Let's dream. Let's imagine a profitable product that makes everybody happy including Blackberry fans.

I propose a device manufactured by Nokia. The device would be running Android One of course.
    Powered with a Blackberry physical keyboard -under BlackBerry licence- would benefit of high end performance and a proven PKB.
    The device would take full advantage of a partnership BB-nokia in order to develop a software suite for running the PKB and fully integrate it into Android One.
    In addition, they would benefit on the experience of BlackBerry to develop ergonomic and balanced devices.
    No need of going deeper into security anymore. Android One is secure enough.

This device would be just one model of Nokia, not a new brand. Focused on business people and fans, would reach a market segment big enough for sustainability. It would be the perfect device for Blackberry enterprise services user as well, I mean, some big corporations.

What do you think about this idea?
    01-21-20 10:41 AM
    That if Nokia had any interest, they would have already licensed BB Secure with PKB at this point. I’m sure TCL would have already transferred it’s BB Licensing rights over with all the Key2 hardware thrown in free.

It’s dead and over. Let’s begin some kind of acceptance with all the evidence and common sense logic we possess.
    ppeters914 and John Albert like this.
    01-21-20 10:48 AM
    That if Nokia had any interest, they would have already licensed BB Secure with PKB at this point. I’m sure TCL would have already transferred it’s BB Licensing rights over with all the Key2 hardware thrown in free.

It’s dead and over. Let’s begin some kind of acceptance with all the evidence and common sense logic we possess.
    Harsh words, but undoubtedly true .
    01-21-20 10:57 AM
    Let's dream. Let's imagine a profitable product that makes everybody happy including Blackberry fans.

I propose a device manufactured by Nokia. The device would be running Android One of course.
    Powered with a Blackberry physical keyboard -under BlackBerry licence- would benefit of high end performance and a proven PKB.
    The device would take full advantage of a partnership BB-nokia in order to develop a software suite for running the PKB and fully integrate it into Android One.
    In addition, they would benefit on the experience of BlackBerry to develop ergonomic and balanced devices.

This device would be just one model of Nokia, not a new brand. Focused on business people and fans, would reach a market segment big enough for sustainability. It would be the perfect device for Blackberry enterprise services user as well, I mean, some big corporations.

If Nokia remain in business, maybe one day they'll make a pkb phone. They don't need blackberry knowledge for that. Would certainly be nice, could be pkb with a good camera!
    01-21-20 10:58 AM
    Every “ifs” that exist in crackberry for the past few years are pretty much nonsense.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    01-21-20 11:05 AM

I think the market has spoken on the physical keyboard.
    01-21-20 11:28 AM
    Every “ifs” that exist in crackberry for the past few years are pretty much nonsense.
    At least 1) Nokia i still in business and 2)has a tradition of good pkb phones.
    jacobacevedog likes this.
    01-21-20 11:36 AM
    The OP's first sentence was "Let's dream" , so in that spirit, I'll indulge in a bit of what if-ism.

If Nokia came out with such a device, it would be a day 1 purchase for me.

But if we are dreaming, the ultimate pkb device for me would be the Passport SE with updated specs running Android One. A close second would be a Classic, minus the toolbelt (or larger Q10), with capacitive keyboard and updated specs running Android One.
    01-21-20 11:41 AM
    Nokia isn’t really the same Nokia, it’s HMD and HMD entered the business buying the failed assets from Microsoft so again different company. HMD doesn’t really have any PKB history but Nokia PKB hasn’t been done in years.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    01-21-20 11:42 AM
    Nokia isn’t really the same Nokia, it’s HMD and HMD entered the business buying the failed assets from Microsoft so again different company. HMD doesn’t really have any PKB history but Nokia PKB hasn’t been done in years.
    You're right. However if someome should make a pkb phone today a Nokia named phone should be the trusted one besides Blackberry. Also I'm not sure what Nokia left to MS and what they kept. AFAIK Nokias relation to HMD was their own restart of mobile business and was not related to MS.. or am I wrong?
    01-21-20 12:05 PM
    If HMD Global wants to release a PKB phone, they already have an access to the amazing Nokia's patents in hardware. They can easily revive the legend E-Series without the need of BlackBerry help. But, the problem with the PKB phones that no one cares about except for the few remaining fans here in Crackberry.
    mikael11 and PantherBlitz like this.
    01-21-20 12:26 PM
    We can say the same for Palm that TCL owns.
    01-21-20 12:27 PM
    If HMD Global wants to release a PKB phone, they already have an access to the amazing Nokia's patents in hardware. They can easily revive the legend E-Series without the need of BlackBerry help. But, the problem with the PKB phones that no one cares about except for the few remaining fans here in Crackberry.
    Maybe not exactly now, but needs and trends may change.
    01-21-20 01:00 PM
    I think the market has spoken on the physical keyboard.
    I agree, the market has spoken so badly on pkb.

