Well it seems your in the minority on your opinion of Chen. He's not going anywhere soon.
    He WILL go!!

Posted via CB10
    10-10-16 07:13 PM
    He WILL go!!

Posted via CB10
    I hope you're prepared to buy out Fairfax then because 1
    Watsa was who hired him and he seems fine with the direction.

10-10-16 07:18 PM
    I hope you're prepared to buy out Fairfax then because 1
    Watsa was who hired him and he seems fine with the direction. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/i 20...fc2190bcab.jpg
    Watsa is a share holder he has to also answer to the board of Fairfax .

Posted via CB10
    10-10-16 07:20 PM
    Watsa is a share holder he has to also answer to the board of Fairfax .

Posted via CB10
    Very true but you have to admit the odds of Chen getting fired are slim. If BlackBerry is sold off for a nice profit Fairfax will gain handsomely. I think their board will keep quiet on this one. If they get out now it's at a big loss. They're pretty much stuck I believe. I personally believe this plan is designed to sell the company off for whatever profit can be had. Let's be real. It's easier to cut costs and sell the company than try to turn it around especially with BlackBerry's risk averse board of directors. If anything be mad at them. They're the ones who panicked.
    10-10-16 07:27 PM
    Very true but you have to admit the odds of Chen getting fired are slim. If BlackBerry is sold off for a nice profit Fairfax will gain handsomely. I think their board will keep quiet on this one. If they get out now it's at a big loss. They're pretty much stuck I believe. I personally believe this plan is designed to sell the company off for whatever profit can be had. Let's be real. It's easier to cut costs and sell the company than try to turn it around especially with BlackBerry's risk averse board of directors. If anything be mad at them. They're the ones who panicked.
    That's precisely what I said, prop and prep for a quick sale. Chen has done NOTHING for BlackBerry. I know the Chennites are upset by the truth.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-16 07:35 PM
    The design team (May they rest in peace) really do deserve praise. Even the Q10 feels great in the hand when compared with Samsung phones.

Posted via CB10
    acovey and 3_M4N like this.
    10-10-16 07:44 PM
    I resoundly agree 100%, Love rocking my Q10! Live on baby!!

Posted via CB10
    10-10-16 07:59 PM
    That's precisely what I said, prop and prep for a quick sale. Chen has done NOTHING for BlackBerry. I know the Chennites are upset by the truth.

Posted via CB10
    I wouldn't say he's done nothing. He's bought some companies which is a viable strategy. WatchDox and good were good acquisitions I think. The Blackberry Radar is also something developed under Chen. If like phones BlackBerry is not a company most here will care about and they're ok with that. You weren't profitable anyway. They're hoping to get away from consumer facing products. Consumers are to hard to please for a company with BlackBerry's budget.
    10-10-16 08:08 PM
    I wouldn't say he's done nothing. He's bought some companies which is a viable strategy. WatchDox and good were good acquisitions I think. The Blackberry Radar is also something developed under Chen. If like phones BlackBerry is not a company most here will care about and they're ok with that. You weren't profitable anyway. They're hoping to get away from consumer facing products. Consumers are to hard to please for a company with BlackBerry's budget.
    No problem with that strategy any ***** could have done that however. It was no accomplishment . You failed to understand that software was only one part of the corporate equation. From the days of their pagers BlackBerry always offered their corporate clients the complete package. He removed the hardware from the corporate user. BB for the General public only was a recent phenomenon, which greatly helped them reach the height of success. Chen is inept.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-16 08:36 PM
    No problem with that strategy any ***** could have done that however. It was no accomplishment . You failed to understand that software was only one part of the corporate equation. From the days of their pagers BlackBerry always offered their corporate clients the complete package. He removed the hardware from the corporate user. BB for the General public only was a recent phenomenon, which greatly helped them reach the height of success. Chen is inept.

Posted via CB10
    Well lots of corporations chose not to get the complete package even when BlackBerry had it on offer. Many used androids and iPhones for years now. So it's no great loss to them.
    10-10-16 08:40 PM
    Why do why I say they are struggling?? Well ,remove the revenue obtained in the equation , from the Good Technology acquisition, see what you find with respect to the true picture of BlackBerry ' s finances on the Software side.
    So first, we agree on Chen's communication challenges. He should hire someone to help with that.

On the software side, though, I don't think you can just dismiss the acquisitions. Good was a good acquisition, and is now part of the offering. He should get credit for that.

But even beyond the acquisitions, he's on track to deliver 30% organic growth in software this year. That's a very solid number, wouldn't you agree? The margins there are very strong, and so when he's rid of the losing parts of the business, this could well be a strong, growing company again.
    10-10-16 08:58 PM
    So first, we agree on Chen's communication challenges. He should hire someone to help with that.

On the software side, though, I don't think you can just dismiss the acquisitions. Good was a good acquisition, and is now part of the offering. He should get credit for that.

But even beyond the acquisitions, he's on track to deliver 30% organic growth in software this year. That's a very solid number, wouldn't you agree? The margins there are very strong, and so when he's rid of the losing parts of the business, this could well be a strong, growing company again.
    It's a shell of what BlackBerry was. Growth? Growth through what exactly? The captive clientele from the acquisition? Without the acquisition of Good Technology there has been contraction of the "software side".

Chen needs to GO.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-16 09:05 PM
    The design team (May they rest in peace) really do deserve praise. Even the Q10 feels great in the hand when compared with Samsung phones.
    Great praise after the fact. When the Z10 and Q10 came out, there was nothing but complaints about builds and stories of returns... Oh, but they're solid now, after they fixed things. Well, well, let's market the crap out of them and get that market share back!
    10-10-16 11:18 PM
    First off ,Chen as you said is not a big communicator. Secondly when he opens his mouth more uncertainty and complete lack of commitment is what pours out. He has been singing soon after his debut that he will be shutting down hardware if x y or z happens, this is NOT how you show confidence nor commitment. He introduced the Android device catering to a niche market within a niche market. He killed BlackBerry 10 and continues to string the user base along with a long overdue software update.
    Chen should paint a pretty picture, regardless of how things are actually going to show confidence and commitment... but at the same time, stop stringing customers along?!

Why do why I say they are struggling?? Well ,remove the revenue obtained in the equation , from the Good Technology acquisition, see what you find with respect to the true picture of BlackBerry ' s finances on the Software side.

He has fired all developmental employees in the company, how can you spur growth with all the innovation now gone with them.

Chen knows nothing about BlackBerry nor is he interested in finding out. His goal is to prep and prop it for a quick sale. No long term plan for its resurgence.
    Quick sale could have happened long ago, without Chen. Perhaps the goal is to raise company value so it can command a higher price. That's legitimate for shareholders.

What can the next CEO do? Repair the damage done, though too late for hardware but at least get BlackBerry back to its roots, a leader in Technology where Research in Motion meant something.
    Easier said than done and much easier when you don't have to do it yourself, 'cause there will just be another CEO who did it wrong...
    10-10-16 11:31 PM
    BlackBerry enthusiast are ALL different:

-the ones who want a 9900 again
    -the ones who want only pkb
    -the ones who want just the BlackBerry logo on it, no matter what's the OS
    -the ones who want it to be Android because OS10 is a failuer
    -the ones who want it to be OS10 because Android lags and datamines
    -the ones who are already on Apple or Samsung but they remember the old times

You can continue...

Posted via CB10
    There are reasonable BlackBerry fans who want a complete lineup of both VKB + PKB. Companies must have different solutions for different types of customers. I personally like PKB and would never buy a VKB-only BlackBerry, that doesn't mean I don't want them to release VKBs. As a matter of fact I keep criticizing their stupidity because they released the Priv with a PKB.

One must have some sense to be able to separate what works for himself and what works for the masses. VKB sells, PKB doesn't. I think they should concentrate mainly on VKBs with different ranges and then release one PKB device in the mid to high range.
    10-11-16 12:57 AM
    Well lots of corporations chose not to get the complete package even when BlackBerry had it on offer. Many used androids and iPhones for years now. So it's no great loss to them.
    And what of the those who NEED it?? No great loss, yeah.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-16 07:01 AM
    Chen came along when BlackBerry was burning BILLIONS a quarter... he did some tough love to get things under control and buy BlackBerry time. BB10 and Hardware were already a failure when he came along, there was no do over or reset and try again. It's pretty clear from the difficulties that BlackBerry, Windows, FireFox, Sailfish and even Tizen have faced, that there is no platform without users. And at this point there are no developers to build that platform, without users.

Is Chen a great communicator... no, he are someone always have to come back and explain or counter something he says. And to be honest, he says things that probably should be said. As for BlackBerry the software company... I remember a time when $500M a quarter was a goal, now its a dream. And the "turn around" has definitely taken much longer than was originally planned. But they currently do seem to be on track at this point. Just need hardware and BIS Service Fees to fade away and then we will see just what type of small company BlackBerry can be...
    10-11-16 07:29 AM
    Chen came along when BlackBerry was burning BILLIONS a quarter... he did some tough love to get things under control and buy BlackBerry time. BB10 and Hardware were already a failure when he came along, there was no do over or reset and try again. It's pretty clear from the difficulties that BlackBerry, Windows, FireFox, Sailfish and even Tizen have faced, that there is no platform without users. And at this point there are no developers to build that platform, without users.

Is Chen a great communicator... no, he are someone always have to come back and explain or counter something he says. And to be honest, he says things that probably should be said. As for BlackBerry the software company... I remember a time when $500M a quarter was a goal, now its a dream. And the "turn around" has definitely taken much longer than was originally planned. But they currently do seem to be on track at this point. Just need hardware and BIS Service Fees to fade away and then we will see just what type of small company BlackBerry can be...

As for the OP.... sure folks are inserted in the phones still, they are unique. But they don't run on Verizon and apps is apps, nothing has chanced other than BB10 is EOL and by the end of the year so will hardware in general be....
    10-11-16 07:31 AM
    Chen is an operations guy. He is not deeply versed in software or hardware but he understands enough to manage the financial strategy so it starts to turn around. If you study his decisions he made several to increase or sustain cash flow until he could get a clear view of what direction BlackBerry would take. That is what he was hired to do.

We may not like where the company is now but at least the picture is becoming clear. I do agree he lacks the slick communication double talk of many executives but I do not think it belies his intelligence in regards to running the company.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-16 07:40 AM
    And what of the those who NEED it?? No great loss, yeah.

Posted via CB10
    Those that need it aren't enough to make a profit. Look we understand you don't like the direction the company is going. I'm not so sure it's a good direction myself. All I'm saying is it's too soon to say Chen is a failure. BB10 was years late and badly marketed. All that happened before Chen. He didn't correct those problems but that likely wasn't the instructions he was given. I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you're upset about devices ending your quarrel doesn't lay with Chen. He just did the dirty job no one wanted to.
    TgeekB likes this.
    10-11-16 07:53 AM
    Those that need it aren't enough to make a profit. Look we understand you don't like the direction the company is going. I'm not so sure it's a good direction myself. All I'm saying is it's too soon to say Chen is a failure. BB10 was years late and badly marketed. All that happened before Chen. He didn't correct those problems but that likely wasn't the instructions he was given. I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you're upset about devices ending your quarrel doesn't lay with Chen. He just did the dirty job no one wanted to.
    He is a F A I L U R E!! Direction they are going?? Where is that down?? Chen hasn't done ANYTHING for BlackBerry except destroy it.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-16 08:06 AM
    He is a F A I L U R E!! Direction they are going?? Where is that down?? Chen hasn't done ANYTHING for BlackBerry except destroy it.

Posted via CB10
    I think you're too attached to devices. I say let's see where the strategy goes. If the company folds then it was a catalog of errors that caused it not just Chen alone.
    TgeekB likes this.
    10-11-16 08:16 AM
    Great praise after the fact. When the Z10 and Q10 came out, there was nothing but complaints about builds and stories of returns... Oh, but they're solid now, after they fixed things. Well, well, let's market the crap out of them and get that market share back!
    What did they fix on the Q10?

Posted via CB10
    10-11-16 10:15 AM
    I think you're too attached to devices. I say let's see where the strategy goes. If the company folds then it was a catalog of errors that caused it not just Chen alone.
    It's Chen's responsibility like it or not. Not Mike or Jim or Thors.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-16 10:25 AM
    A friend invited me to a family function, where there were a number of people from various walks of life. It so happened at my table was another BlackBerry Enthusiast. I was just about to shoot video of the function with my newly purchase PPSE, when I heard someone exclaimed "that's a BlackBerry ".
    So here I am, ready to school yet another person on the benefits of BlackBerry ownership, when she holds out her hand showing me her Priv. Then she begins to explain why she loves BlackBerry, to my brother (a former Android and current Windows user, who will be looking for a new OS home, soon). The poor guy, had heard it countless times from me and has been looking to win the Classic in the CrackBerry Giveaway.

Funny thing is being with Verizon, she never had the opportunity to hold a Passport in hand. So I slipped it out of it's Seidio Case, showing the "Full Monty" of the Silver Edition, placing it in her hands. She went on "how this must be the new BlackBerry and how she really was taken by the feel of it". I explained to her that this device was about 2 years older than hers, which she found hard to believe. And went on to explain to me how she'd used BlackBerry previously, for years and came back because of the Priv allowed her to return to BlackBerry on Android. But truthfully, she was really taken in by what the Passport Silver Edition had to offer? I understood her exactly, for it was just 3-4 months prior that I was able for the first time to find and hold the Classic, after insisting that a Verizon Sales Rep.,retrieve the last sample from a closed drawer under the display case (after she mistakenly admitted to still having one). And I'm not with Verizon, but couldn't locate one at AT&T nor T-Mobile. And the feel in my hand was infinitely greater than any picture online I had seem since it's launch. And that's why I purchased my PPSE, because if the Classic felt that impressive, I could only imagine what the Passport would be, and I wasn't wrong. And within the 2 weeks that I had it, I've changed other folks' impression of what BlackBerry is.
    It basically shows, that there are more folks that would buy BlackBerry if they were exposed to what BlackBerry had to offer. And history will show despite what's been said by the Powers That Be at BB, the inability to put the product in the hands of the consumer (whether because of marketing, availability, or pricing) is what really failed BlackBerry.
    100 percent agree with this.

I saw pictures of the passport online and read about its specs but never really appreciated the phone until I actually held one in my hand and saw it in action.

Ridiculously nice device.

If only Chen had rolled it out properly and hadn't gutted BlackBerry world. Can you imagine if the Passport had been the target device for the Z10 rollout? Or even the Z30.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-16 10:38 AM
56 123