I thought it was just U.S. nonsense, but seems Canadian banks are dropping BlackBerry 10 apps, as well. For all it's security, why is BlackBerry letting iOS eat its lunch in mobile banking? Or is this just the slow death of OS 10? Just cutting bait, and using Android Pay?

BlackBerry ought to be owning this; the hard work is done. Make the BlackBerry Pay app and let us get on with secure mobile/NFC payments. Masterpass approved, Paywave approved, but can't get an app because my bank's BlackBerry mobile app is a bookmark to their website!

I read all these press releases from 2011-2014 about BlackBerry driving the mobile payment market. What happened? I probably will have a flying car in my garage and Rosie the Robot in my kitchen before I can NFC pay in the US.

What am I missing??
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-14-17 09:53 PM
    I thought it was just U.S. nonsense, but seems Canadian banks are dropping BlackBerry 10 apps, as well. For all it's security, why is BlackBerry letting iOS eat its lunch in mobile banking? Or is this just the slow death of OS 10? Just cutting bait, and using Android Pay?
    Slow death.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-14-17 10:50 PM
    02-14-17 11:01 PM
    Banks support the phones that most people use. It's no different than the decision to place ATM's where there is the most foot traffic. Same idea.

Android Pay should work quite well on the Mercury. I think it works on DTEK 50/60, although admittedly many banks probably don't include them in tests.
    02-14-17 11:18 PM
    My bank isn't on Pay yet, but they promised "soon". Their app did always work on BB10 without patching, which was nice.
    02-14-17 11:24 PM
    A solution to thats, is to make a homescreen shortcut from your bank mobile site.

Start with the native browser,. Than seach your banking sites, go the mobile or online banking service. When there, Look around if a mobile version of this page is available.

Than at the bottom of the screen. Select the three points (right corner) key.-Select "ADD to homescreen"

Congratulation you just made your first shortcut!

Posted via CB10
    02-15-17 12:03 AM
    A solution to thats, is to make a homescreen shortcut from your bank mobile site.
    How is that a solution to mobile payments - i.e., using NFC on your phone to pay at a check-out terminal instead of your credit card?
    02-15-17 02:17 AM
    How is that a solution to mobile payments - i.e., using NFC on your phone to pay at a check-out terminal instead of your credit card?
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    02-15-17 02:26 AM

BlackBerry ought to be owning this; the hard work is done. Make the BlackBerry Pay app and let us get on with secure mobile/NFC payments. Masterpass approved, Paywave approved, but can't get an app because my bank's BlackBerry mobile app is a bookmark to their website!

I read all these press releases from 2011-2014 about BlackBerry driving the mobile payment market. What happened? I probably will have a flying car in my garage and Rosie the Robot in my kitchen before I can NFC pay in the US.

What am I missing??
    For one, app security and network communication security is the same regardless of OS. When you use your banking app, the network traffic between the app and the bank is secured exactly the same (depending on the app implementation) regardless of OS.

BB10 doesn't add any magical additional security layer around the app.
    02-15-17 04:29 AM
    I don't understand why a bank should waste money in an irrelevant OS: BB 10 isn't much more popular than Android 2 (yes, 2).
    02-15-17 05:03 AM
    Perhaps Blackberry software should develop it's own "wallet" app as microsoft did:

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=9XrwJfIG

Because some of BlackBerry gurus told on this forum than QNX will long last for entreprises needs.

Posted via CB10
    02-15-17 06:10 AM
    I don't understand why a bank should waste money in an irrelevant OS: BB 10 isn't much more popular than Android 2 (yes, 2).
    Which Android 2? Eclair? Froyo? Gingerbread?
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    02-15-17 06:46 AM

What am I missing??
    If BlackBerry was a software company you would probably see a greater emphasis on this sort of thing.
    02-15-17 07:30 AM
    Which Android 2? Eclair? Froyo? Gingerbread?
    You're asking too much now, I don't like to talk about the dead.
    02-15-17 08:04 AM
    BMO still works. And I'd rather not use my phone to pay. Tapping with my black Mastercard takes 1 second. But that's just me.

