05-13-14 08:08 AM
195 123 ...
tools
    BlackBerry is really (UNOFFICIALLY) a niche device; it has long ceased to be in the same mobile device league as Apple and Samsung. Therefore it is rather futile to continue to compare BB10 phones to iPhones and Android phones because their respective consumers' preferences differ widely. For example BlackBerry users place more emphasis on emailing, messaging etc where as Apple and Samsung place emphasis on APPS and other social things.

If you are still preoccupied with BlackBerry's consumer market share or whether BB10 specs "on paper" are on par with Android phones and iPhones, rather than BB10 phones actual functionalities then IMHO you are barking up the wrong tree.

BlackBerry is running it's own "niche" race so if you don't like what you see now and is not willing to be patient, maybe you ought to seriously consider moving on. It might be quite a long haul and time before BlackBerry can be in the same mobile device consumer league with Apple and Samsung again, if ever.
    04-29-14 08:20 AM
    Amen.
    04-29-14 08:21 AM
    Agreed!
    But the complaints will continue on... And on... And on...

And on...
    Blacklatino likes this.
    04-29-14 08:40 AM
    You are saying what I wanted to say long ago

? Slicing using my ?
    04-29-14 08:44 AM
    But I must compare my device with other people's choice device and know that I am right and they are wrong. I shall make a post on crackberry asking why don't people like BlackBerry to get to the bottom of this.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-14 08:51 AM
    True story!

Posted via CB10
    04-29-14 08:52 AM
    I only compare my device when I realize I cant upgrade my device on AT&T
    04-29-14 08:57 AM
    But I must compare my device with other people's choice device and know that I am right and they are wrong. I shall make a post on crackberry asking why don't people like BlackBerry to get to the bottom of this.
    Too funny!
    Sarcasm noted.
    04-29-14 08:59 AM
    I agree. What I really care about is for BlackBerry to continue in the handset business.

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    04-29-14 09:02 AM
    It's MY Bentley...
    Ride or Die... LoL.
    04-29-14 09:02 AM
    BlackBerry is really (UNOFFICIALLY) a niche device; it has long ceased to be in the same mobile device league as Apple and Samsung. Therefore it is rather futile to continue to compare BB10 phones to iPhones and Android phones because their respective consumers' preferences differ widely. For example BlackBerry users place more emphasis on emailing, messaging etc where as Apple and Samsung place emphasis on APPS and other social things.

I'd quibble slightly about this - that sounds right but I think is wrong in many markets - for example, here in the UK, the real advantage of BB three or four years ago when they were at their peak was that they allowed parents to provide a cheap device and cheap data package to children - so the advantage they had wasn't the superiority of the OS for email - as the teenaged girls and the poor who were the core customers for cheap curves were doing so because of access to as much BBM as they liked for 5 a month - that was the advantage, one of cost. As data packages became cheaper and cheaper and now BBM has migrated to other platforms, those advantage disappeared or don't exist.

I think a lot of people have a vision of BBRY that doesn't match the reality - I'm sure there were still (and still are) high end customers using Bolds and the like but the vast majority of sales in the last three or four years has to be bottom-feeders - BBRY isn't a premium consumer brand anymore in that sense - it's one better know for cheap plastic low-end phones.

Or the short version - in many markets, the core function of email on bbry was irrelevant to the low-end customers they were attracting.
    04-29-14 09:06 AM
    Tools not toys.

Joking and I hate that slogan more than more than any marketing slogan I have ever heard in my life.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    04-29-14 09:23 AM

If you are still preoccupied with BlackBerry's consumer market share or whether BB10 specs "on paper" are on par with Android phones and iPhones, rather than BB10 phones actual functionalities then IMHO you are barking up the wrong tree.

BlackBerry is running it's own "niche" race so if you don't like what you see now and is not willing to be patient, maybe you ought to seriously consider moving on. It might be quite a long haul and time before BlackBerry can be in the same mobile device consumer league with Apple and Samsung again, if ever.
    I am not sure what old people have against applications. It just sounds weird to me. (I get media not apps)
    04-29-14 09:28 AM
    One word: "denial"

2009: Oh yes! We are king! Suck on that, everybody else, you suck! Your phones are nothing like our phones.

2014: BlackBerry doesn't want to be king, it doesn't need to. Their market is about productivity and it's always been. You can't compare Apple and Samsung to BlackBerry.
    04-29-14 09:31 AM

Posted via CB10
    Just curious why you must feel a need to compare your device choice after the fact? You should make your comparisons before you purchase your phone. Commitments shouldn't be taken lightly.
    04-29-14 09:32 AM
    I am not sure what old people have against applications. It just sounds weird to me. (I get media not apps)
    "old people" and believe it or not some "young people" don't have anything against applications, it is just they don't place too much emphasis on applications to get by with their daily needs.
    Last edited by wincyUt; 04-30-14 at 02:10 PM.
    04-29-14 09:37 AM
    "old people" and believe it not some "young people" don't have anything against applications, it is just they don't place too much emphasis on applications to get by with their daily needs.
    Let me remind you the word "apps" is an acronym of the word applications and became widely used due to a marketing campaign to have programs inside mobile devices, sound hip, and even seem more approachable to customers thus becoming the lingo fad we all recognize today. Also I don't know what ****** would compare it's phone and OS to any other ground but security. Thus why I criticize iPhone users for seeing anything else as inferior and why I criticize android users when they deem anything else as over expensive and useless. My blackberry has all the customer and enterprise apps I need and offers the security, openness and reliability other devices can't. It is that simple. People use their devices simply according to their needs.

Posted via z30 STA100-5 the only high end business device on the market
    CBCListener and JesseBabe23 like this.
    04-29-14 09:57 AM
    Yep. I'm fine with BlackBerry being a niche device. So long as it works well with my needs and fits my interests, I see no point on moving to other platforms.
    04-29-14 11:38 AM
    As a BlackBerry user & consumer, I let John Chen and his team to work it out and I'm very happy with these BB10 devices which is suit my needs.
    04-29-14 11:51 AM

Very well said and that is true in most cases. I just wish people would stop bashing the retail stores for having little to no inventory. It sucks but again why would a retail store stay stocked with product that sells every blue moon. I'm a huge blackberry user and I just accept the facts for what they are and go about my business plain and simple. Do I wish things were different for BlackBerry absolutely and I do hope they turn things around for the better!

Posted via CB10
    04-29-14 11:56 AM
    Yep. I'm fine with BlackBerry being a niche device. So long as it works well with my needs and fits my interests, I see no point on moving to other platforms.
    As a BlackBerry user & consumer, I let John Chen and his team to work it out and I'm very happy with these BB10 devices which is suit my needs.
    I assume you understand that BlackBerry will not survive "as is", so you will be moving on to other platforms or finding another device to suite your needs.... if BlackBerry DOESN'T figure out how to compete even in a small way with Apple & Samsung. They are already a NICHE Player... much more below 1% and they are out of the game.
    JesseBabe23 and eyesopen1111 like this.
    04-29-14 12:04 PM
    Would it be fair to say that although they are now a small niche player the niche SHOULD be bigger?

I'm not an app insane person, but I do like to play with my phone. I'm sure there are more people out there who, like me, could be completely satisfied with a BB10 phone, if only they knew it existed.

Posted via CB10
    Eugene Comiskey likes this.
    04-29-14 12:10 PM
    Not really understanding the OP's position.

How is BlackBerry email and messaging differentiated from that on other platforms? Other platforms offer better integration with a wider variety of messaging services. What makes BlackBerry email better? Not sure that there is any differentiating factor unless you are referring to the keyboard.

Productivity being the focus and somehow enhanced on the platform is also debatable. Android and IOS offer specialty/ industry specific applications that BlackBerry does not.

So while sounds good to fans. No real substance to the comment unless you are referring to keyboards.
    04-29-14 12:14 PM
    You don't segment the market based on what you can do, but what your customers want. So, if Blackberry can find enough users, going forward, that mostly text and email, don't use very many apps, don't consume much media, and most importantly get their smartphones from their employer, then they are in business.

However, isn't the Blackberry BES team going around telling employers that they will support any smartphone? Unless there's a special category of smartphone that can't be replaced, tomorrow, by an iPhone or an Android then they are in the same market.
    04-29-14 12:19 PM
    I assume you understand that BlackBerry will not survive "as is", so you will be moving on to other platforms or finding another device to suite your needs.... if BlackBerry DOESN'T figure out how to compete even in a small way with Apple & Samsung. They are already a NICHE Player... much more below 1% and they are out of the game.
    i'm gonna disagree. BB hasn't been making money on handsets for years. in addition, many manufacturers do not make enough money on handsets alone.
    to make it simpler, if dealers and auto shops only did oil changes and $20 oil changes only, they would not stay in business very long. if dry cleaners only offered business shirt clean for $1.50, and didnt do anything else, etc etc....

BlackBerry was scratched off the list YEARS ago, by many many people..
    My personal opinion, is that they will be ok 'as-is' and if they are not, they will down size, and down size, but they will still remain profitable, and will still offer their products and services to people like myself, for year and years to come.
    zephyr613 and acovey like this.
    04-29-14 12:28 PM
195 123 ...