Canceling my plan. Will my BB cease to work, or will I be able to use some features over wifi? The main one I am interested in is BBM, But surfing web would be nice.

~S

ps - i know this sounds bizarre, it is a long story.
    06-04-10 03:26 PM
    BBM will not work without a data plan.
    06-04-10 03:30 PM
    No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no. You need BIS. Period!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-10 06:17 PM
    web surfing will work but other than that your phone will be usless.
    06-04-10 06:29 PM
    web surfing will work but other than that your phone will be usless.
    Not the case with me. My active phone is a 9700. When I turn on my old 8900, the wifi symbol will never change from gray to white. In other words it'll connect to the wifi network but it won't transfer any data or do any surfing. I assume this is because it doesn't have a BIS connection.
    06-04-10 09:17 PM
    Your best bet is to understand how a Blackberry works when it comes to data. Much of the functionality of the bb is controlled by service books which are sent by a BIS or BES server. Email and IM use Push Technology (the BIS or BES server sends data to your phone when an update occurs) and enabling these features require service books. If you look at your service books you'll even see a "Wifi TCP Browser" entry which enables this functionality.

Almost all of the internet functionality (email, web, im, etc) are all based off the BIS/BES server.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-10 11:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD