scratch all over again. Neglecting the fact that android has a backup feature that allows you to create a backup profile of your old phone and load it to your new device (including frequently used apps) and that the Google Play store actually keep a list of the apps that a user had installed on their devices. Which eliminate the need to search the Play Store all over again. And that android phones usually have the basic apps installed such as the calendar, email client and sms/chat apps.
    True.

All Android phones (to my knowledge) come preinstalled with Google Apps. That would include Gmail (email /social feeds) Hangouts / Messenger (sms / mms), Chrome (web browser), and with Android 6.0.0 and up, a file manager exists in settings - storage - explore.

I don't own a Priv or DTEK, but I'd assume they have the above apps installed, along side the BlackBerry bloat.
    Ronindan likes this.
    01-25-17 02:06 AM
    I've had much better experience (performance wise) with browsers from other platforms such as my android (Samsung tablet). I believe this is due to the deep underpinning (webkit) of BB10's being outdated.

In fact, alternative browsers from BBWorld won't make much difference as they are only a front-end for the outdated webkit.

PP SE - 10.3.2.2876/SR .2836  < α∂∂ι¢т > 
    01-25-17 04:13 AM
    If and when the browser let's me down I will be on a mobile share plan. That means a tablet will be tethered for browsing. I'll win with a bigger screen and faster proc.

Sent from one of my SE Passports using BB10 superior software.
    01-25-17 07:54 AM
    Some BB10 fans here still cling to the myth that every time an android user buys a new android phone - they have to start from scratch all over again. Neglecting the fact that android has a backup feature that allows you to create a backup profile of your old phone and load it to your new device (including frequently used apps) and that the Google Play store actually keep a list of the apps that a user had installed on their devices. Which eliminate the need to search the Play Store all over again. And that android phones usually have the basic apps installed such as the calendar, email client and sms/chat apps.
    And that works completely offline...?

;-D

•   Happy Australia Day everyone.... :-D   •
    01-25-17 04:37 PM
    The BB10 browser is so horribly outdated and slow that they would essentially have to start from scratch again anyway.
    Honestly dude, you keep saying this. What are you referring to specifically?

BB10 browser is fast and snappy for me and if I find some video or something not working, I just quickly switch to Zeus.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-17 04:41 PM
    Honestly dude, you keep saying this. What are you referring to specifically?

BB10 browser is fast and snappy for me and if I find some video or something not working, I just quickly switch to Zeus.

Posted via CB10
    Compare it to any modern browser and you will see. Javascript scores are painfully low. Very, very old webkit browser.
    01-25-17 04:51 PM
    Compare it to any modern browser and you will see. Javascript scores are painfully low. Very, very old webkit browser.
    Any modern browser? Can you be specific?

Comparing it to Chrome on my home workstation, an Intel Xeon E5645 @ 2.40 GHZ with 12GB of RAM, I really don't notice a huge difference in speed. Nothing that I would call painfully slow.

Comparing to the default browser on girlfriends iPhone 6s, I also don't notice any speed difference.

Stop being a biased hater.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-17 06:18 PM
    Stop being a biased hater.

Posted via CB10
    I have no issue with the BB10 browser. It does the job. I miss syncing with my other browsers though.

The question was essentially, "should BlackBerry divert a team of developers to build a native Android browser based on a very old webkit engine?"

The long version of my answer was "why would you ever want to do that, what would this offer the Android community, and what possible business case can be made for it?" BlackBerry would have to start from complete scratch to make it even remotely compelling.
    01-25-17 06:39 PM
    ill just leave this here, hopefully a few get the joke

BlackBerry OS 10 Web Browser for all platforms?-capture.jpg
    app_Developer, cribble2k and co4nd like this.
    01-25-17 06:41 PM
    I get 520 on Android Chrome.
    01-25-17 06:44 PM
    In fairness, it is still ahead of Safari though at 383 on iOS 10. But I agree, it is dated.
    01-25-17 06:57 PM
    I have no issue with the BB10 browser. It does the job. I miss syncing with my other browsers though.

The question was essentially, "should BlackBerry divert a team of developers to build a native Android browser based on a very old webkit engine?"

The long version of my answer was "why would you ever want to do that, what would this offer the Android community, and what possible business case can be made for it?" BlackBerry would have to start from complete scratch to make it even remotely compelling.
    I agree that the OP's idea does not make sense, but there's no need to go around acting as if the BB10 browser is some useless pile of of garbage. I've seen you bash it in other threads as well.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-17 07:31 PM
    I agree that the OP's idea does not make sense, but there's no need to go around acting as if the BB10 browser is some useless pile of of garbage. I've seen you bash it in other threads as well.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not afraid to be honest about it, that's true.

Apart from a few certificates, it hasn't seen any significant development in 3 years - a lifetime in technology. Tough to put a positive spin on that.
    01-25-17 07:35 PM
    I'm not afraid to be honest about it, that's true.

Apart from a few certificates, it hasn't seen any significant development in 3 years - a lifetime in technology. Tough to put a positive spin on that.
    I see no problems with it. If something needs flash, I just use Zeus, which is identical. What problems do you encounter?

Posted via CB10
    YesAndNo likes this.
    01-25-17 07:41 PM
    I see no problems with it. If something needs flash, I just use Zeus, which is identical. What problems do you encounter?

Posted via CB10
    4 things off the top of my head:

Lack of user agents make many sites tough to render and/or play html5 content.

Lack of syncing options is a big problem.

Javascript speeds are atrocious.

Filling web forms can be a challenge.
    01-25-17 07:54 PM
    4 things off the top of my head:

Lack of user agents make many sites tough to render and/or play html5 content.

Javascript speeds are atrocious.

Filling web forms can be a challenge.
    I've encountered none of those issues. Perhaps it's something on your end.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-17 07:56 PM
    I've encountered none of those issues. Perhaps it's something on your end.

Posted via CB10
    Lol. OK.
    01-25-17 07:57 PM
    This here. Major issue for me, and enough to make me pick another platform for daily driver.
    01-25-17 08:25 PM
    I'm on my 3rd Android phone, and all them have had email, browser, calendar, and file manager preinstalled.
    I've been on 2 (plus some tablets) and while they all had those apps, I've always found issues compared with the way ios, BB10 and even WP handle things.

On android devices, I've always had 2 browsers and 2 email clients by default. On my Asus tablet, there are 2 file managers, one (Astro) ad supported and yet cannot be removed. There are 3 "photo gallery" apps, all of which serve the same purpose. The Google calendar doesn't work with yahoo (maybe that's a plus). It goes on...and this is all "out of the box".

I love having choices, but I hate having to hunt for apps to do the basics in a consistent way. Granted maybe this is due to the way certain brands customize everything, but that's part of the problem. On an iPhone, I know what to use for a browser. On WP email is not an issue. On BlackBerry, the hub has everything there. On android? It feels like someone just slapped together whatever apps they could find and threw them onto the device. Yes it works, but it feels so clunky.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-17 09:14 PM
    I've been on 2 (plus some tablets) and while they all had those apps, I've always found issues compared with the way ios, BB10 and even WP handle things.

On android devices, I've always had 2 browsers and 2 email clients by default. On my Asus tablet, there are 2 file managers, one (Astro) ad supported and yet cannot be removed. There are 3 "photo gallery" apps, all of which serve the same purpose. The Google calendar doesn't work with yahoo (maybe that's a plus). It goes on...and this is all "out of the box".

I love having choices, but I hate having to hunt for apps to do the basics in a consistent way. Granted maybe this is due to the way certain brands customize everything, but that's part of the problem. On an iPhone, I know what to use for a browser. On WP email is not an issue. On BlackBerry, the hub has everything there. On android? It feels like someone just slapped together whatever apps they could find and threw them onto the device. Yes it works, but it feels so clunky.

Posted via CB10
    I can see your point.

I've been using Android so long that it's different for me -- I've used the same apps for years. Everything else gets disabled (or removed if it's device I rooted).

When I get a new device, the swap is seamless. I tend to avoid OEM stock apps though.
    01-25-17 10:30 PM
    Definitely appreciate the flexibility that you get with Android though...no complaints there. I just hate that the out-of-the-box experience is so...clunky. That may be different on different devices though.
    YesAndNo likes this.
    01-26-17 05:38 PM
    The BB10 Browser is amazingly fast and smooth since the latest update to OS 10.3.3!

Posted via CB10
    01-27-17 09:10 AM
    The BB10 Browser is amazingly fast and smooth since the latest update to OS 10.3.3!

Posted via CB10
    That is either placebo, or new OS install effect. They really haven't done anything to the browser except for some security certificates.
    01-27-17 09:44 AM
50 12