Like it or not, the iPhone X notch had became a trend. Not only it serves a function, but it helped the iPhone instantly being recognized in a sea of devices that are all identical.

Before the X, few manufacturers had the courage of including a notch. Now everyone wants one.

If BB ever release another device (by themselves of through TCL), should it have a notch? If it does, would you buy it?
    If its going to be bezel-less design then it will need a notch, otherwise there is no point. Bezel-less and PKBs seem like an off pairing but it could allow for a better aspect ratio... realistically I don't think it's in the TCL game plan but if it is just look at their Alcatel device.
    12-14-18 11:42 AM
    Notches are disgusting and most importantly absolutely useless. They add no value whatsoever. It's the stupidest trend of tech history, and it'll soon be gone when everyone realizes that the obsession with higher screen to body ratios is taking us nowhere.
    12-24-18 08:40 AM
    Notch is in anyway not a hindrance. My son has iPhone x and he tells me the notch helps in figuring out which end of the device is the top.
    I have not used any device other than BlackBerry and if TCL / BBRY comes up with notch I will not mind it at all.
    BlackBerry Physical Keyboard will show ya the bottom.
    12-24-18 09:46 AM
    I would not buy a phone with that notch.

I think it's stupid.

Yes, I said it. It's stupid. No reason for it. And all the other OEMs who followed it are stupid. Even on the Essential which had it BEFORE the iPhone X, it looks stupid.

It looks like a design screw-up, like the only reason was to "say" the screen is bigger.

I'm sorry, but screen shape integrity is more important to me. Nothing should ever cover up usable screen area. Period. I'm not as hung up on the size, or even the ratio, but all four edges have to remain intact.

While I'm at it - edge to edge screens - especially with curved edges - are also stupid.

I know - I have an S8. And the curved edges are a pain in the rear. Even with a case.

It's like usability and ergonomics has gone out the window for the sake of marketing blurbs. "Ooooh, look at what we can do now".

Sorry for the rant, but it was asked, and that's one of my buttons, and totally my own opinion.
    spot on, the market became an incremental development scene where the next step is always predictible. it's just about 'look what we can do'... even if it's stupid and nobody needs it

Posted via CB10
    12-24-18 09:55 AM
    If a notch is implemented as a way to "add" a small bit of extra space above the normal screen, so certain special icons and badges can be shown in that place, so as to not have to consume normal screen space, then could that be useful and innovative?

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    Please no notch! It is wasted space and annoying if they are trying to make more screen. If they want to use the real estate for icons they should be in reverse on black that goes all the way to the edges (in other words, no notch). I see no benefit to having a notch with regular screen on either side, that has icons . You can't see more of the screen clearly. Eyes don't work that way. And if the area is taken up with the icons it looks like a visor on a vehicle with a dirty windshield on either side. People don't look on both sides of a visor when when driving.
    12-24-18 01:44 PM
    Please no notch! It is wasted space and annoying if they are trying to make more screen. If they want to use the real estate for icons they should be in reverse on black that goes all the way to the edges (in other words, no notch). I see no benefit to having a notch with regular screen on either side, that has icons . You can't see more of the screen clearly. Eyes don't work that way. And if the area is taken up with the icons it looks like a visor on a vehicle with a dirty windshield on either side. People don't look on both sides of a visor when when driving.
    What the Notch has done is actually slightly increase the amount of content you can fit into the "usable" area.

E.g. If you look at a Samsung Galaxy Note9 and Huawei Mate 20 Pro, both feature a 6.4inch display, but the Mate 20 Pro has a Notch, the Notch allows the Notification icons to be moved into the "ears", meaning the actual display has more functional area.

You can actually see this in GSMArenas image of the 2 phones side-by-side.

The Mate 20 Pro manages to be smaller, yet still a 6.4inch display that can display more content, with a larger battery to:
    12-24-18 02:30 PM
    Notches are disgusting and most importantly absolutely useless. They add no value whatsoever. It's the stupidest trend of tech history, and it'll soon be gone when everyone realizes that the obsession with higher screen to body ratios is taking us nowhere.
    What’s your real honest opinion?
    12-24-18 02:51 PM
    What the Notch has done is actually slightly increase the amount of content you can fit into the "usable" area.

E.g. If you look at a Samsung Galaxy Note9 and Huawei Mate 20 Pro, both feature a 6.4inch display, but the Mate 20 Pro has a Notch, the Notch allows the Notification icons to be moved into the "ears", meaning the actual display has more functional area.

The Mate 20 Pro manages to be smaller, yet still a 6.4inch display that can display more content, with a larger battery to:
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...1965c66880.jpg
    Display more content? No it can't. That notch just takes up usable area. Run a video of a widescreen movie, and the notch physically reduces the visible width.

And with most apps, those status icons and information will hide and the app can use the whole screen.
    12-24-18 04:55 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...1965c66880.jpg
    I am not sure my comment was read. I suggested that if icons need to be on each side a notch (for the sake of a camera for example), then make that in a reverse (like dark theme--unified black across the top but with the icons showing in reverse on each side). People aren't wall-eyed and that is why I believe having the screen on both sides of the visor looks so odd and annoys people.
    12-24-18 05:39 PM
    Like it or not, the iPhone X notch had became a trend. Not only it serves a function, but it helped the iPhone instantly being recognized in a sea of devices that are all identical.

Before the X, few manufacturers had the courage of including a notch. Now everyone wants one.

If BB ever release another device (by themselves of through TCL), should it have a notch? If it does, would you buy it?
    Notch.....courage......funny.
    No headphone jack........ Courage.......funnier.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...cus_composer=0

Just a phase people.
    12-24-18 05:45 PM
    Display more content? No it can't. That notch just takes up usable area. Run a video of a widescreen movie, and the notch physically reduces the visible width.

And with most apps, those status icons and information will hide and the app can use the whole screen.
    It certainly has made a difference for me coming from a Note8, I got a Bigger Battery, more content in the display and all round better features while also getting a slightly larger display.

With that said I am looking forward to the day when they figure out how to hide Camera and other sensors under the display as they did this phone's Fingerprint Scanner, as both the Notch and In-screen Fingerprint Scanner have helped save a lot of space and put more stuff in.
    12-26-18 02:57 PM
111 ... 345