But at the same time the market has evolved a lot, and now is more able to adapt to the needs of smaller groups (I.e. BlackBerry fans) than it used to be.

The industry is more modular, innovation is way cheaper... I am just saying that a good Android powered with PKB could be a good business. A mid size business, clearly not the global thing that BBMo tried over recent times (and I thank them deeply )

There is the example of Titan... but it is a bizarre device, maybe laking some security. But a promising first step for other models.
    01-21-20 01:02 PM
    Just for clarification:
    From wikipedia:

"HMD Global Oy, branded as HMD, is a Finnish mobile phone company, made up of the mobile phone business that Nokia had sold to Microsoft in 2014, then bought back in 2016."
    01-21-20 01:44 PM
    The industry is more modular, innovation is way cheaper... I am just saying that a good Android powered with PKB could be a good business.
    Regardless of who manufactures them, PKB phones will always have to overcome the fact that they are necessarily more expensive than all-touch and that carriers are hesitant to carry items that are prone to returns.

The BlackBerry strategy had always been to cut corners here and there in order to reduce price but those efforts could only do so much given the volume produced.
    01-21-20 02:24 PM
    Regardless of who manufactures them, PKB phones will always have to overcome the fact that they are necessarily more expensive than all-touch and that carriers are hesitant to carry items that are prone to returns.

The BlackBerry strategy had always been to cut corners here and there in order to reduce price but those efforts could only do so much given the volume produced.
    This is a good point -PKB prone to returns- not frequently rised but very relevant (I sent back to Amazon one Priv, one K1 and two K2s due to PKB problems)
    01-21-20 02:28 PM

No interested in another PKB BlackBerry Android unless the PKB is fully supported by Android for all apps.

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    01-21-20 02:41 PM
    No interested in another PKB BlackBerry Android unless the PKB is fully supported by Android for all apps.

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    Fully supported by Android for all apps... you are opening the Pandora's box.
    I want the same, but I can live with a partial support
    01-21-20 02:54 PM
    I was following the Nokia Reddit as I was looking at the Pureview 9 device. But way too many complaints about updates. Android One is just not up to snuff.
    01-21-20 03:00 PM
    I was following the Nokia Reddit as I was looking at the Pureview 9 device. But way too many complaints about updates. Android One is just not up to snuff.
    What do you mean??
    01-21-20 03:09 PM
    Well, someone posted 4 days about they just got A10 on their 6.1 Plus. Other people complaining that the PureView updates aren't fixing bugs, and new lags after A10 update. Maybe it's that people who have issues are more vocal and that's causing me to pause. As I look to upgrade my K2 in the second half of 2020, I am really focusing on the track record of OEMs pace at updates. That and my choice of OEMs are really limited to devices on the Android Enterprise Recommended list.
    01-21-20 04:18 PM
    Well, someone posted 4 days about they just got A10 on their 6.1 Plus. Other people complaining that the PureView updates aren't fixing bugs, and new lags after A10 update. Maybe it's that people who have issues are more vocal and that's causing me to pause. As I look to upgrade my K2 in the second half of 2020, I am really focusing on the track record of OEMs pace at updates. That and my choice of OEMs are really limited to devices on the Android Enterprise Recommended list.
    I would stick with Pixel, Samsung, or Android One. OnePlus has been excellent too, but have no stated policy afaik.

Honestly Nokia is excellent with updates and security patches.
    John Albert likes this.
    01-21-20 04:30 PM
    Lets dream about getting pie first. After that happen, lets dream about anything else.
    01-21-20 04:32 PM
    I would stick with Pixel, Samsung, or Android One. OnePlus is good too, but have no stated policy afaik.

Honestly Nokia is excellent with updates and security patches.
    I'd like to get OnePlus, but they are not on the AER list. Nor is Samsung. As of today, I'm limited to Pixel or Nokia. Hopefully MS Surface Duo gets on the AER list soon as it's launched.
    01-21-20 04:35 PM
43 12