Posted via CB10
    02-15-17 08:13 AM
    That's the standard response to there isn't an App for BB10... make a webpage shortcut.

But yeah no comparison to the functionality of most apps.... but then if they have never used a real smartphone, how would they understand what is possible. Still don't see it a lot, other than at Target... as they have linked payments with rewards and to get most the rewards you have to scan items with your phone, so payment with your phone is sort part of the process. Do wonder what percentage of Target business is still Cash, Check or even Credit Card vs their Red Card.
    02-15-17 08:16 AM
    Tapping with my black Mastercard takes 1 second
    Yep, me too. Too much hassle with a phone IMHO.
    02-15-17 08:19 AM
    If BlackBerry was a software company you would probably see a greater emphasis on this sort of thing.
    BlackBerry the software company needs to turn a profit too. Developing for BB10 makes little sense for them as it does for anyone else.
    02-15-17 10:14 AM
    This is one of the reasons why BlackBerry couldn't compete in the mobile OS market. You need a lot of market clout in order to get banks and retailers on board for electronic payments because nobody wants to give up control over the transaction. Big retailers like WalMart are still holding out and favoring their own system even though it's not as convenient for the customer.

There are a lot of people - think female students - who don't carry wallets but always carry their smartphones. Nobody is saying that smartphones are going to replace credit cards any more than credit cards have replaced checks or checks have replaced cash, but this is where it's going. Think about it next time you are standing in line at the grocery store behind someone who is writing a check because it's easy for them and that's the way they have always done it.
    02-15-17 10:36 AM
    If you want to use mobile banking apps and pay with your phone, you might be happier with a mainstream platform like iOS or Android.

I take a different attitude. I still prefer BB10, and have no interest in using my phone to pay for things. I also don't mind using my bank's ATMs for depositing checks. For checking balances, transfers, online payments, etc, I am 100% happy with my bank's mobile Web site on my phone.

Posted via CB10
    02-15-17 11:02 AM
    "BlackBerry OS 10 mobile banking?"

While it's a bummer that Canadian banks don't want to support a Canadian OS, it's simply because the banks would rather focus on the sheer number of users on Android and iOS. Luckily for me, I've never cared or been interested in using my phone to pay for things.
    02-15-17 08:51 PM
    Think about it next time you are standing in line at the grocery store behind someone who is writing a check because it's easy for them and that's the way they have always done it.
    02-15-17 09:38 PM
    BMO still works. And I'd rather not use my phone to pay. Tapping with my black Mastercard takes 1 second. But that's just me.

Posted via CB10
    ....using my black Visa takes 1 second too..... but it takes me 3 mins to find my wallet (under truck seat)... 1 minute more to find the d##n Visa among all the expired coffee cards....PP in hand... that takes 1 second too.
    02-16-17 12:12 AM
    I remember way back when... when mobile videochat was becoming a thing. On CB, folks would state how much easier it was to "just call."

All things being equal, lack of options is NEVER a good thing.
    02-16-17 01:19 AM
    This is one of the reasons why BlackBerry couldn't compete in the mobile OS market. You need a lot of market clout in order to get banks and retailers on board for electronic payments because nobody wants to give up control over the transaction. Big retailers like WalMart are still holding out and favoring their own system even though it's not as convenient for the customer.

There are a lot of people - think female students - who don't carry wallets but always carry their smartphones. Nobody is saying that smartphones are going to replace credit cards any more than credit cards have replaced checks or checks have replaced cash, but this is where it's going. Think about it next time you are standing in line at the grocery store behind someone who is writing a check because it's easy for them and that's the way they have always done it.
    You've been on BlackBerry long enough to know that the stuff common on other platforms suck... till we get em.

Tools, not toys.
    02-16-17 01:22 AM
31 12